Lion OSX & Aperture, LR and PS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fcortese, Jul 20, 2011.

1. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Now that Lion is finally here, I for one, will be waiting to see the responses, in particular, glitches or problems that people may run into with it before taking the plunge and downloading it. I think many on this site may be of the same mindset. So, if there are any of you adventurous souls out there who have loaded Lion, please share with the rest of us how it works with Aperture, LR, etc. I have read the PT lens had some issues with one of the pre-released versions of Lion, for example. Thanks.

2. TheReef, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Aperture 2.0 crashes when dodging and burning... :( :( :(

Photoshop Elements 3 won't launch (No Rosetta).

And intertial scrolling makes my head spin... unpleasant (imo) when trying to move around fast in Aperture, or anything else... luckily you can disable it in universal access.

Really slick OS though, plenty of nice touches.

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

4. bluap84 macrumors 6502

How about Photoshop CS5 ill be using this for my retouching work. Would suck if it didnt work :(

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

According to http://roaringapps.com/ it's fine.

6. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Since I have Aperture 3, I am waiting on feedback from those users.:)

7. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Waiting for no less than half a year before I even consider touching Lion, if I am interested at all.

I still have STRONG reservations about upgrading to an OS who's main selling point is that it "is influenced by a phone OS"

8. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I know I have some reservations, while I like the look of some of the features I'd be keen to see and make sure the Nik Software plugins still work unaffected.

9. W1MRK macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard does everything I want. All my programs work great, sorry Lion, not this time. I see no reason to upgrde.

10. cube macrumors G5

Kodak DCS software and Fujifilm Hyper Utility are PPC.

11. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Exactly. Lion only adds things I DO NOT WANT, and does not add anything I have wanted AFAIK.

Hell, if apple had bought out the makers of better snap tool and implemented the tech in Lion I would have bought it.

Instead we get bogus consumer toy features like

"dissapearing scroll bars that look like your iphones!"
    "full screen, just like your ipad!"
    "A new spring board just like your iphones!"
    "face time, just like skype!"
    "new cool skins on your programs to make them look old fashioned and kitschy!"

Now some actual, verbatim "additions" from the horses mouth:

"Yearless birthdays- You can now add birthdays to your contacts without including a year." GREAT. FINALLY!
    "Saves as you go - Apps developed with Auto Save can automatically save changes to your document as you work" THANK GOD. NONE OF MY APPS DO THIS ALREADY. APERTURE DOESNT, NEITHER DOES MS WORD!
    "Arrange apps any way you like - You can rearrange apps by dragging their icons to a new location or even to another page." SWEEEEET

Seriously? I'm still laughing at the naysayers who were hating on the predictions that "apple is slowly doing away with their desktop os". Lion is one of the final nails in the coffin.

12. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Mission Control (with the new gestures), full screen, and the new Mail and Safari apps have me feeling pretty comfortable with the update, but to each his own.

I would have thought that options making more screen real estate available (disappearing scroll bars, full screen apps, etc.) would have been better received by someone with an interest in photo editing.

13. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Yes, I'd like to know about this as well since NIK will probably be something I will be getting in the not so distant future,

14. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I'm downloading Lion this very moment, but I'll be playing with it on my MacBook for a while before I take the plunge and install it on my workhorse iMac. I have been meaning to install Aperture on on the MacBook for a while anyway, so maybe I'll go ahead and do that now to test how it (and any plugins) work with Lion.

15. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I've tested Canon's Eos Utility, Lightroom and Photoshop CS3 on the developer edition of Lion all looked to be fine. CS3 had a moan about a couple of plugins I don't use (can't recall what they were).

Hopefully they'll be fine on the downloaded version, when it finishes.

Things are sloooooooow tonight (my connection)

16. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

17. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Thanks for all of the hard work, flosseR! Great, great info.

18. tmagman macrumors 6502

no problems with LR3 or PS CS5X after installing Lion. They still work like a charm!

19. Keleko macrumors 68000

I took the plunge after work today, too. I don't have that many apps I use daily. Aperture 3 works fine with Photomatix plugin. I did note that Aperture doesn't remember that it was in full screen mode when closed and starts again as a window. PSE 9 works fine. That's the full extent of the photography apps I've tried so far.

Overall, it has been a rather boring update. I've noticed nothing broken yet. It didn't take long to tweak settings to the way I want them, or at least want to try them. Now I'm back to just using it. :)

20. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

I found this funny!

"Apple, you have ruined my life many times in our illustrious past, but you're not gonna get away with it this time! Why, you ask? Because I, your favourite customer, will not on this occasion be spending my money (for which you will rue the day) on your rubbish OS ideas. You can fool all the others, but you should know by now Apple, that you can't fool me with your guinea pigging releases...."

Etc...

Meanwhile, while the planet isn't revolving around you, a few users all over the world are enjoying the next generation typewriters and carphones and microwave ovens along with their futuristic and productive, revolutionary priced version of OSX. Mail & iCal alone make this worthwhile, but surely there's more to it than that, right? OR is it really just eye-candy?

Maybe there are fundamentally robust 'things' going on underneath all that just to make life easier and more convenient for people who work on their computers for much of the day. If that's the case then Lion will most probably continue to improve and speed up the workflow for professionals while making it easier for consumer users who also want to be allowed to use the shiny computers. Everybody wins.

And I'm not particularly a fanboy either. There are a few minor bugs as there are with any release - it's not perfect, and some of them are infuriating, but it's nothing like it was with Leopard, and I'm guessing that those things will get fixed as the world keeps turning...

The points you mention and deride are all the beginnings of access points for a universal across platform interface, and it works very well. They are not there to upset you just because you can't or don't want to your head around it.

These forums are full of people stamping their feet and sulking because Apple didn't include an actual Lion in the download, or some such BS. Get over it - take your $30 and buy a ticket to the zoo.

21. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Best comment I have read so far....

Some people like Lion, some don't. well if you don't then go check out what Windows 8 brings you or whatever makes you happy but don't rant at stuff that is outweight by fundamental changes and the fact that the new OS costs 30 dollars.. a FRACTION of what the Software on your PC cost.. if you bought it all..I actually had a guy mail me about my list of software that works on Lion that his cracked version Photoshop CS5 stopped working and I should add that to the list.. WTF!!!

My 2c.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed. Sort of. ;)

I don't think it's the "final nail in the coffin", as you said, but I wouldn't be missing much if I didn't upgrade immediately.

My favourite supposed "feature" is LaunchPad (aka: a grid of app icons). It reminds me of my Windows XP desktop at work. Lots of icons, and searching for what you want. It works OK for small screens like my iPhone, but I don't even think it works well on iPads (someone PLEASE come up with something better.....), let alone full laptop screens. It's like Stacks, but this takes up more space. :confused:

AirDrop looks like it could be useful on some occasions, Mail.app looks fantastic and very well thought-out, and I can imagine Mission Control being good (although it only seems different to Spaces and Exposé, not necessarily "better" than my current setup that uses BetterTouchTool for all kinds of awesomeness). I just find some/most it a stretch to call some of these things "features".

"Drag Files" isn't a feature. You were always able to drag files from one folder to another. Now it just looks better.

"Sort" in Finder isn't a feature. It's such a basic thing that it's almost insulting to call something like the ability to sort files by type a "feature".

"Swipe for Exposé" is something that already existed, as far as I'm aware. That, and BetterTouchTool is still a better multitouch program because it can do ANYTHING.

23. Kebabselector, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Great list,

I've tested Spyder3Elite 3.1.4 today and it worked fine for me. Think I'll hold off that upgrade to Version 4!

Canon EOS utilities (supplied with the 5D Mk II) work fine for me.

VMWare Fusion Ver 2 works fine (well it runs a VM XP anyway)

To be honest I thought it would be good, but after trying it and coming to a same conclusion I've deleted the icon from the dock. Also removed Mission Control, only because I can access it via a gesture instead. I removed Dashboard form the Mission Control/Spaces view as well, i've still got the Dashboard icon on the dock so I can run it from that instead.

I set Mail to use the classic view instead, the iPad style view doesn't really work on a 1680x1050 screen. I guess some will love the features though, as an OS update i'm happy with the little improvements. Just need to find a replacement for RsyncX now!

24. MattSepeta, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I should have better elaborated my points, but thanks for your attempt at mockery. Of course I am not their "favorite customer", and of course I am in the now minority of users. I am allowed to have an opinion, though.

The one thing I will give Apple is the outrageously low price-point and multi-machine license. Good on them.

Now as for your comment of a "universal across platform interface".... That is the absolute last thing I want. Think about it, common logic decides that no interface optimized for a 2.5" screen AND a 27" screen is not going to do everything as well as it could. It's going to be full of compromises. It's going to be a step forwards in some areas, sure, but a step back in other areas.

Anyways- One of the big reasons I was steamed up is a friend had told me that Lion was not compatible with his Macbook because Lion was incompatible with c2d processors. My plan was to install Lion and test it with my workflow on my old c2d imac. Now I know that Lion will install and run on a c2d, so I might just give it a shot this evening. $30 is a great incentive in itself.

25. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I did read in one of the several reviews of Lion that you needed OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) on board first. The word is already long out on Intel-PC machines not being able to use Lion. Let us know how your workflow and photographic apps work with Lion. I, for one, would be interested.:)