little off topic....Safari on windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by samwise666, Apr 14, 2008.

1. samwise666 macrumors newbie

Sorry for being a bit off topic but its kind of mac on windows not windows on mac so it works....right? lol

Okay, so i have windows xp home and all that, and every now and again i get the apple update doo dah for safari.......is it any good, i.e. better then firefox, i find sometimes firefox is very hungry on ram, is safari quicker.

generally who uses it on windows and is it any good?

cheers.

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I use it on windows when I'm rarely using Windows. The latest version is definitely much nicer than the previous one on windows. I find it quicker than firefox, and some nice features that firefox doesn't have. The one things that just doesn't really work is the interface. The silver/gray interface with aqua just looks pretty bad with the windows look, IMO.

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

...sucks....

Sorry, but it has to be said. Firefox 3 is amazing, and Safari acts nothing on Windows like it does on a Mac. Trust me, I don't want this to be the case either. On the flip side of course, I love Safari more than Firefox on the Mac.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

You can try it out for yourself.:)

safari on windows is a memory hog, due no small part to its insisting of breaking windows native GUI and put a bunch of extra library in there for itself.

safari on windows is not secure, it does not offer any anti-phishing tool, at the same time, several security holes were discovered that have not yet been patched?

safari on windows is faster indeed, in rendering speed than firefox 2, but slower than firefox 3beta5.

safari on windows as an app is less responsive, again, due in large part because it does not utilize many windows native APIs.

Safari on windows has no functionality plugins, it has no single window mode, each link will open a new window, unless you press ctrl when click the link.

Safari on windows has no functionality plugins, such as adblock, etc

I hope next time apple makes a windows version app, they try to respect windows user a little bit more. And face the reality in the windows world.

5. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

So far, Windows is the only thing that can make me hate Safari. It's sluggish, stutters, and just generally sucks. Go with Firefox. :)

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

if you don't care about windows and you don't care about it clashing with the rest of the OS I think Safari is fine.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I highly doubt the user interface has much to do with how much memory Safari uses, if anything at all.

Also, the plural of library is "libraries," not library.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

you would be surprised at how evil is about those sort of things, but I have to go now. Off to the lie-berry.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I use Safari on my HP and it works fine. It's slow at start up as my PC is full in its HDD, but my friend's runs smoothly as soon as he opens it.

Better security than Firefoz and IE, IMO that is, since Safari has a powerful pop-up blocker and great security. Sure there are holes (like in all programs), but so far the holes for what really matter to me (online banking, online purchasing) are very well patched.

Try it out, it can easily be uninstalled if you don't like it.

10. serega macrumors regular

I use Safari on my Toshiba laptop, have not notice any problems yet. I just want to feel like it just a little bit of Mac.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i don't think your statement shows understanding of the concept of "security".

PS. I don't think safari's pop-up blocker can compare to firefox's neither..;)

12. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Windows needs Firefox for a nice browsing experience. End of story. 'Nuff said.

13. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Don't like the Windows + Safari experience. I use Firefox for most things but certain corporate sites only really work with IE.

Not really a massive fan of Safari + Mac but it's much better than the Windows version. Firefox 3 is my prefered choice here.