Little worried now, Gruber says the iPhone 6+ is too big

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psymac, Sep 17, 2014.

1. psymac macrumors 6502

Ugh, I respect his opinion, I've ordered two iPhone 6+, so they may get returned if he is right.

"A few days into testing the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, I accidentally left my personal iPhone 5S on a desk next to the iPhone 6 Plus. While my back was turned, the Plus tried to eat my 5S. It’s a monster."

http://daringfireball.net

2. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

I will take your 6 Plus phones if you don't want them :D

3. sholzer macrumors regular

1. get phone
    2. u lik?
    3. yes - keep, no - return
    4. kthnxbai

4. Jnyce macrumors regular

How about try the phone for yourself.....

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

With dozens of reviews coming in and about 50% saying it's too big and 50% saying they love it....why bother listening to any of them? It's clearly a personal preference and no amount of "respect" should make you decide if the phone is a good fit for you or not until you hold it in your hand and use it.

Unless you're like me and already know full well you prefer your portable devices to be small. :D

6. hasanahmad Suspended

Gruber also says that if iPhone 6 was the only phone released he would have stayed with 5S because the 5S screen size is better than the 4.7 iPhone. he is biased against anything more than 4 inches because he shouted last time that this is the best screen size and anything more is wrong. He is clearly wrong and can't come to accept it so he has to say the 4.7 is good begrudgingly but can **** on the 6 Plus for being too big.

and for the love of God grow up. make your own decisions

7. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

This. Until you've given it 7-10 days of personal usage you'll never be certain how it will fit into your routine. Of course it will seem huge at first but it's the experience after trying it out that matters.

:apple:

8. whalen macrumors member

I recommend reading the full review for better context.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Where did this magical 7-10 days come from? I'll be able to tell if the phone is feasible within the first day, especially with how much I will be using it more than normal (due to it being a new phone and all).

Unless you have a wide array of different things you do (with your phone) every day throughout the week, I don't see why it should take nearly this long.

10. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

you have to remember.....these people have opinions just like you and me. for a true phone ONLY...yes it's probably too big. BUT....in today's age, a lot of us don't really call it a phone. Sure it makes calls etc. but i only make calls a couple times a week if that. It does so much more. A lot of these reviews base it more on the phone aspect. When I think it's so much more than that.

11. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Why has none raised a concern that the 6 Plus is a cannibal. I mean, it's right there in black and white.... must be true.

:rolleyes:

12. iZollo macrumors regular

iZollo

Her is a good one with real world use.
    http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/17/life-is-tough/

13. MacDarcy, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014

MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Gruber plummeted to his death from the Nakatomi plaza in the first Die Hard. I wouldn't put much into anything he says about the iphone 6.

14. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Gruber is free to send it to me. No worries at all.

15. urkel macrumors 68030

Everyone on the Android side says that it takes a little bit to get used to a large screen phone. So why is it that on the Apple side then everyone is expecting the adjustment to happen overnight?

16. psymac thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure, that was my thinking when choosing the 6+, I use it for so much more than calling or texting as just a phone.

17. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Question - When Apple ships phone, it takes several days to arrive. AT&T took away upgrade last Friday a full week before arrival.

If you ship the phone back to Apple, it will take a few days to get to them.

*IF* you return the phone, how long will AT&T still reinstate your upgrade?

IE, if it takes 2 days to get to you, you try it 12 days then return it, and then it takes 2-3 days for Apple to get the phone back and process the return. Are you going to get your upgrade back then, or will AT&T say it has been too long?

18. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

FWIW, there are more people considering going to the 6 from the 6+ than the other way around. The 6+ may have sounded good at first, but questions re: size remain that are not trumped by some massive increase in specs. Whereas the 6 is more of a no-brainer.

I'm in the camp where if I could get a 6 on launch day I'd cancel my 6+ pre order. Since I dont have that option, I plan on using my 6+, checking out a co-worker's 6 and making a decision within the first few days.

19. whalen macrumors member

Gruber hits the nail on the head for me as far as why I want to try the 6 Plus.

http://daringfireball.net/2014/09/the_iphones_6

20. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Gruber is crazy. Who the hell is "pining" for the 3.5" screen of the original iphone? Seriously.

21. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Have you people never held a bigger device before? It isn't going to be all that different. I don't understand the angst.

22. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I always thought phones over 5" would be too big - but then I starting using a Note 3 as my work phone for the past year and I find it completely fine to use. I opted for the 6 Plus, with no hesitation.

23. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

He also mentioned the graphical stuttering on the 6 Plus that seems to have been mentioned by several with hands-on experience so far.

24. hasanahmad Suspended

that is what i meant. He is only defending his view that 3.5 is great, 4 is perfect, 4.7 is grumble grumble acceptable and 5.5 is a monster

25. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I tend to agree with him.

I personally wish they'd gone with a new 4" and then a 5" Plus model