Little "notch" on Brand new MacBook Pro "15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeov, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Zeov, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Hey..

So heres the Deal, i got my brand new high end MacBook Pro "15 the 8th of december.

So right now, about an hour ago i'm sitting with some friends, drinking some beer and playing some games and my friend (accidentally!) hits the side of my Pro with the beer bottle, giving it a really really small notch or scratch or whatever you wanna call it.. you can barely see it but you can feel it.

i know i'm probably acting like a bitch.. but i hate knowing that theres this little scratch, even though its barely visible.

So my question is, is there anything i can do? like pay for Apple to fix it, or something? i don't have Apple care but isn't there like 1 month Apple care for every new mac?

Hope you guys can help

Edit: i'm from Denmark if that plays any role.

/Mike

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can pay to have whatever part of the case replaced. Applecare does not cover accidental damage.

3. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

You can pay, but the entire bottom case will need to be replaced..It will run you a few hundred dollars minimum..Also, every mac comes with 1 year of applecare.

4. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

If it bothers you this much...you can sell the entire machine at a small loss and buy a new one.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

this is a good suggestion for the OP if it does bother him that much

you could end up paying more to fix it than you would lose on selling it on a craigslist or something

6. bill-p macrumors 65832

I think you have 2 options: pay Apple roughly $500 to fix it, or live with it.

Most people just choose to live with it.

7. warvanov macrumors 6502a

8. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Your words.

It's a computer, not a show piece.

9. Zeov thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Thats exactly where you're wrong.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

No he's not. It's a tool. That's all it is.

11. rault18 macrumors member

rault18

If you dont want to lose any money live with it...give it about 10 days and you ll forget its even there

12. jstahmann macrumors newbie

Turn it around so your friend hits the other side with a beer bottle next time, then you'll have matching notches on both sides.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Friends + beer + brand new MBP = bad idea.

This just reminds me, I used my MBP for some Karaoke parties (ultrastar deluxe!). Was in the middle of the room, about 20 drunk people with drinks in their hands standing around it, and a pair of playstation microphones plugged in.

Quite surprising that it never got damaged.

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Got a picture of the damage?

To some extent you have to accept that little things are going to happen, and they're what make your MacBook Pro yours.

If it's not possible to do that in this case then, as has been suggested, you could probably look at selling and buying a new one.

15. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

You have to expect usual wear and tear on anything you use. To me, wear and tear is a sign that you're actually making use of your MacBook like it was intended for - moving it from location to location etc, instead of having it plucked on a desk in a room somewhere for its entirety.

16. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, first and foremost it's a computer. Hate to say it but if you bought it for the show, then that's part of the problem right there.

17. srshaw macrumors 6502

Thats what I hate about buying a new car. Your bound to get scratches on it and it is annoying.

Last year I bought a new Harley Davidson and the girlfriend asked to sit on it. She put her hands on the petrol tank and scratched it with a ring. That was annoying but I guess it is inevitable that it will pick up knocks.

I've always tried to keep my apple kit in reasonable condition, but they always pick up knocks. I have a string of perfect looking iPod that no longer work. I might have just not bothered looking after them.

18. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

It has character now, it is unique - embrace it!

19. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

As others have pointed out, it IS a computer, and thus a tool. If you bought it expecting to use it as a show piece, then you were simply setting yourself up for disaster. Nothing is indestructible, and something was bound to happen to it eventually. Something HAS happened to it. Be grateful your screen lid doesn't have a huge dent on the back of it, like mine.

But I don't care, I bought the computer to use it (and hopefully make money with what I do), not to show it off to my friends as if having a Mac somehow makes me a better person or raises my status in life.

20. Ant.honey macrumors regular

I bet your mbp has received 2 more imperfections since you started this thread. If it hasn't, give it a week and get over it. Otherwise, get it fixed and put it back in the box or maybe a glass display case. Then, you can go get some therapy.

21. randomrazr macrumors 65816

22. petzl macrumors newbie

So many flippant trolls here. You bang up a new MBP, are unhappy about this situation, but are instructed,
    as if by Sergeant Barnes in "Platoon," to take the pain. I'd expect this from a PC crowd, which does deal with
    only tools, albeit, frequently malfunctioning tools.

23. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

"Bang up"?! How does a dent so small you can't even see it, but only feel it, count as being banged up? At any rate, no one here isn't sympathizing with the pain of having an expensive piece of equipment damaged, but there's no way Apple is going to do anything about it.

If you don't like the advice being given, what's yours? What exactly should OP do about it?

24. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

First if you are so nipsy about getting a little dent in you MBP, don't do ANYTHING near it. NO beer, NO food, NO friends and so on.

Like others have said, it gives its a personality. If some 1 came and gave me the offer to get a new MBP (no dents and perfect condition) with same spec as the one i have, i would chose the 1 i have. Its nice to know you mac dents, give it the personal feel.

BUT if you want it mint condition and keep it dent free what about get a hard case for it? then you don't have to worry about it so much. Hers a link.http://www.mymacbookcase.com/8-macbook-case-15

And if its not a solution for you, and you are going to lose it every time you mac gets a little dent. Then you got a problem.

25. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Then frame it and hang it on the wall. :rolleyes: