Lion only in Mac App Store....BOO!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Apple Expert, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Although it's great it's all digital, but no DVD to install? But the price is good, $29.99. Hopefully there is ways to utilize the Disc Utility on clean installs.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I would guess that there would have to be a way to do this. Hopefully you're downloading an ISO from the App Store. (Like the way Boot Camp works - lets you download and burn drivers).

Another interesting question - what about the people that never upgraded to Snow Leopard? They can't get the App Store.

3. LastLine macrumors 65816

Great price but I share the install concerns. I'd hate to have to install snow leopard to install Lion. Time will tell.

4. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bet we can burn a backup DVD from the downloaded app. But I bet anything it will either marry itself to the s/n of that machine or ..... To our iCloud/apple ID to track/activate.

Fair but sure to cause the hackintosh community an extra 5 or so minutes of hacking, hah.

5. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Yeah, we definitely need a clean install option. I guess Apple could either provide it on a disc or flash drive if you buy a new computer or have it as an upgrade to snow leopard only.

If you have already have a Mac running SL and you want to do a new install (like adding a new HD) you would have to format your drive, install snow leopard from disc, update it to the latest version and then install Lion off of Mac app store. Not real happy if this is how things are to work.

6. Mowgli21, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

Mowgli21 macrumors regular

Looks like you will have to upgrade to snow leopard.

Step 1:
    Make sure your Mac can run Lion.
    Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion. Find out if your current Mac has one of these processors by clicking the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then choosing About This Mac.

Step 2:
    Make sure you have the latest version of Snow Leopard.
    Get up to date with the latest version of OS X Snow Leopard to purchase OS X Lion from the Mac App Store. If you have Snow Leopard, click the Apple icon and choose Software Update to install the latest version.

Step 3:
    Download OS X Lion from the Mac App Store.
    When OS X Lion is released in July, open the Mac App Store from your Dock to buy and download it. Then follow the onscreen instructions to install Lion.

Taken off the lion page http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

7. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Maybe a clean install option will be given after the download?

8. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

I don't like the fact that we are not given the choice to buy it in a DVD. I was expecting some more features to be unveiled today but for 30$ is good.

9. And macrumors 6502

And

If you look on the apple website at the list of 250 'features' - you will find one which indicates that Lion restore happens via a Lion partition which makes me think a condition of installing is that you will have to repartition your HD.

Not sure I am 'upgrading'. :-(

10. ngrout macrumors newbie

If you visit the page linked in the quote above, you'll notice that it says, "To upgrade on day one" before it lists the three steps. Downloading from the App Store seems like a sensible way for early adopters to install something as quickly as possible. To me, the phrasing suggests additional options as the release rolls out.

11. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Lion: $29.99

Frying an egg on my acoustic coupler: Priceless!

12. interrobang macrumors 6502

This.

I haven't seen anything that says there won't be a DVD release available eventually. Only that it will be available on the Mac App store at such-and-such a price and such-and-such a time.

The DVD may be a special order, and it'll probably cost a good deal more than $29 (kind of like how Leopard DVDs are now...they're not advertised or carried in stores, but they're still available by phone order at $129.)

13. ngrout macrumors newbie

Start an Uproar

We could start a pretty good uproar if we started the rumor that Jobs didn't announce a disc version of the upgrade because it's going to be Blu-ray-based and he doesn't want to rock the boat. :eek:

14. JamDonut macrumors member

i agree that it sucks i like to do a clean install every now and then and now it's going to take twice as long to do, not to mention if the 4GB file downloads anything like as slowly as XCode il have to have several shaves before i can use lion...

On the plus side i think people are overlooking the fact that one of the reasons lion s so cheap is because there are no distribution costs. So swings and roundabouts i guess.

Like may others here, i'm hoping we download the disc image, but tbh it doesn't look like it from steve's keynote :(

15. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Laptop upgrade?

What are the chances that I'll be able to upgrade for free if I buy a new 15" MBP now?

16. Apple Expert, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011

Apple Expert thread starter macrumors 65816

This is what AppleInsider is reporting.
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article...0_7_lion_for_29_99_only_in_mac_app_store.html

The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request.

Here is the website when you purchase a new Mac from now till Lion is released.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

17. old-wiz, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011

old-wiz macrumors G3

That assumes that the Lion distribution doesn't check for apple account on the computer. Apple could well add code that would check to make sure you have purchased the upgrade on your Apple account.

18. Apple Expert thread starter macrumors 65816

Everything downloaded in any of Apple's digital stores (iBooks, iTunes, App Store) always requires an Apple ID. I don't see how this would be any different.

19. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Thank you!

20. ritmomundo, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

21. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I just installed Lion tonight. I downloaded it as a developer. It comes across as an app that can be copied to another machine. I'm assuming the same restrictions apply, that you have to have the same iTunes account. Thus all you need to do is copy it to a flash drive and you're set to go. But yes, looks like you'll need SnowLeopard.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All Macs must have SL to upgrade. No physical distribution is possible.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html#distribution

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

This will affect corporate upgrades. What a train wreck for Apple.

24. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Yea, we aren't looking forward to this at the company I work for.

25. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I'm sure apple will have a solution for institutions. They aren't that short-sighted.