Lion Users - Is Final Cut Pro X any different in Lion?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mr-Stabby, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

Now that Lion is out, i'm just wondering if anyone with FCPX has noticed any new features that are not currently working in SL or any changes at all. Something like Full Screen ? Probably not, but worth asking :)

2. brutusvimes macrumors member

No full screen mode in Lion yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple released an update soon. iMovie does support full screen already.

3. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Was wondering the same thing. Please post any changes (subtle or not) here.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Wondering myself as well; Until Avid qualifies MC for Lion I won't be upgrading.

5. brutusvimes macrumors member

Haven't noticed any differences yet. With iWork, iLife and Aperture now updated for Lion, I'm sure Final Cut is soon to follow. :)

6. till213 Suspended

Versions, "Save as" and Basic Filters

I just quickly tried (for 5 minutes) FCP X on Lion, but I did not discover any new functionality either.

I was specifically hoping to get some kind of "Save a Version" functionality, where you can actually save a "snapshot / version" of your project (you know, this "auto-save with history", "Save a version" functionality in Lion), as described e.g. here

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/7

Experimenting with stuff on an existing project, just to realise moments later that all changes are now permanent is so frustrating... and which creative person (wants to) remembers the number of undo-steps to get back to the "last valid version"? Well, I don't. Not to mention application crashes which erase the undo stack anyway...

Oh and yes, I am missing "essential" filters/transitions such as the "Blink" filter (which lets you drop every n-th frame and show the underlying media instead). They were even available in the Express version earlier!

"Night vision" effects? Well, who needs them! Give us back the BASIC filters! (Oh and yeah, you can bet I am going to write Apple about this ;)

I was hoping to get some additional filters through this new "video architecture" in "Lion" as well, but did not find any at a quick glance...

Cheers

7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Nope, no changes for FCX in Lion. It's the same as is was in Snow Leopard...it still sucks. :D

8. mBox macrumors 68020

Nicely put but after a few weeks alongside with Avid MC I beg to differ ;)

9. bluap84 macrumors 6502

dont see what peoples stigma is about FCPX ok its not FCP 7 but it wasnt meant to be.

out of all the hardcore pros who actually make their bread and butter from editing - said that its sucks..im sure quite many although people dont like change! maybe thats the issue.

the more i use FCPX the more im likining it...so maybe people just need to give it time?

for what its worth...i havent had any issues with FCPX and Lion. Doubt there will be any major issues, as both software releases are very new. From Larry's blog here are some rumored up coming updates:

1. FCP XML in/out is coming via 3rd party soon…no FCP 6/7 support project support coming ever it seems…

2. Ability to buy FCP7 licenses for enterprise deployments coming in the next few weeks…

3. FCPX EDL import/export coming soon…

4. FCPX AJA plugins coming soon for tape capture and layback…capture straight into FCPX bins.

5. XSAN support for FCPX coming in the next few weeks…

6. FCPX Broadcast video output via #Blackmagic & @AJAVideo coming soon…

7. Additional codec support for FCPX via 3rd Parties coming soon…

8. Customizable sequence TC in FCPX for master exports coming soon…

9. Some FCPX updates will be free some will cost…

10. mobopro macrumors newbie

Projects on external HD not showing up in FCP X under Lion

I've noticed one thing, but it's big and since nobody mentioned it yet, I might be alone in this. I find that when I have an external drive connected, those projects don't show up in the projects list.

Anybody else see this or have any ideas how to fix it?

11. brutusvimes macrumors member

I'm sorry, I don't know how to fix your issue. I'm pretty sure it's not Lion related, however. I work externally and I didn't have an issue after the update.

12. mobopro macrumors newbie

I think you're right. Since posting this, I looked into it more and it appears it's a FCP X related issue. It just so happened that in upgrading to Lion, I backed up my computer to the hard disk with my FCP X projects on it. And apparently there's an undocumented incompatibility between Time Machine and FCP X sharing disks:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3143877?start=0&tstart=0

13. spikor, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

spikor macrumors newbie

Lion & FCPx

Only change I noticed with Aperture was that little Fullscreen arrows button. But it's not really a true new mode as hitting the 'F' key already did that.

As far as Lion and FCP are concerned...I had the same major problem with one of my projects after the upgrade to Lion. I had a project and event that was located on an external drive. After the upgrade it lost all references to the media, but new that the project existed (just all offline). Manually opening it from the drive helped but it wasn't until I consolidated all the media back onto my main hard drive that it started working. Unfortunately, this isn't a 'fix' for me. I need that disk space and performance isn't nearly as good running on my main drive. Hopefully this is because of the Time Machine backup I made and that a new drive will work fine.