List of what has changed in 1.1.4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pennine, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Pennine macrumors 6502

2. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

Besides the fact that it takes up more space, I haven't noticed anything.

3. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

google maps is more accurate and sporadic for me. It puts me closer and further each time I hit the button. Safari seems a bit faster. I've read reports that the cell phone reception is improved with the new baseband. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything. Jailbreaking still works. I'm not sure the purpose of this update unless we are getting the sdk on Friday.

4. Pennine thread starter macrumors 6502

Me too i've not noticed anything roll on friday

5. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

It looks like just some bug fixes. My iPhone also seems snappier, so there may have been some performance optimization.

6. Pennine thread starter macrumors 6502

Some people are saying the camera is working better
    I can't say i've noticed

7. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I am very happy with this update. It 100% fixes the out of order SMS bug that was introduced with 1.1.3! That alone was worth the large download....reading conversations out of order was driving me insane!

8. Surely Guest

Surely

You need to update your signature and add Hossa....

So far, I seem to be getting better reception at home. I still only get 2-3 bars here, but the calls seem less choppy (and more snappy :rolleyes:). I get perfect reception everywhere else but at home. Annoying.

9. amarcus macrumors 6502

Changes I've noticed

These are the changes I can confirm:
    • Increased cache in safari - Tabs flush out (i.e. go blank) much less frequently. Furthermore this also applies to the history (i.e. forward/back buttons)
    • Tabs can load in the background in safari - Open a tab while loading a page you can be browsing using a separate tab while it loads in. (Works on wifi and edge!)
    • Faster javascript performance in safari
    • Higher fps/less blur in camera - no noticeable difference in picture quality though
    • SMS message ordering bug is now fixed

I'm sure there’s lots of other small changes as well, get searching!

Adam

10. pavvento macrumors 6502

And add 'who will be gone in July'

I have noticed 1.1.4 to be more stable, I had a lot of resets and safari problems with .3 as well as dropped calls. I have noticed that the camera looks a lot better while being moved, or focussing on moving items.

11. cjandnw macrumors 6502

Locate me

After updating to 1.1.4; When I hit the "locate me" icon, the icon swirls like it's thinking then I get the message;
    "Your location could not be determined"

I am sitting in the exact same spot where it worked yesterday on 1.1.3.

EDIT: Now it works. It is no more accurate for this location than with 1.1.3

12. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

I put my 1.1.4 iPhone next to my mates 1.1.3 iPhone and used the camera at the same time..

The 1.1.4 picture is a little more yellowy. Plus pretty much nothing has actually changed with it. Oh! His 1.1.3 took a less blurred picture..

EDIT: The Locate Me feature will not have changed at all along with all the other things people have thought has been added but already been there before in other updates.

13. amarcus macrumors 6502

Just to clarify, most people (including myself) say that the quality of the pictures with 1.1.4 are no better or worse than 1.1.3 but the speed of the camera preview is improved (i.e. blurs less). Taking a small leap of faith here, this would be great for video recording, maybe its coming soon?

Adam

14. ExitRightHere macrumors newbie

ExitRightHere

Text Message Sounds

Text Message Sounds are now where you can change the sounds of incoming texts!!!

I didn't notice this with 1.1.3.

Thought you guys and gals would like to know.

EXR

15. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

thats been there

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I like that train of thought...

and hopefully we can witness that in our lifetime! :cool:

17. xmetal macrumors newbie

considering that this update is larger, with no apparent changes, AND there is a news conference on March 6th about the iPhone application SDK, I'd wager that almost all the changes in 1.1.4 were to add the frameworks needed for 3rd party apps.

18. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

This update was less then 5mb.

When an update comes down it does NOT add on to what is already on your iPhone. The program is removed from your iPhone and then reinstalled with the new version to include the patches and fixes. This is so common sense. If you took all 5 of the updates or even from 1.1 on then you would have lost 2gigs of your 8 gigs of space.

This is also the main reason for why people feel the "refreshed" spedier rate of their iPhones after an update. It has removed all of the BS that you have accumulated...cleans up your iPhone and it runs fresh until you pack full of stuff again. If you ever had to re-format a hard drive on your computer? It runs super when you get everything reloaded, yet nothing is new, you just removed all the garbage, dead registration, broken file links, dead extensions that were all buried in the OS that cause it to slow down.

19. mrobison macrumors member

I had only a couple of out of order texts on 1.1.3, but 1.1.4 did something last night that had never happened before. I was on the phone with someone for about ten minutes, and then got a text, and about 5 minutes later my iPhone just reset itself! It took about a minute and a half to get back up and running, and the text wasn't there and it didn't register the call either. It's been fine today, but it really bugged me last night.

20. Aries326 macrumors 6502

Thank you for confirming this! I thought I was the only one. People have been saying the picture looks better but I also thought my picture came out darker and more yellow.

21. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

It fixed Bluetooth problems with some navigations systems.

Now if only the next update will fix it so those of us using the first generation Alpine iPod solution can navigate back to the begginging of a song without having to go back two songs and forward one (broke in 1.1.2)

For example Im on track 8 - the song is almost over and I want to start the song over - I hit the back key on my alpine deck and it goes back to track 7, not the beginning of track 8.

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

This 1.1.4 update was for bug fixes as stated by Apple. One of the important bug fixes that this update addressed was in the bluetooth pairing with certain devices, one of these being the Garmin GPS. Before 1.1.3 came along, my, Garmin Nuvi 680 GPS would pair up with my iPhone so that I could use the GPS handsfree features to take and make calls. 1.1.3 broke this, 1.1.4 fixed this.

There are undoubtedly other bugs that this update has fixed as well but most some of us will have no idea of what they may be because we aren't experiencing them when others are, just as with the Garmin GPS problem many people were having.

I doubt seriously that this update had anything to do with the SDK in any way.

23. blacknblu macrumors newbie

blacknblu

24. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

You're not missing anything.
    Apple hasn't updated the support site with ANY info on 1.1.4 yet.

The bug fixes are pretty obvious though.
    Bluetooth pairing and functionality issues
    Safari crash issues
    Calls getting dropped
    And so on.

25. DuFFy macrumors regular

among things feeling much snappier is the magnifying glass. It comes up a lot easier and moves much smoother. I used to struggle to get it to move one letter over. Now its very responsive