Liquid cooled G5s leaking? Must be.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
Went to compusa yesterday and noticed that all the liquid cooled G5s are being shipped upright. This is a first. Have any G5 owners gotten a leaking G5? Why would they start to ship them in an upright box instead of the old one? Hmmm.
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
MacTruck said:
Went to compusa yesterday and noticed that all the liquid cooled G5s are being shipped upright. This is a first. Have any G5 owners gotten a leaking G5? Why would they start to ship them in an upright box instead of the old one? Hmmm.
All the new PM's come upright now - we just got two 2.3's at the office and they came that way.
 

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
512
20
Orlando, FL
Got a 2.3 several weeks ago - traditional box with PM laying on it's side. Must be a really recent change after the latest series was introduced.
 

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
579
0
Cincinnati, OH
If you think about it, when things bounce it would be better to have those components vertical than horizontal i think.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
Probably better ergonomics/physics for lifting the darn things.

Really a bad deal for lifting the darn things if they were off-balance loads when laying flat.
 

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
2,976
2
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I have yet to hear of *any* case of G5 coolant leaking and it is not likely that Apple would change this over isolated cases - only if it was a rampant problem,m which of course we would have heard about. Quit spreading FUD....oh yeah!
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
Duff man says... apple can do no wrong. Apple perfect no way G5 might leak no way even though G5s with liquid cooling have a warning about leaking coolant .... Oh Yeah!

Chill Duff man. We know you LOVE apple and they are God but you never know. They might have had problems with G5s lying on their side. Maybe just maybe.
:D
 

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
2,976
2
Albuquerque, NM
MacTruck said:
Duff man says... apple can do no wrong. Apple perfect no way G5 might leak no way even though G5s with liquid cooling have a warning about leaking coolant .... Oh Yeah!

Chill Duff man. We know you LOVE apple and they are God but you never know. They might have had problems with G5s lying on their side. Maybe just maybe.
:D
Duff-Man says.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ....you have no clue.....I will criticize Apple when warranted - and I have many times....but not where there is nothing to criticize.....oh yeah!
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ....you have no clue.....I will criticize Apple when warranted - and I have many times....but not where there is nothing to criticize.....oh yeah!
Chill duff man chill. Everything will be ok. Apples rep not tarnished. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Besides nobody is criticizing apple. Just stating the G5s shipping style has changed and POSSIBLE reason is leaking coolant. But then again you really don' t have a clue if it is the reason or not. Leaking coolant came to mind as I read somewhere that this happend due to being on its side and apple recommends liquid cooled G5s to stand upgright at all times. No I can't show you where I saw it, I barely remember it but I did read it somewhere.

Basically I was trying to find out if anyone received a leaking G5. Duff man sure nobody ever has obviously. :eek:
 

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
2,976
2
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says.....look - I am not going to start some idiotic flame war. Your thread title did not state "possibly" - it says "Must Be" yet you have no "evidence" at all. You started another thread "blaming" Apple for fed Ex's problems. I like Apple's products but they are not perfect and not beyond faults but I *will* stick up for them when the critisicm is flippant like yours has been, trying to "sensationalize" a probably non-existant problem with your thread title. *You* need to chill and stop trying to be the next 60 Minutes reporter.....and that is my last comment in this thread.....oh yeah!
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says.....and that is my last comment in this thread.....oh yeah!

Thank you.




BTW: Wasn't trying to offend anyone. Sorry if I did. Just seeing if anybody ever got a leaking G5. Should have worded the title better.
 

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,650
28
USA
MacTruck said:
Went to compusa yesterday and noticed that all the liquid cooled G5s are being shipped upright. This is a first. Have any G5 owners gotten a leaking G5? Why would they start to ship them in an upright box instead of the old one? Hmmm.
I am the proud owner for two years of an original [air-cooled] 2.0 GHz G5 and the proud user for a bit over one month of a [liquid-cooled] 2.7 GHz G5. I unpacked them both. Compared to the air-cooled model, the liquid-cooled model was packed the same. If you are seeing boxes shipped on their sides [with the computers upright inside], it is an issue with FedEx or whoever handles the delivery. They probably using floor space in their delivery vans more efficiently. Make no mistake: The natural orientation of the G5's shipping box has the computer on its side. It is virtually impossible to remove the computer from the box in any other orientation. My new G5 does not leak. There is no reason to think that it might, all conjecture to the contrary not withstanding.
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,693
1
LaLaLand, CA
MacTruck said:
Should have worded the title better.
Yes, but since you admitted your mistake we'll let you off with a warning. ;) J/K. Just be careful if you ever buy a new fridge, I hear if you tip them, all the coolant leaks out and they explode. I don't know, some guy told me it happened to his Uncle or something. :p

Shame if this gets Wastelanded, it's quite entertaining.
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
MisterMe said:
I am the proud owner for two years of an original [air-cooled] 2.0 GHz G5 and the proud user for a bit over one month of a [liquid-cooled] 2.7 GHz G5. I unpacked them both. Compared to the air-cooled model, the liquid-cooled model was packed the same. If you are seeing boxes shipped on their sides [with the computers upright inside], it is an issue with FedEx or whoever handles the delivery. They probably using floor space in their delivery vans more efficiently. Make no mistake: The natural orientation of the G5's shipping box has the computer on its side. It is virtually impossible to remove the computer from the box in any other orientation. My new G5 does not leak. There is no reason to think that it might, all conjecture to the contrary not withstanding.

Not shipped on their sides. New boxes that open at the top. So when you open the computer box you see the top of the G5.

Has nobody seen this yet?
 

Douglas Stetner

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2005
2
0
Well, I have had one.... See here

I am not so much mad at the fact that it leaked, but at the fact that it has been over 3 weeks and I still do not have my machine back!

Doug
 

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
8,643
0
Apple have been changing their packaging across all product lines, with an eye toward fitting more product on each container or pallet. Part of it is to cut down shipping costs, part is to help meet their environmental goals.
 

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
563
0
Sydney, Australia
My special PowerMac recently shipped vertical but it is a single 3.6 with no liquid cooling. I have to say the box was easier to move and removing the computer slightly easier. When you open the box you see the keyboard/mouse/software first then the PowerMac's handles.
 

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
iMeowbot
Apple have been changing their packaging across all product lines, with an eye toward fitting more product on each container or pallet. Part of it is to cut down shipping costs, part is to help meet their environmental goals.
Very true about shipping more in the same space and reducing cost/waste even if it's $.15 per container that adds up. I know this all to well (I work in a box/printing factory and customers are always looking to save cost in the areas of shipping/waste.
 

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
3,070
70
MacTruck said:
Went to compusa yesterday and noticed that all the liquid cooled G5s are being shipped upright. This is a first. Have any G5 owners gotten a leaking G5? Why would they start to ship them in an upright box instead of the old one? Hmmm.

On a related note- They stopped making my model of car in green this year- I think it's because they have faulty seatbelts. :rolleyes:
 

krimson

macrumors 65816
Having worked for UPS loading and unloading the trailers, im sure FedEx is the same. Ill tell you that it doesn't matter what orientation the G5 is in, it WILL get put on it's side, it WILL get tapped into it's place on the "wall". If it fits better sideways/upsidedown, that's how it will be packed into the container/trailer in the position that fits best.
 

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
2,174
1
53132
GlynJones said:
My dual 2.0 was shipped in an upright box. Much easier to get the thing out.
iMeowbot said:
Apple have been changing their packaging across all product lines, with an eye toward fitting more product on each container or pallet. Part of it is to cut down shipping costs, part is to help meet their environmental goals.
I think this is why the orientation has changed.