Literally 10 minutes after I get a new air, the SB processor is announced!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lexusracin, Apr 7, 2011.

  1. lexusracin macrumors newbie

    Oct 15, 2010
    Oh well. I dont think it'll be that big of a difference everyone's saying. If its only a 15-20% increase in performance then I'll be more than happy with a slower processor but better graphics. :D
  2. dxr808s macrumors member

    Mar 10, 2011
    Wasn't aware that anything was "announced". All they said is that there is a possibility that they will be coming soon.

    Who knows, Apple could skip SB for the Air line altogether.

    At any rate, enjoy your new Air! :)
  3. ZipZap macrumors 603

    Dec 14, 2007
    No Announcement other that they have a version of the chip that could be used in the MBA.

    Take it back and wait if you want the next gen...though you'll be waiting untill October as I doubt the new chips will be engineered into the MBA faster than that timeframe.
  4. Lord Appleseed, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

    Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

    Lord Appleseed

    Nov 7, 2010
    Apple Manor
    We more or less know about possible SB MBAs since months.
  5. alecgold macrumors 65816


    Oct 11, 2007
    Why do you need the SB, do you crunch a lot of numbers/CPU intensive tasks?
    I for one am happy that I ordered the C2D version with 320M GPU. As it looks now the ULV-version will be even slower and the LV version of SB is AFAIK not that much faster than the C2D.
    And the C2D is proven, all flaws worked out, a good solid performer where the (U)LV-version of SB can have many problems yet.
  6. mark28 macrumors 68000

    Jan 29, 2010
    There is already a ultraportable laptop of Samsung which some say is a MBA killer. It has a Sandy Bridge CPU. It manages to beat core i5 1.86 ghz laptops, so it's certainly faster than a C2D 1.86 cpu :p

    It even beats some core i3 2.4 ghz laptops in some benchmarks despite the Sandy Bridge CPU being only clocked at 1.4 ghz.
  7. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    Sandy Bridge CPUs were announced already in January.
  8. mazstar1980 macrumors member

    Feb 4, 2010
    I was in the same position as you although I ordered a few days ago - I don't care.

    I'm using my MBA for word processing, web browsing and university research. It wouldn't matter if I had a CPU 10x more powerful, I doubt I would use it.

    The only thing concerning me is whether it will play well with Lion but having 4GB RAM and a SSD I don't see the current C2D being handicapped.

    I say just enjoy your MBA now - I also don't think it won't be till Sept/Oct till the next revision is released.
  9. MacFever macrumors regular


    Feb 1, 2007

    What is the HEAT situation like on the Samsung Series 9 with those new chips??

    That would be a good tell tale sign of what to expect on the AIR's cooling.
  10. stockscalper macrumors 6502a


    Aug 1, 2003
    Area 51
    Take a look at the specs, it's 1.4 GHZ with Intel graphics. You should be quite happy with what you've purchased.
  11. vincenz macrumors 601


    Oct 20, 2008
    Where are you seeing 15-20% performance?
  12. christophermdia macrumors 6502a


    Sep 28, 2008
    1.4 with a step to 2.3...I say SB will be a great chip, I for one am looking forward to a new version moreso because I want an Air with a thunderbolt port. I however am quite happy with what ive got right now in my 13" I dont feel limited by the processor one bit....
  13. Sodner macrumors 68020


    Jan 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    For most Apple users this not a MBA killer simply because it does not run OS X.
  14. zinka macrumors regular

    Nov 27, 2009
    This is not news. Return yours if you want to wait. Same situation as last week.
  15. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    And of course you could also return the MBA and wait for Ivy Bridge.
    Very few people would know the difference between the C2D and SB unless they are doing something cpu intensive.
  16. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

    Lord Appleseed

    Nov 7, 2010
    Apple Manor
    I think you quoted the wrong person...or am i not quite getting something here?
  17. lexusracin thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 15, 2010
    I came from a faster processor so it would be more satisfying if the processor was an "upgrade". Either way I'm sure the current Air will be good for my needs.

    The 15-20% increase was just a guess. I really don't think they'll make it more powerful than that otherwise it will be in competition with the 13" pro.
  18. mac jones macrumors 68040

    Apr 6, 2006
    I don't get it. This Air is fast enough for 'Air' stuff. If you want power get a Pro.

    I could understand when the Air was all messed up with the last version, but now it just sounds odd.

    Don' have any sympathy. (Which is a good thing as they really fixed the Air, didn't they :) )

    An old Air veteran :D
  19. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020


    Jun 17, 2009
    Chicago, IL area
    You could return it and wait but I think you will enjoy your new MBA!
  20. jav6454 macrumors P6


    Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
  21. bcaslis macrumors 68020

    Mar 11, 2008
    I just got a new 13" on Sunday. I'm not worrying about it yet since there is no new MBA announced yet and this one works great! :D

    If some wild new MBA gets announced and it's something I really want I'll just sell this one and get the new one.
  22. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

    Apr 18, 2008
    Just because the chips were announced does not mean that the Macbook Air is going to be sold with the chips anytime soon.

    Your post might mean something if Apple had released Macbook Air laptops literally 10 minutes after you bought the version with the C2D chip. But as Apple hasn't released a SB processor Macbook Air yet, it shouldn't really be a big deal.
  23. BounouGod macrumors newbie

    Nov 5, 2010
    Think 100%+ performance bump assuming the ULV processors, and much more if they put LV CPU's in the 13" model which is possible when you consider how much power then save from not having to use the 320M.

    The trade off are the graphics, they are slightly slower in the CPU's MBP's use and clocked even slower in LV and ULV processors.

    Thing huge CPU upgrade and small to significant graphics downgrade, probably less heat and longer battery life too.

    My 2011 MBA refresh wish list is the following:

    - i7-2649M @ 2.3Ghz
    - Back lit Keyboard
    - Thunderbolt I/O
    - Facetime HD

    Same price with those features is a day one order for me. Think the last two are extremely probable upgrades, the real question is do we get LV CPU's in the high end 13 and do we get back lit keyboards.
  24. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 24, 2008
    Thats a good config. Hopefully we will see external GPU's soon enough.
  25. Scottsdale macrumors 601


    Sep 19, 2008
    I don't get the point of this thread... there is zero credible evidence that a new MBA of any sort anytime soon. Someone was way out of line to make a thread on the front page exclaiming that there are now SB CPUs, as they have been available for some time. In addition, that poster didn't really know anything about the 13" MBA, as the assumptions were ridiculously absurd and unlikely given the current history of the MBA.

    I would be shocked to see an MBA before October. I would be completely disappointed and amazed if Apple used that ULV CPU listed that was released a few days ago in a 13" MBA. I would even be surprised if Apple updated the MBA with Sandy Bridge and its IGP as the sole graphics solution... as I feel the Ivy Bridge is at least closer match to Nvidia's current solution.

    I wouldn't think anything of the article about the CPU until there are countless other sources identifying that particular chip, or any SB chip at all making their way into an MBA anytime soon. Apple likes to update once per year at best. Apple was happy with the prior generation MBA for two full years. There is every reason to believe, especially with Apple's track record of caring about graphics and users' complete experience, that Apple will wait for a real solution rather than throw the MBA into a tailspin with the problematic SB IGP.

    I hope Apple cares more... there was a rumor right before the MBA update last year that Apple is working on ULV CPUs overclocked with Intel IGP disabled, and using a discrete LV GPU still coming in under the current TDP. There were also rumors of Apple meeting with AMD in apparent consideration of using AMD CPU/GPU combos in its low end Mac computers that then used Nvidia 320m/9400m chipsets. Both solutions make more sense... the first even allows Thunderbolt. In addition, I don't know why Apple would want to do business with Intel given its extreme abuse of the market, consumers, and Nvidia's own agreements in place with Intel.

    I would be happier with a current MBA than an "upgraded" MBA with low grade Intel IGP destroying the overall computer's capabilities. The whole situation just sucks, and I expect Apple to do the smart thing.

Share This Page