List your Worst games of the year!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Dec 15, 2008.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your every Christmas wish is my command!!!

Except that.... I'm not doing that again. I was sore for hours, and the rash still hasn't fully cleared up...

So my worst games that I have played this year... in no particular order

Gears of War 2
    Ninja Gaiden 2
    Mercenaries 2
    Valkyrie Chronicles
    Left 4 Dead
    StarWars : Force Unleashed
    WiiMusic
    Midnight Club Racing
    Need For Speed : Undercover
    Fracture
    Lost
    Enemy Territory : Quake Wars
    Conflict : Denied Ops
    No More Heroes
    The Incredible Hulk
    Ace Combat 6
    The Bourne Conspiracy
    Army Of Two

edit: burnout paradise was poop too :)

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Valkyria?! GEARS?! Left 4 Dead?

*turns in disgust* MRU, you don't like fun. :D:p

Fable II for me. Peter Molyneux, biggest shame in the gaming industry.

Spore. Got bored before I got anywhere NEAR the space age (which still looks lame)

Thats about it really. I don't buy crappy games :p

3. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I thought this when I read 2nyRiggz's post quoted above in it's original thread, and I'm thinking it even more now -

Why the hate for Gears 2? I thought it was really fun! Sure, it wasn't changed much from the original, but I always say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Spore is also my choice for worst game I played this year. I lost interest after the second stage.

Ditto. I only buy games that are loved by reviewers and my friends.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Pain - apart from an initial chuckle or three.
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl - the fun wore out quickly.
    Burnout Paradise - open world boredom, might as well have been a NFS title.

I wisely stayed far away from the RPG and FPS genres, so this list is shorter than it might otherwise have been.

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Jumper on the Wii.

That's about it really, I purchase games carefully but it was BOGOF at Game and I figured I might as well give it a shot seeing as it was free...I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

This is a personal choice thing, and what rocks one person doesn't mean it will rock everyone right.

All those games just did absolutely nothing for me, and playing them just wasn't enjoyable for me.

I didn't like Gears either though...... Again I fully accept that it's well produced and of good quality, just that it doesn't do it for me and hence the reason it made it into my worst games list.

Remember there's no right and wrong. It's your personal choice.

7. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Honestly, I can only go by the demos, cause I only buy games that I know I'm gonna like. But judging by the demos, the worst were:

- Fatal Inertia EX
    - Siren: Blood Curse
    - Wall-E
    - Haze
    - Mercs 2

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Burnout Paradise, easily the biggest let down, I loved Revenge, but Paradise was a hideous step backwards, I don't know if they were trying to be all revolutionary, but it was so backwards I couldn't be bothered, it got too serious...

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah they decided to take the FUN out of the game, and trawling back to restart a race was hideous.

I hope they go back to the roots and bring back proper race tracks (so that your not staring at a tiny map, you can actually enjoy the race) around a city and inject the game with a large overbite of FUN once more.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Gears of War 2 by far. My drunken slovenly brother is a huge fan of the "series" so far so I thought I'd give it a proper go.
    No story, such epicly basic gameplay, the utmost horrific dialogue I've ever heard outside of Hollywood. I don't know what people see in it. No depth, just cheap tat with texture loading problems (even when playing from the HDD). Maybe that's why people like it though, sorta like the Scary Movie films.

And runner up goes to GTA IV. That's not because it's a bad game as such, just it was hyped as being amazing and clearly wasn't as good as the earlier games in the series. I still prefer to run around GTA SA than any other.

Throw in some Unreal Tournament 3. Just another disappointing sequel that traded in fun for psuedo-realism, brown graphics and motion blur.

Seriously chaps, in 2009 please try to keep fun in games. Realism doesn't make a game good. Thx.

11. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I agree with all the comments on Burnout. However, I still found it pretty fun and far from being one of the worst games this year. :) If you force yourself to forget about the format of the older games, and see it as an individual piece of gaming, it's still pretty good for what it is.

12. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Ahh totally forgot to mention this one, but I completely agree with you.

13. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I'm going with ET: Quake Wars. My honorable mention is Star Wars The Force Unleashed. There just wasn't enough to this game, the story seemed shallow, the character was utterly boring, aiming was off, yada yada yada...

Why can't Lucas Arts make KOTOR 3 an RPG, not a MMORPG? That's all I really wanted for the last few years...

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wasn't Quake Wars released last year? I'm sure I recall the demo being out around the time of the TF2 beta.

15. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Spore sucked so much, I didn't even finish it, biggest disappointment of the year and the single reason I don't respect Will Wright anymore.

I'll post some more later but I was also heavily disappointed by Far Cry 2.

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I forgot to add mine. Fable II. I already whined in another thread. How that won X-Play's GotY is BEYOND me. It beat Fallout 3 BUT lost to Fallout 3 for Best RPG? Say wha?

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

X play caters to MS (im sure there is a money exchange somewhere), if you haven't figured that out by now then you need to see someone for professional help :p

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Preparation H works wonders :)

Can I add to my list since this is the official?

Unreal Tournament 3...A pile of disappointment
    Sonic Unleashed...WTF seriously?
    Conan Game
    Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts......just pure garbage
    Tomb Raider Underworld...The controls just destroy this game for me.
    HAZE.....facepalm...thats all I could do.
    Too Human....WTF is this sh**?
    Lost Odyssey....Almost got turned off of RPGs because of this game.
    Army of Two.....Bulls***...Ed knows what I'm talking about.

I really didn't like the first Gears and part two just fell in line with its brethren.

Note: GTAIV was really bad as well.

Bless

19. leishan macrumors 6502

20. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

hai guys heres a list of top selling games i say r the worst of the year. give me some attention pls. thanks.

21. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Based on the games Ive played probably Far Cry 2, the world was boring and the missions were more repetitive than Assassins Creed, always being attacked by every person you saw just got annoying.
    Fable is a multi genre game, it might not have better RPG elements than Fallout 3 so they gave it to Fallout 3. Now what is stupid is when games at the Spike awards win GOTY but dont win best game for their respective console, that makes no damn sense.

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Looks like someone else is looking for it too....too bad no one gives a s** about it to give it to you.

Bless

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

They're either playing it with a gamepad or they have no friends. :p

-----

New RULE, only games that you've completed can be listed. :D

25. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

L4D is great. Everyone in my apartment picked up a copy right after finals. VS is where the game is at.