listing the HD files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Keytachi, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Keytachi macrumors regular

is there an app (or a terminal command) that will make a .txt list of all my files/folders/etc.? i need to defrag my dics, but i dont want to loose anything, and i cant backup my HD cause i cant afford an external HD. so anyone knows anything? that way i can no what i need to put back in the computer

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Do a "man" on "ls". There are many options for producing the list. Once you get the format you like, you can send the output to a .txt file.

example: "ls -l > output.txt"

BUT - there are thousands of files in even a basic OS-X installation. This doesn't seem like the way to go. I suppose you can do a search on the output file for something specific, but it wouldn't be practical to do any kind of manual comparison.

As for defraging an OS-X disk:

Even with a trusted defrag app (like iDefrag), I still wouldn't do it without an image backup.

OS-X has automatic de-fragmenting of files, so the use of a 3rd party de-fragmenting app is rarely really needed, unless your disk is almost full and you create/modify large files (like video). See this Apple article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668

3. Keytachi thread starter macrumors regular

i want to install bootcamp, and i get an error where the hard drive cant be partitioned, and it asks me to format the disk, but as i said, i dont have means to backup my HD. so i was told (on this forums) to defragment the disc. however im afraid to lose files, and since i dont remember half the things i install/uninstall i thought i could make a list. my main concern isnt the applications, i can just take some screenshots to know what i had install, but the plugins, and extensions, and all the things i put in, that arent so easily recognized. is it safe to defragment using iDefrag?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Defragging might help the install, as it needs contiguous space on the HD for the new partition.

Most of the "extras" would be in your Library folder, but some things are installed in the /Library and /System/Library folders.

I haven't had any problems with iDefrag, but I personally wouldn't do a defrag on my only drive without an image backup.

5. Keytachi thread starter macrumors regular

:S now im not sure if ill defrag :( but there is no way i can backup everything! its 70GB of stuff scatered around the HD... dunno if i should take a chance... or wait untill i have an external HD...