Lion problems on 2011 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dmelgar, Jul 28, 2011.

1. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I waited for the updated Mini and bought it first day available.

I'm running into problems with practically every feature I was hoping to take advantage of with the Mini & Lion.

- Remote screen sharing:
    It works, but very sporadic. Sometimes its fine, but usually it hangs up for 10 seconds at a time, then finally does what I said, then hangs for another 10 seconds. Totally unusable.
    Lion has a new virtual screen mode which works, sometimes, but has hung the mini I'm sharing into many times. I sometimes get a spinning wheel that never ends. Can't login, can't even get to any login screen. Have to hard poweroff.

- Wake up on Wifi:
    This sounds great. Should be able to wake up a sleeping Mini by attempting to access some of its resources. Except that it doesn't work. Its been reported on the Apple website, several people have submitted a bug report. No response from Apple.

- Highdef Netflix:
    I was hoping such a powerful machine would be able to smoothly view Netflix high def, but I still see choppiness in it. Not sure who's fault it is. I can watch other highdef content from VLC, Quicktime, even YouTube (flash) without problem, generally regardless of format.

- Bluetooth mouse:
    I have a Microsoft bluetooth mouse which I've been using with an old white Macbook without trouble for a year. Now with the Mini and Lion, sometimes the mouse seems to lose its pairing. The Mini will says its offline, but sometimes it says its online but still won't work. Eventually I have to put the mouse in pair mode again, the Mini says its already paired, but if paired again it works fine again... until the next time it fails.
    I don't know if this is a Lion problem or Mini with its new bluetooth support.

- Unrelated to the Mini, I've also tried using XCode in full screen mode on my Macbook Air. Usually works fine, but I've ended up with the system hung totally unresponsive, requiring poweroff reboot. After losing my work a couple of times I decided its not worth the risk and havent used fullscreen mode. Haven't had it lockup since.

Anyone else having similar problems?

2. Snips macrumors regular

I have a new Mac mini, running Lion (obviously), upgraded to 8GB RAM. I'm in the process of setting this up as my Server, so it's not my daily driver.

Works great for me, from another Mac mini still running on Snow Leopard.

Yet to experiment with this, though it took me a while to get it working on my 2010 mini running Snow Leopard.

I have no experience of Netflix streaming.

I'm not using a mouse, but I have a BT keyboard & magic pad, and both work fine.

I use Xcode heavily, but have not yet used it under Lion, so I'll report back.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

How much ram is in your mini? Lion will not do what you are doing with 2gb ram. It will need 4gb ram at the least. right now after my testing and getting ram usage of 3 to 4.5gb ram with not much running I tell everyone go out and buy 8gb ram it is low cost.

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I upgraded both of my Macs to Lion and had no luck getting screen sharing over the same LAN to work either after using it without incident on SL. I rolled back both machines to SL and have since reinstalled Lion on my Macbook while keeping my Mini on SL and screen sharing from the MB to the Mini (Lion to SL) works fine.

I'd guess either it's a bandwidth issue or a problem with Silverlight as none of the other programs you mentioned use it. Make sure you have the most recent version installed and if so, try reinstalling it.

This may be a longshot but did you remove the pairing from the Macbook and if not, is the Macbook on and within bluetooth range of mouse now? I only ask because I moved a wireless keyboard from one Mac to another a while back but both were within bluetooth range of each other and I kept losing connectivity until I removed the pairing from the initial computer.

5. dmelgar thread starter macrumors 68000

Interesting idea. The Macbook was not on at the time, but we have used it. I wonder if it could have confused the mouse or the Mini.