Lion would be SUPER awesome if the...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Honey Badger, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Unlike what I have heard from others, I am loving Lion, but I can't help but think that it would be 50x better if my computer had a touchscreen display like the iPad. I know Steve Jobs said that it is not comfortable to have a touchscreen display on the computer if you use it for more than a few minutes, but I really believe it would make Lion perfect if you had that option as a secondary input to use occasionally and just for certain things. For example, LaunchPad would actually be pretty sweet if the display was touchscreen and you could just quickly tap an app on the screen and then go back to using the trackpad when you get into the app...as it is, I prefer the dock...actually, there are quite a few things in various apps that it would be nice to have a touchscreen display option for a few simple actions.

Anybody else agree?

2. EdwinG macrumors newbie

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Steve Jobs is correct.
    After about 10 minutes your arms ache. Have you not tried any of those Windows based touchscreen desktop computers?

Awful!

4. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Yeah, I realize that, just was suggesting it as an optional secondary input, not a primary input.

5. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Huh?

6. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

I think that maybe in a couple of year the MBA with a reengineering in hinge design could work. However that could cut into the iPad thou.

7. emaja macrumors 68000

Do you want to use another monitor as a secondary input, or simply use your iPad for that?

Either way, I think the Magic Trackpad has that covered.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I too would like a MacPad!!! But, since its not going to happen anytime soon I think I'm gonna get a MBA.

9. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

How much would a Mac cost with a touch screen? :eek:

10. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

11. Reach9, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

At the way OS X is going, I think we could see a "MacPad" in a few years. Running OS X by default, and can dual boot with iOS. It'll be an iPad, but will have a slide-out and adjustable full keyboard. Now, how cool would that be?

The MacPad would possibly replace MacBook Air. The MacBook Pro will take the 'MacBook Air'-type look for the low end, and will feature a liquid metal design for the middle and higher end MacBook Pro. iMac and Mac Pro will still be pro tools.

The iPhone will be around, so will the iPod. The iPad will also be around, but the "MacPad" will be the transition or link between the Mac and iDevices.

AppleTV will become iTV, and will be a full TV supplied by LG. It will still be a hobby though. Apple will enter the gaming industry next.

^my predictions of the future of Apple.

12. Honey Badger, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

No, I have a Macbook Air and I was thinking it would be great if the built-in display had touchscreen capability to use in conjunction with the built-in trackpad...the trackpad being the primary input and the touchscreen being used just for minor things.

Yes, MacPad! I have the MBA and it is awesome so I am not complaining and I highly recommend it, just thought limited touchscreen ability would be even more awesome...but you're right, probably far off and no financial incentive for Steve J. to make one right now.

Let's see, if Steve Jobs put all Apple resources into the research, design, engineering and manufacturing of one special Mac with a touchscreen just for you, I am guessing it would be about $750,000 + tax...but you would get free shipping! ;)

Yep, :D;)

I feel like I have to stick your post in a time capsule and bury it somewhere. ;):)

13. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Pretty sure my triceps would explode after 10 minutes...

14. emaja macrumors 68000

15. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Just getting to know the forum tools as I am new here so thanks much for the tip Emaja!:)

16. marc11 macrumors 68000

I was thinking this morning as I went to touch my screen to open a folder how in some cases it seems natural to touch the screen, probably due to my heavy use of my other i devices. I think as we start to use swipes and more gestures on the trackpad, this will become almost the same. I can say using the larger magic trackpad over the one on my MBP I find it very natural and comfortable. I am starting already to use the dock and other buttons less and using hot corners and swipes more and more.

17. klinic macrumors member

I hope this wasn't sarcasm, as I love newbies who take advice and are thankful for it. =D

OT: I really can see at least one model of mac in the future with a touchscreen, but not like an iMac. More like an angled screen like the Cintiq, so you can still rest your arm.

18. Jeordeon macrumors newbie

You can actually but Mac touch screens. They don't come cheap, though. For a 21.5 inch, about 1.2 grand from TrollTouch. You can also pay extra for them to install it, I think, or buy a Mac from them with touchscreen installed. (Never bought from them though, very expensive)

19. kasakka macrumors 68000

You would have greasy screens, hurting arms and not much more because OSX is not made for touchscreen input. It would have to be radically redesigned for that. If you've ever tried Win7 on a touchscreen device you'd see that it simply doesn't work well.

20. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

The new trackpads are basically screens you touch...

21. kasakka macrumors 68000

Not even close. They move the cursor, with touchscreens there is no cursor since your own finger replaces it. However, your finger isn't shaped like a few pixel size arrow so it's not going to work with regular UIs.

22. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Tablet with a full desktop os on it and touch screen, yes please, i'll have one of them

23. Honey Badger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Yes, not sure if you read my whole original post but that is why I said I would not want it as a primary input, just an every once in awhile secondary input. For example, with launchpad up, hit the app you want via the touchscreen and when it opens, then strictly work through the trackpad....or occasionally hitting a link on a website. Never suggested using the touchscreen to the point of hurting arms.

24. yashrg macrumors regular

yashrg

I agree with Honey Badger. Launchpad on the 27" iMac is a big fail. You have to first scan across the large screen to find the icon for your app and find the mouse pointer and move it all the way over to the icon to click and launch the app. If I could just raise my finger and touch what I am already seeing, the process becomes faster.

25. stevearm macrumors 6502a

So basically, an iPad.

Well done.