Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ososX

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2015
Macs remain the computers with the shortest OS support. Windows, Linux and *BSD are unmatched. Quite different from what Apple is doing on mobile.

If progress were the reason, they would have made a consistent cut, based on discernible hardware constraints. Yet the late 2009 MacBook is still supported, while it has the same CPU, GPU and RAM as some older MacBook models or even MacBook Pro models of the same year. This appears to be an arbitrary policy choice, not based on hardware considerations.

That is not a reason. Do you think Apple should drop hardware just because it is time again to drop some?
[doublepost=1475412156][/doublepost]I don't understand why you are whinnying, its not that you have to stop using your 6 years old Mac? Besides, do you really think that you can take a 2010 (6 years old) PC an upgrade it to the latest Windoz version. In your dreams, those machines hardly survive M$ regular updates! I'll be surprised if you'll be able to install the latest Windoz on a 4 years old PC ... same thing for Android units, you can hardly upgrade these devices. Of course Linux and BSD unix devices will be supported forever ...

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I don't understand why you are whinnying, its not that you have to stop using your 6 years old Mac? Besides, do you really think that you can take a 2010 (6 years old) PC an upgrade it to the latest Windoz version. In your dreams, those machines hardly survive M$ regular updates! I'll be surprised if you'll be able to install the latest Windoz on a 4 years old PC ... same thing for Android units, you can hardly upgrade these devices. Of course Linux and BSD unix devices will be supported forever ...

Actually yeah, the 2008 Compaq PC purchased by my family in early 2008 for $300 can run Windows 10 quite well actually. On the other hand the $1800 Macbook purchased in Late 2008, only made it to 10.7 from 2011. Windows 10 can run on hardware back to 2004 I believe, Apple's software support is crap in comparison.

It is a very valid point to complain about Apple dropping support for machines when there is no good reason to do so. Apple lining their pockets is not a good justification for dropping machines. Apple can blab on about being 'environmentally friendly', but in reality, artificially shortening the lives of their hardware through poor software support is very bad for the environment and for customers.

ososX

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2015
Well, you are very lucky that your 2008 COMPAQ is running Windowz 10 (how were you able to find drivers for this machine, surely not on HP site?). My last PC desktop is from 2011 (64), it hardly runs Windowz 7 (it takes forever to boot, to surf and to run any application) and it is practically unusable (it is connected to a USB printer and I use its HD for backup). I asked the IT guy if I can upgrade it and he said that the basic requirements for 10 are fairly low (I think 1G processor and 2G ram), but it won't do much. So yes, you might be able to install Windowz 10, but to what end ? At the other hand, my 2005 MPB (motorola) is running 10.5.8 like the day I installed it, and with FF I can surf and actually use it.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Well, you are very lucky that your 2008 COMPAQ is running Windowz 10 (how were you able to find drivers for this machine, surely not on HP site?). My last PC desktop is from 2011 (64), it hardly runs Windowz 7 (it takes forever to boot, to surf and to run any application) and it is practically unusable (it is connected to a USB printer and I use its HD for backup). I asked the IT guy if I can upgrade it and he said that the basic requirements for 10 are fairly low (I think 1G processor and 2G ram), but it won't do much. So yes, you might be able to install Windowz 10, but to what end ? At the other hand, my 2005 MPB (motorola) is running 10.5.8 like the day I installed it, and with FF I can surf and actually use it.

It runs with the windows 7 drivers very well. I have a 2009 Acer which is the same. A 2011 machine should run Windows 7 fine, probably needs a fresh install.

I'm sorry but PPC Macs are near useless for anything modern - this is coming from a PPC lover. Leopard is so far outdated, nothing modern runs on it and the internet is a nightmare. Older machines with Windows 10 can run the latest security patches and the latest software. Apple's software support is horrendous. A PC which cost 6 times less than my 2008 Macbook is more capable and supported than it. Windows 10 on older machines is perfectly fine and even then, I'd rather have the choice to run slower software, than being left obsolete due to Apple's greed.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
It runs with the windows 7 drivers very well. I have a 2009 Acer which is the same. A 2011 machine should run Windows 7 fine, probably needs a fresh install.

I'm sorry but PPC Macs are near useless for anything modern - this is coming from a PPC lover. Leopard is so far outdated, nothing modern runs on it and the internet is a nightmare. Older machines with Windows 10 can run the latest security patches and the latest software. Apple's software support is horrendous. A PC which cost 6 times less than my 2008 Macbook is more capable and supported than it. Windows 10 on older machines is perfectly fine and even then, I'd rather have the choice to run slower software, than being left obsolete due to Apple's greed.

I have an old tricked out PowerMac G5 with a 3rd party ATI Fire GL Graphics Card in it. The thing screams speed and is faster at times than my Mac Pro at some things, but what good is it?
I said to a friend, "Hey, would you like a $3000 boat anchor?"
The Reality Distortion Field really had me thinking that PowerPC was the wave of the future and 3X faster. Well that didn't last long. I have never EVER believed a Comcast internet technician about anything, but I believed him when he said that the Apple OS was the reason the WIFI wouldn't work. After a week of frustration I managed to fix it manually myself without help from anyone except internet research from other people with the same problem.

Soon I'll ask that guy if he wants my 2009 Mac Pro for a boat anchor, which could easily run Sahara but is deemed, "Not Worthy" by Apple alone.
And to think, this machine was used on the animation of Toy Story 3 and is already discontinued in most support methods by Apple.

Thank You Steve Jobs.
I guess he's buried with his ill-gotten pot of gold in Ireland. :(

Reactions: oldmacs

bbzzz

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
this would be fine if Apple kept up with new CPUs, replacing an ancient 2008 MP with a now ancient nMP is not on.

ososX

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2015
Oldmacs: If you are willing to use a PC that requires 5 minutes to boot, 2 minutes to upload a web site, a couple of minutes to open a M$-word document and can hardly run a YouTube video, then have fun (this is the state of my PC running 7). I don't know what you need from an old laptop or home computer, but my 2005 PPC MBP with FF (not Safari) runs smoothly on the net (both wired and WiFi at home and at my office), I can use M$-word/Nisus and even compile LaTeX documents (the latter takes long time even on much newer PCs). Of course I can't compare it with my 2013 MPB, but it is way better than my PC with its Windoz 7.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I'll be surprised if you'll be able to install the latest Windoz on a 4 years old PC ... same thing for Android units, you can hardly upgrade these devices. Of course Linux and BSD unix devices will be supported forever ...

Posting from a five year old Thinkcentre that runs El Cap and Win10. Most of the technology improvements over the past five years have been in battery technology, SSDs and graphics. Nothing that would prevent even older machines from running Win10 should you choose to.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Oldmacs: If you are willing to use a PC that requires 5 minutes to boot, 2 minutes to upload a web site, a couple of minutes to open a M$-word document and can hardly run a YouTube video, then have fun (this is the state of my PC running 7). I don't know what you need from an old laptop or home computer, but my 2005 PPC MBP with FF (not Safari) runs smoothly on the net (both wired and WiFi at home and at my office), I can use M$-word/Nisus and even compile LaTeX documents (the latter takes long time even on much newer PCs). Of course I can't compare it with my 2013 MPB, but it is way better than my PC with its Windoz 7.
There is something wrong with your PC. My 2009 machine boots faster than most brand new mechanical HDD macs.

There is no way on earth that a ppc Mac from 2005 beats a healthy 2011 machine.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Well, most Macs that don't have HD in the integrated or dedicated graphic cards name and enough horse-power (CPU, RAM, etc.), will have problems with Youtube (not to speak of higher resolution) videos in many other different modern "web things". So, even for browsing the internet, they will become unusable. Sadly.

And comparing an mechanical (spinning) HDD with an SSD ... LOL.

idoccurt

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006

MacBook-macOS-Sierra.jpg
Apple today announced macOS Sierra, the latest version of its Mac software platform and renamed successor to OS X El Capitan. The first beta of the update was seeded to developers earlier today, while a public beta will be released in July.

macOS Sierra will be available as a free software update for compatible MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Pro models in the fall. Many 2007 to 2009 Macs that are compatible with OS X El Capitan will not be upgradeable to macOS Sierra, as the cutoff is now at least Late 2009.

The official list of Macs compatible with macOS Sierra:

Late 2009 or Later
MacBook
iMac2010 or Later
MacBook Air
MacBook Pro
Mac mini
Mac ProTo determine your Mac's model year, click on the Apple logo in the top-left menu bar and select About This Mac. The model year is listed in the main Overview tab.

Apple has shared the full video of its WWDC 2016 keynote, where it also introduced iOS 10 alongside new versions of watchOS and tvOS.

Article Link: List of Macs Compatible With macOS Sierra
I know unsupported macs there is a way to install..worthit?

Jake12263

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2016
Interesting that the late 2009 minis are supported but not the early 2009 ones. I can't imagine why considering they are identical except for 2.0/2.26ghz CPUs instead of 2.26/2.53.

I have a late 2009 mini and it's not supported.

Plentipeppa

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
Washington DC
My late 2011 MacBook Pro seems to be running much better with MacOS Sierra.
Battery life has improved tremendously, also MBP runs much cooler.
I have now semi retired my MacBook, I have turned it into a full email server, using macOS server and is doing quite well with lot of email domains hosted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.