List of words my keyboard won't spell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sh0ckerturb0, Sep 2, 2008.

1. sh0ckerturb0 macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

I've come up with a small list of words my iphone's keyboard won't spell and its extremely frustrating. by saying won't spell i mean at some point while in the process of spelling the word, a letter in that word cannot be used on the keyboard and if i glide my finger over the keyboard that letter cannot be selected. anybody else have problems with this? it happens on both my 3g and 2g iphone. i have started a thread or two about this in the past in iphone troubleshooting but nobody replied. i would put up a video but i don't have a video recorder

goose
    yokie
    foos
    mejor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDBoxecN0Y

2. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

goose
    Mejor
    yokie
    Foos

:confused: Typed on my iPhone. I've never had the problem you're describing.

3. sh0ckerturb0 thread starter macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

4. sh0ckerturb0 thread starter macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

ok i made a video using my moms digital camera, dont have the time or patience to adjust the settings and get a super clear picture right now but you can still make out what is going on... i'll post in a few min.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I can totally see where not being able to type "yokie" on your iPhone would persist as a problem. I would post a video if I were you.

6. sh0ckerturb0 thread starter macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

haha i knew some jackass would say something like that. this happens with alot more words then just those... those are just the ones i figured out, its like the keyboard looses touch sensation when certain combinations of letters are spelled

7. someguy7014 macrumors member

8. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

9. sh0ckerturb0 thread starter macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

haha cool, ya its taking a little long to upload...

10. sh0ckerturb0 thread starter macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

its not letting you either bassproguy? check out my video when its up and let me know if your phone is doing the same thing

11. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

it will let me type like mejt or meji but not mejor wtf? goose only lets me type good and if i go to goodE it pops up goose in spell check i didn't try the other ones though didn't think it was needed since those two don't even work

12. sh0ckerturb0 thread starter macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

ya thats the same thing mine is doing, certain letters wont be able to be selected

13. someguy7014 macrumors member

If i type 'mej' and try and make 'o' the next letter it wont let me. When i hit the 'o' it just types I or P instead. Is this the problem your having?

14. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

15. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

I see what you mean. I can select the right letter, but more often than not it chooses the wrong key instead, even when I press very carefully. It's weird.

16. sh0ckerturb0 thread starter macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

ya its starting to piss me off i call my girlfriend a silly goose all the time in text messages lol.

17. sh0ckerturb0 thread starter macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

i just found a new one.... try typing in the letters "toma" and then try to select the letter R or Y. it will not let you

18. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

please tell me your sig is a joke! just type goose it should auto correct

19. sh0ckerturb0 thread starter macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

20. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I think Apple has a problem with geese honestly.
    Why would it let you type duck but not goose?

Apple is RACIST!!!!

21. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Here's a cool little trick: you can easily add words (with capitalization!) to the iPhone's dictionary by adding them as contacts in address book. I added mine in a "Spelling" category, which I manually exclude from my own "All" category (a collection of all my categories) ... So I never see them in my phone book, but they're there ... ;)

Yay for PITA workarounds. If only we didn't have to resort to such BS methods to accomplish seemingly simple tasks (e.g., adding entries - including proper names - to the dictionary) ... :rolleyes:

22. sh0ckerturb0 thread starter macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

wow cool thanks! i'm going to do that right now, very helpfull

23. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Works fine, along with the orig. 4 words;
    goose
    Mejor
    yokie
    Foos

ahhh good `ole 1.1.4

24. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Am I the only one who sees this as a plus rather than a minus? The iPhone keyboard assumes what letter you're more than likely to type next, and expands the responsive area of the keyboard.

99.9% of the time, it works great. The times it doesn't, just send yourself a quick email with the word you wish to type, and the iPhone will add it to it's dictionary. Even easier than adding fake contacts.

Goose. Goose, goose. Mejor, tomar, tomay.

25. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

tomar
    Tomat
    Tomay

:confused: yet again, I have no problem typing any of it. I'm running 2.0.2, BTW, but I have no idea if it makes a difference.

And yes, I like the auto-correct too, but I don't think that's what they're talking about.