Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
Welp, there it is... it was only a matter of time before my 2012 Mini would fall off the Upgrade Path.

But not looking to upgrade any time soon. This thing is a beast, especially since I put two SSDs inside. Pays for itself practically every single day.

My same thought on my 27” iMac at home, since it has a 1TB SSD and don’t really notice any struggle except during the occasional video editing project. I’m usually a little slow to change desktop OS (usually 3-6 month lag, although I did skip Lion and jumped from SL to ML once), so I definitely have time to get a feel for how the A-series Macs perform before deciding on a 2018/2020 mini or getting an A-series mini with new monitor.

Galanta

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2020
My late-2009 is still hanging in there, but I can't wait forever. Hope the rollout is smooth.

KeithBN

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2017
Bummer that my early 2013 MBP didn’t make the cut. What changed between it and late 2013? The graphics?
Yeah, that’s what I was wondering too, my laptop is that model, sad I won’t be able to upgrade to Big Sur, although otoh I guess it did get 7 major OS updates so that’s kinda not bad.

will attempt to hold on to it until next year and see what suitable ARM replacements come along ?

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Bummer that my early 2013 MBP didn’t make the cut. What changed between it and late 2013? The graphics?
Yeah, that’s what I was wondering too, my laptop is that model, sad I won’t be able to upgrade to Big Sur, although otoh I guess it did get 7 major OS updates so that’s kinda not bad.

will attempt to hold on to it until next year and see what suitable ARM replacements come along ?

The early 2013 MBPs were just a minor processor speed bump to the 2012 models.
Late 2013 then had Haswell, Iris graphics, 802.11ac WiFi, PCIe SSDs and probably more new stuff.

What's rather odd though are the late 2013 iMacs being unsupported.

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
People who haven't upgraded to Catalina by now are weird. Better than Mojave by light years.

dpfenninger

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2005
My 2013 Air is still supported?! Even I am wanting it to die at this point.

Kind of odd to me that the 2013 Air is supported, but not the 2013 iMac, which would seem to be a superior/more capable system. Was hoping to get at least one more macOS version out of this system before looking to upgrade.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Kind of odd to me that the 2013 Air is supported, but not the 2013 iMac, which would seem to be a superior/more capable system. Was hoping to get at least one more macOS version out of this system before looking to upgrade.
The late 2013 iMac indeed is the only odd omission, I can't think of any trait it doesn't share with some supported model (Haswell CPU, same WiFi card as other mid/late 2013 Macs, same series/architecture Nvidia GPUs as 2013/2014 15" MBP).

Reactions: dpfenninger

nspindel

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
My wife and I have two 2012 Mac Minis, each with dual Thunderbolt Displays. Plus we have a 2012 MacBook Air that we share, and my son has a 2012 MacBook Air. So we just saw all of our hardware get the boot from Apple with this release, therefore catching back up again would be a major expense. Sounds like the perfect time to sit on the sidelines and ride out Catalina until at least version 2 of the new silicon. I've just bit the bullet and migrated out of my Mojave/Aperture photo library and into Lightroom, so the big downfall of Catalina is now behind me. And I'm a Parallels user, I run a few things in Windows and that's not going to change. So I can't see myself moving to any kind of new hardware yet, and I'm certainly not going to invest in that amount of hardware in Version 1. So long story short, I'm just staying right where I am for the next few years.

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
It probably requires some sort of SSD storage for the OS. Was the 2013 iMac the last one to not have a fusion drive?

Edit: Scratch that. Just realized the minis are still supported.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
My wife and I have two 2012 Mac Minis, each with dual Thunderbolt Displays. Plus we have a 2012 MacBook Air that we share, and my son has a 2012 MacBook Air. So we just saw all of our hardware get the boot from Apple with this release, therefore catching back up again would be a major expense. Sounds like the perfect time to sit on the sidelines and ride out Catalina until at least version 2 of the new silicon. I've just bit the bullet and migrated out of my Mojave/Aperture photo library and into Lightroom, so the big downfall of Catalina is now behind me. And I'm a Parallels user, I run a few things in Windows and that's not going to change. So I can't see myself moving to any kind of new hardware yet, and I'm certainly not going to invest in that amount of hardware in Version 1. So long story short, I'm just staying right where I am for the next few years.
Tough situation but to be fair I think that 8 years is a decent run. My early 2013 MBP will also not accept Big Sur. Financially it may make sense in future to try to space out your purchase so all your products are not of the same year. You may as well run your current machines until they die.

nspindel

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
Tough situation but to be fair I think that 8 years is a decent run. My early 2013 MBP will also not accept Big Sur. Financially it may make sense in future to try to space out your purchase so all your products are not of the same year. You may as well run your current machines until they die.

Correct. I'm not really complaining about the run, 8 years is fine and it'll probably end up being 10 or 11 years by the time all's said and done. Plenty of time to figure out the next move, I'll be watching the move to the new silicon from the sidelines for a while...

Reactions: wtzouris

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
People who haven't upgraded to Catalina by now are weird. Better than Mojave by light years.
Catalina earned a bad reputation due to many bugs on release - and that impression stuck with people. Besides, Catalina also did away with 32bit support, which alone is reason enough for many people to stay with Mojave.

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
2012 15” MacBook Pro Retina end of the Apple road, AirPort Extreme died yesterday. AppleTV was replaced by an LG OLED. 2012 iMac is used to run ancient 32Bit version of Photoshop and Illustrator - rarely. De-Applefication of my household continues.
I will own a Mac as long as it is necessary to create apps for the iPhone - but happily cancelled all Apple dependencies during the last years.

Will Apple rise again and will it get back into the hearts of the developers? Or is Tim going to write a book „How I ruined a billion dollar company“? I‘ll keep watching.

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Catalina earned a bad reputation due to many bugs on release - and that impression stuck with people. Besides, Catalina also did away with 32bit support, which alone is reason enough for many people to stay with Mojave.

I think that's the point. As of 10.15.5, Catalina seems very solid – maybe more so than Mojave ever was.
Certainly not the worst OS to be left behind on, and supporting third party Catalyst apps might be an increasingly significant advantage over Mojave going forward.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Besides not running 32 bit, Catalina also doesn't run Quicktime 7, which is one of my favourite programs.

I am also a fairly basic user who doesn't need the latest bells and whistles, and who mostly sticks to the previous generation of Apple system and hardware, because all the bugs are either sorted or well known with work arounds, and the hardware is cheaper and has genuine parts available from non-Apple sources.

Nothing wrong with Catalina, but nothing wrong with staying on Mojave for a while longer either. Horse for courses.

I am likely to be on Mojave for some time yet.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Ahh, phooey. It looks as though my 2012 i7 MacMini will just have to forever live with Catalina which runs very well. I was really hoping Big Sur was going to be 10.16. and not 11.0. Fortunately, I also have a current 6-core i7 MacMini which I'll be able to install Big Sur on. I'm not entirely upset because the 2012 i7 MacMini has lasted me a long time and I definitely got my money's worth out of it. It will still serve me well for other uses.

Reactions: Miat

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
I think that's the point. As of 10.15.5, Catalina seems very solid – maybe more so than Mojave ever was.
Certainly not the worst OS to be left behind on, and supporting third party Catalyst apps might be an increasingly significant advantage over Mojave going forward.

Besides not running 32 bit, Catalina also doesn't run Quicktime 7, which is one of my favourite programs.

I am also a fairly basic user who doesn't need the latest bells and whistles, and who mostly sticks to the previous generation of Apple system and hardware, because all the bugs are either sorted or well known with work arounds, and the hardware is cheaper and has genuine parts available from non-Apple sources.

Nothing wrong with Catalina, but nothing wrong with staying on Mojave for a while longer either. Horse for courses.

I am likely to be on Mojave for some time yet.

Catalina 10.15.5 is probably the best macOS release in aeons. Nothing will ever be so bad like the early releases of Yosemite.

Throwing out 32-bit support was actually one of the best things Apple has done, forced many devs to get off their rocking chairs, along with improving performance in their apps, they had more than 3 years advance notice to get in-line.

Arvind Chitram

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2020
Since my mid 2012 MBP supports Catalina I'm sure there will be a hack to run macOS 11 Big Sur.
I was hoping for a solid "snow leopard" macOS to ride into the sunset. Catalina failed miserably, reverted to a previous macOS.
I was hoping for a solid "snow leopard" macOS to ride into the sunset. Catalina failed miserably, reverted to a previous macOS.

Could you please elaborate on the meaning of the above? What failed?
[automerge]1593216238[/automerge]
Inb4 patch that allows all those models to run Big Sur flawlessly as if it worked natively.

A google search for "nb4 patch" opened a video game

Reactions: JosephAW

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012

Could you please elaborate on the meaning of the above? What failed?
[automerge]1593216238[/automerge]

Some of us who have been around before Apple was even a thought in both Steve's minds have ridden the rollercoaster of hardware and software thru the years and can remember times when things were calm and stable for years as well as the rough and embarrassing output from Apple.
We are looking for another quiet time of stability and usability before the waters get rough again as they always do when change is needed and comes.

Reactions: Arvind Chitram

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
The OP wrote „Inb4“, meaning he‘s “in [this thread] before” a patch will appear, to allow installing Big Sur on officially unsupported hardware. By this wording he wants to imply that it won’t take long before that patch will become available.

Reactions: Arvind Chitram

KeithBN

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2017
The early 2013 MBPs were just a minor processor speed bump to the 2012 models.
Late 2013 then had Haswell, Iris graphics, 802.11ac WiFi, PCIe SSDs and probably more new stuff.

Thanks , that would certainly make sense! I hadn’t quite appreciated the level of the difference between the early 2013 and the last 2013 MacBook Pros.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

dhinuksha

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
Oh, my 2012 MBA served me well. It, still going strong. Was wondering to get a new Apple Mac or a iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.