Lion with 2GB of Memory?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Topper, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

I have a friend who has a MBP with 2GB of memory.
    He'd like to upgrade to Lion.
    I know 2GB of memory is the absolute minimum.
    Anybody using Lion with 2GB of memory? If so, how is it working out for you?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

the base MBA has 2gb, but it has a ssd.

3. Nitr0 macrumors newbie

Ram is so cheap that I have no idea why you would stick with 2. It's plain stupid. It would be like buying an expensive turbo charged car and then cheaping out and only buying 87 octane.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Appears to be working fine on our original model MBA. Usually have the following running: Safari (including some Flash, at times), Mail, iTunes, and Finale.

If he has a MBP, I would still suggest upgrading RAM to the maximum amount for his model (anywhere from 3GB to 8GB (16, on the latest, but those are very expensive and, for most, 8GB is even overkill)).

5. mountains macrumors regular

I would upgrade to 4 GB RAM, definitely. Should set you back all of about $40.

6. Jrv macrumors regular

Not even. You'll get 8 gigs for 40 bucks.

7. Topper thread starter macrumors 65816

Topper

I don't think my friend will upgrade his memory even if it is only $40.
    He's retired and he's saving his money for a new MBP next year.
    I know, I know, but...

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Share some of your ram you have plenty :D

9. Topper thread starter macrumors 65816

Topper

:)

10. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Beautiful analogy. But why upgrade to lion, he'd save another $30 bucks by sticking to snow leopard.

The only thing lion has brought me is slower start ups, shut downs, wake from sleep internet connections. frustrating features (i hate all these auto saves!). I was getting slower performance issues for a good while at first but that has calmed down. There are a couple of small bugs (things wont open at times, like activity monitor, simple restart required). It also uses up more RAM (not a problem if you have lots of RAM), the Lion restore partition is taking up 12GB of memory space on my computer @_@, things aren't snappy, apple has included animations (that i'm not fond of) on their programs to make it seem nicer, but i find it as waste of time.

Honestly, Snow Leopard is like XP, quick to the point with nothing in the way. while Lion is like Windows 7, added looks, eats up more resources and has some features that you could do without.

11. markintosh macrumors member

markintosh

One 2010 MBA

Works great on my Wife's 2010 MBA with only 2GB.

So, I guess it depends on what you are doing on it....she does email, web, word processing, finances, etc.

I wouldn't try it for my uses (PhotoShop, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc)

12. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Well, we don't know what his friend's memory limitations are? Then again, if his computer is compatible with Lion he is probably could equip his computer with more than 2gigs.

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

When Apple released the new MBA in 2010 with a minuscule 2GB of ram, I knew it was nothing but greed on their part to hold out for maximum profit.

Such a shame, as many did not think and bought it.

Now with Lion they run really slow as compared to my 4GB MBA. And that's just sufficient.

On my 8GB MBP it's really fast.

14. mark76 macrumors newbie

I have firs gen air and thats 2 Gb, can notice its slower than better MBP with Lion. But its usable.

15. Topper thread starter macrumors 65816

Topper