Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted a list of over 115 countries where some combination of Apple Music, Apple Music Radio, Beats 1 Radio and iTunes Match are available per iPhone in Canada. Apple Music and Apple Music Radio are available in 110 countries as of today's launch, while Angola, Puerto Rico, Israel, Taiwan, and Turkey are five countries where the streaming music service has yet to launch.

AppleMusicForYou-800x437.jpg
Apple Music's "For You" section for curated playlists and music recommendations

Beats 1 Radio is currently unavailable in select countries, including the Bahamas, Bahrain, Burkina-Faso, Egypt, Hungary, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Mozambique, Namibia, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Taiwan, Turkey and United Arab Emirates. iTunes Match, technically available through Apple Music and as a standalone service, is available in all countries listed except for Romania.

To check the availability of Apple Music, Apple Music Radio, Beats 1 Radio, and iTunes Match in your region, be sure to look at the full list of countries on Apple's website. Apple has also posted a similar list of regions where Apple Music will be available across the U.S. and Canada, Europe, Middle East, Asia Pacific, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean. Not all features of Apple Music will be available in each country.

Article Link: List of Countries Where Apple Music and Beats 1 Radio Are Now Available

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Not available in Taiwan?? Interesting.

I don't understand how iTR was basically in 1 country for 'decades' but this is everywhere at release.

All the sudden they could make agreements with Beats? Weird. Just because of Jimmy?

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Interesting that even though I have a US iTunes account, I'm in Saudi Arabia so therefore no Beats 1 for me.

Reactions: pauliaK

Salecius

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
@Richardgm I'm in Saudi Arabia as well. I've been waiting till 7 PM last night to tune in, just to be slapped with a 403 error. I somehow presumed that when they announced the availability of Music in Saudi Arabia, it meant that beats1 would come along with it. Apparently not. Anyway that didn't stop me from using a VPN client and tuning in.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Interesting... Signed in with my Japanese account, J-Pop and K-Pop stations appear, but nothing plays except Beats 1.

Are they finally implementing geolocation to limit streaming?

JohnSmith595

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
Israel was in the list of countries that Apple Music will launch in, but now it's removed from that list... https://www.apple.com/il/music/ still says "Coming Soon" though.
This is very lame. I waited anxiously and why is it not coming out to Israel now... ?
Would pay monthly for this even if there were no israeli artists streaming their songs.
If I just had to wait a bit more, that would be fine... but seeing it removed from that list is very sad. I wish I got some feedback from them to know what's going on. HUGE fan of Apple.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
This is really an awesome number of countries. Apple really got it right this time. No second iTunes Radio for sure!

etm0001

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2015
Interesting how Apple Music Radio requires an Apple Music membership in all countries outside of the US.
I am in a country not currently supported by Apple Music. I did not sign up for Apple Music. Apple Music Radio is also not offered in my country. Nonetheless, Apple Music Radio works for both on iOS and in iTunes.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
I tuned in, and it really seems to have the issue everyone predicted for a "single radio station for everyone". The music just isn't to my taste. It seems to very much focus on the teenage audience.

Way too much autotune and vocoder for my liking. Almost every song has the "Cher Effect" (and a rap solo).

BBC has Radio 1, Radio 2, etc... Apple needs the same. It may come in time, but for now, it seems they've gone for something to appeal to a teenage audience.

There's a reason that BBC Radio 2 has an audience share three times that of BBC Radio 1... a larger audience exists for adult contemporary music and AOR than for chart hits. Hopefully Apple realises this soon.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I tuned in, and it really seems to have the issue everyone predicted for a "single radio station for everyone". The music just isn't to my taste. It seems to very much focus on the teenage audience.

Way too much autotune and vocoder for my liking. Almost every song has the "Cher Effect" (and a rap solo).

BBC has Radio 1, Radio 2, etc... Apple needs the same. It may come in time, but for now, it seems they've gone for something to appeal to a teenage audience.

There's a reason that BBC Radio 2 has an audience share three times that of BBC Radio 1... a larger audience exists for adult contemporary music and AOR than for chart hits. Hopefully Apple realises this soon.
Pretty sure it's more than just an"teenage" audience.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Interesting how Apple Music Radio requires an Apple Music membership in all countries outside of the US.

I'm listening to Beats 1 without having signed up to the trial right now, in the UK

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
Pretty sure it's more than just an"teenage" audience.

Drake? Megan Trainor? Yeah. It's aimed at a teenage audience.

I listened for about an hour, and did not hear a single classic rock song. No Rolling Stones, no Neil Young... not for me.

Greggles

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2006
St. Saviour, Jersey
Bizarrely, Beats 1 is NOT available in Jersey (in the Channel Islands). Luckily I have Surfeasy VPN installed and so it was a simple matter to "relocate" to mainland UK, US etc!

Reactions: hfletcher
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.