Lion UpToDate Program Woes

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iDuel, Jul 20, 2011.

1. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Hello! I'm new to MacRumors. I've been a lurker for awhile now and decided to finally create an account.

Now to the topic....

I bought my first Mac just a couple of weeks ago so I knew I was qualified for the program. Today when lion was released I went to Apple.com/macosx/uptodate and chose to go through the longer application that is not based off of the Apple Online Store since I do not have a credit card.

Apparently my application needs to be reviewed, so I am asking how long it actually takes for my application to be reviewed before I get my App Store redemption code in my in-box.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!

2. iDuel thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDuel

3. ckl91 macrumors newbie

The Up To Date page states Apple will email a code within 24 hours of receiving your online form. Since it needs to be checked manually by a person, it's unlikely you will receive it until tomorrow unless they have people working through the night.

4. jiaerwang macrumors newbie

can't even finish the longer application... it says my SN is invalid, ****** apple

5. MKang25 macrumors regular

I thought it was done instantly. I just input my serial and info and it gave me my serial right away.

6. ckl91 macrumors newbie

iDuel is referring to a separate form for those who cannot redeem a code through the Apple Online Store. This form is manually checked by Apple to verify you are eligible.

7. iDuel thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDuel

You must have used the Apple Online Store method where you had to input a payment method to continue if you didn't have one already connected to the account.

8. DaMan05 macrumors member

Please keep us up to date on how long it takes. I was just searching how to get Lion on a qualifying computer for free without a credit card and thanks to you found my answer.

I have a credit card, but would rather keep it away from the data hoarders over at Apple. I'm at work now and will complete the alternate form when I get home. Thanks for the heads up and let us know how it goes :)

9. iDuel thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I feel the same way.

I will keep everyone updated.

10. iDuel thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Its been 24hours and still no email...:confused:

Should I try AppleCare again?

11. DaMan05 macrumors member

12. iDuel thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDuel

the form initially said that it would take 24hrs.

13. iShztt macrumors newbie

I bought an iMac and a Macbook Pro on the same day back in June. The Pro redeem code went right through and the iMac keeps coming up with "invalid serial number". I called apple and the serial number issue is due to server problems on apples end and if you have to send in the long form expect up to 10 business days to get the redeem code. The representative did say that I could keep trying the apple online store for the code while I waited.

In the end not very promising.

14. iShztt macrumors newbie

The small print says code will be emailed 24 hours after approval...which can take up to 10 business days.:eek:

15. iDuel thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Wow. They obviously didn't think the distribution method through before launch.

16. jiaerwang macrumors newbie

Purchased myself and requested for refund. Suggest you all do the same instead of waiting and complaining here.

17. etcetera macrumors member

I've seriously considered this option since this all started yesterday morning. I'm having the same issues as everyone else in the UTD program -- finally got through the long form last night, received an email with a claim reference number, and was told to wait for another email. 12+ hours later - nada.

So...how do you go about requesting the refund once I've purchased it? How receptive was AppleCare (or whoever you talked to) with this as a solution to our problem? Basically -- Am I gonna have to fight forever to get my $30 back?

18. DaMan05 macrumors member

I am going to opt for the path of patience and wait it out.

They are people after all and the load is a lot.

Apple is finally getting a taste of what it's like to be Microsoft.

19. jiaerwang macrumors newbie

Actually I found just now that my institute has an institutional license for downloading lion... I shouldn't have purchased it yesterday. But, you are right, I WILL fight with Apple forever to get my $30 back...

20. iDuel thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I asked the representative if I could possibly buy it from the App Store, then request a refund, but he said that it was not possible and that they would not do so.

21. iDuel thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDuel

22. etcetera macrumors member

Then I suppose the only thing we can do is wait. Someone mentioned in another thread that their representative had mentioned that issue should be fixed by Monday!!

I was really hoping to spend the weekend playing with Lion. Guess that's not gonna happen.

Oh, and I'll complain in here as long as I damn well please. Thanks.

23. DaMan05 macrumors member

No. You're not allowed.

24. etcetera macrumors member

Way ahead of you. Filed a couple last night. Says afterwards not to expect a personal reply though. Too bad. I thought I was pretty poetic with all my swears and whatnot. :rolleyes:

25. iDuel thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I was also told that Apple was back-logged with claims.