Liquid damage to trackpad, replacement trackpad doesn't work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erasr, Aug 24, 2011.

1. erasr macrumors 6502

A while ago someone spilt apple juice on my MBP. Ever since it's been fine except the trackpad hasn't worked at all.

Recently I ordered a new trackpad part, replaced it perfectly, but it still doesn't work. When I was replacing it I noticed the circuit around the bit the trackpad connects to (on the logic board I guess) had damage from the liquid.

Annoyingly it's only that part of the whole board and laptop that the liquid hit. Consequently the trackpad will never work...

Does this mean it needs a full logic board replacement or does anyone know if they can somehow fix that part of the board? I'm just thinking if it's more than a few hundred pounds I will buy a new MBP/MBA

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It means just that, unless you learn how to solder in a new replacement cable.

3. erasr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for quick reply. So a full logic board, and by any chance do you or anyone know how much Apple Store would charge in £ for that?

Thanks!

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yeah, it's around ~$700 for a new logic board. Basically, I'd rather just buy a new computer for that price.

www.ifixit.com

has the parts you need for a marginally lower price.