Little hole in the aluminium body - MacBook Pro 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Markeuse94, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Markeuse94 macrumors newbie

Markeuse94

I noticed that my new MacBook Pro 13" (late 2016), which has something more than two weeks, has this strange tiny hole (I actually don't really know how to describe it) in its aluminium body, right between two keys (E and R). I tried to figure out if this was there from the moment in which I bought the computer or it was caused by something in particular, even if I really couldn't explain how.

Does someone have an explanation for this? Or have the same issue?
    I surely will survive, it's nothing, but I'd like to know how it ended up there!
    20170110_195932.jpg

2. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

It's impossible to say what caused it but it's just a tiny dent/nick.

If it really bothers you, you could try your luck with Apple for a return but I don't see how you can prove it's not wear and tear through your use.

Good luck.

3. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

Maybe it was there out of the box, but it is very small... I think that it's a manufacturing defect.

4. Markeuse94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Markeuse94

That's what I thought, indeed. Anyway, it definitely doesn't bother me at all; but, just to know, I'll probably try my luck at the Apple Store! :)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2017 ---
    We can only guess, so I'll probably ask to the Genius Bar when I'll have a bit of time :)

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Something was likely dropped on it, my 2015 13" rMBP has an almost similar indentation, I know as I was the one who did it :p

Q-6

6. Markeuse94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Markeuse94

That's the point: it seems something was dropped on the Mac, but this didn't happen (with this MacBook, at least) :D That is why I can't explain it!

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Cant remember exactly what the object was, I do remember it was something with a sharp tip like a small screwdriver. The aluminium b body is relatively soft so can be damaged easily in a fall or by impact damage by harder material such as a Philips screwdriver :rolleyes:

Anyway better than my old 2011 15" as that has a full blown dent in the KB deck :p "worse things happen at sea" :)

Q-6

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

That mark is so small I can't believe anyone would actually return the computer for it.

Look at how many times the OP had to enlarge the image (from actual size) to even see it… ;)

9. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

That's not the point... At the prices Apple is charging for these machines I'd expect them to be flawless in every regard...

OP if it were me, I'd exchange it... :apple:

Maybe you missed this part of the OP's post though?

10. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Looks like it was struck with something sharp. Aluminium is a relatively soft metal, so you must be careful.

11. Markeuse94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Markeuse94

Dear Fishrrman, that's the original image (the pic was taken with a Samsung Galaxy S5, if we want to be precise).

12. jerryk macrumors 68030

I think the point is can you really see this when you are using the machine? It is pretty small.