Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoyoteRidge

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Everyone on the Android side says that it takes a little bit to get used to a large screen phone. So why is it that on the Apple side then everyone is expecting the adjustment to happen overnight?

The iPhone 6 Plus does not have an out of proportion display. What is out of proportion is the hardware surrounding the display. Both the Galaxy Note 3 and 4 have larger 5.7 inch displays, yet the overall footprint of either device is significantly smaller than that of Bigfoot (iPhone 6 Plus). Why?

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
The iPhone 6 Plus does not have an out of proportion display. What is out of proportion is the hardware surrounding the display. Both the Galaxy Note 3 and 4 have larger 5.7 inch displays, yet the overall footprint of either device is significantly smaller than that of Bigfoot (iPhone 6 Plus). Why?

Top and bottom bezels. Physical home button with touch ID is gonna make the device taller by a good margin if they keep the proportions the same. Could possibly shrink the top bezel but the asymmetry could put some people off.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
FWIW, there are more people considering going to the 6 from the 6+ than the other way around. The 6+ may have sounded good at first, but questions re: size remain that are not trumped by some massive increase in specs. Whereas the 6 is more of a no-brainer.

I'm in the camp where if I could get a 6 on launch day I'd cancel my 6+ pre order. Since I dont have that option, I plan on using my 6+, checking out a co-worker's 6 and making a decision within the first few days.

Same here. The size always concerned me. I have a iPhone 6 coming also which is my wifes. I'll try that out over the next 2 weeks. For a device that is "suppose" to be better, I shouldn't have any doubts over the next 2 weeks. I'm starting to think the whole bigger screen is getting blown over. If there were more software features that took advantage of the bigger screen, then it would easily separate it. So right now, it's a wait and see approach.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Gruber also says that if iPhone 6 was the only phone released he would have stayed with 5S because the 5S screen size is better than the 4.7 iPhone. he is biased against anything more than 4 inches because he shouted last time that this is the best screen size and anything more is wrong. He is clearly wrong and can't come to accept it so he has to say the 4.7 is good begrudgingly but can **** on the 6 Plus for being too big.

if he was to stick with the 5s if the 6 was the only new iphone this year, then what about there being an even bigger iphone would make him ditch the 5s? it isn't what he said. he said he'd have stuck with the 5s if the 6 plus were the only new iphone to be released this year.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Gruber is crazy. Who the hell is "pining" for the 3.5" screen of the original iphone? Seriously.

I would love that screen size to come back personally. With the rumors of the iPhone going to the bigger screen size I got an Xperia Z1 Compact which is 4.3" since it was the smallest actually good android I could find. It's at the absolute largest size I could use with one hand, and it's often more comfortable to use with two hands. So I would love there to be a 3.5" option out there again.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Ugh, I respect his opinion, I've ordered two iPhone 6+, so they may get returned if he is right.

"A few days into testing the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, I accidentally left my personal iPhone 5S on a desk next to the iPhone 6 Plus. While my back was turned, the Plus tried to eat my 5S. It’s a monster."

http://daringfireball.net

Remember, a ginormous screen was exactly what a lot of very loud critics on here and other places wanted, saying that Apple needed to "step up their game." And were guffawing at the people who said the 5S is a good size when the Plus was announced.

Be careful what you wish for.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I would love that screen size to come back personally. With the rumors of the iPhone going to the bigger screen size I got an Xperia Z1 Compact which is 4.3" since it was the smallest actually good android I could find. It's at the absolute largest size I could use with one hand, and it's often more comfortable to use with two hands. So I would love there to be a 3.5" option out there again.

Perhaps next year:

3.5"
4.5"
5.5"

A modern 3.5" could be a sweet device for people who want more "phone" focus

OR

4.0"
4.7"
5.5"
7.9"
9.7"

Call them all some form of "idevice/iphone" and just make a cell connection an option along with storage size.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
he is biased against anything more than 4 inches because he shouted last time that this is the best screen size and anything more is wrong. He is clearly wrong and can't come to accept it so he has to say the 4.7 is good begrudgingly but can **** on the 6 Plus for being too big.

Ooor, maybe that's his honest opinion, that 4" is fine and the 6 Plus really is too big. Some people are fine with smaller phones.

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
Ugh, I respect his opinion, I've ordered two iPhone 6+, so they may get returned if he is right.

"A few days into testing the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, I accidentally left my personal iPhone 5S on a desk next to the iPhone 6 Plus. While my back was turned, the Plus tried to eat my 5S. It’s a monster."

I ordered a 6 for me and 6 for my wife. If I had to do it over again I would have ordered a 6+ for my wife as she carries her phone in her purse, uses bluetooth in the car. Never carries it in her shorts/pants pocket. I think she would have enjoyed the bigger screen. My point is the 6+ does work for some people, you may be OK. If you have to carry the 6+ in your pocket for extended periods of time, or like to run/workout with your iPhone the 6+ is going to be to big.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Gruber is crazy. Who the hell is "pining" for the 3.5" screen of the original iphone? Seriously.

That's a good question. I'm assuming people who barely use the phone as things more than a text or call maker can view the 3.5 as "perfect size", but those of use who consume media and do productive work or browsing realized that below 5 inches makes it hard to actually do anything on the phone.

I find the 4 inch screen of the 5 absolutely too small to actually do any real work or heavy browsing on, especially now that I'll have the Plus in my hands on Friday.

The OP's post is actually really misleading, Gruber doesn't really say it's too big for using, he says it's too big for him personally (he claims to be a fan of the original iPhone size), which really isn't the best reviewer for a larger phone screen in the first place.

But, as for the Daring Fireball article itself, the review was a very good and fair review and I agree with much of it: except that I feel that after adjustments, even the 4.7 might be too small for people who wanted a larger iPhone screen.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I have a bit of hope that they might since they are selling 2 screen sizes already. If they do I hope they are willing to make it a bit thicker so they can fit in a decent battery though.

Yeah.
I think if they worked at it, they could make a 4.5" screen device that is basically the same physical size as the 4" screen devices are now.

That would be the perfect device for me.

JeepGC

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
New Orleans, LA
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what a reviewer says. What matters is what you think of it. If you don't like it, return it.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
He is clearly wrong and can't come to accept it so he has to say the 4.7 is good begrudgingly but can **** on the 6 Plus for being too big.

and for the love of God grow up. make your own decisions

He cannot be wrong. This is purely subjective. To him it is too big. To you, it is not. This isn't something that can be an objective fact. Not possible.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

Me for one. I absolutely hate the new sizes, and I would happily get back the iPhone 4 form factor with better battery and modern hardware. It was much better to actually use.

(EDIT: I'm also dumping iOS for Android over the lack of a small model)

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

I guess youll be waiting several months for a phone.

----------

Thats not true either. They are fatter and you feel them when in your pocket. The reviewers noted that the iPhone 6 plus has great pocketability.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Why do you care about someone else's opinion? I could care less about what the reviewers think. It's about what I think.:)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
A friend just dropped by to show me his iPhone 6 Plus case that just arrived from Apple. He is ********KING freaking out over the size. Offered me an even trade for my 6 arriving on Friday. I told him no way!

I hope you Plus people made some kind of template to hold in your hand so you are not surprised! I am betting many will be returned to Apple shortly!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

I like the 4s size myself and since everyone has been crying for options, I would like that to be an option too... after all options are options, not just bigger options

Agree

Me for one. I absolutely hate the new sizes, and I would happily get back the iPhone 4 form factor with better battery and modern hardware. It was much better to actually use.

(EDIT: I'm also dumping iOS for Android over the lack of a small model)

Agree

I have the 5 now, and I am debating on the upgrade, or maybe moving to my wife's 5s and letting her have the upgrade > she wants a larger phone to replace her iPad mini.

I have never felt hindered on my teeny tiny iPhone for the things I do. I understand there are some who want 1 device to rule them all so to speak and to use Photoshop, watch movies and such, but not everyone has those needs and we prefer a smaller form factor. Why are we considered idiots?? I used a Note 3 for work for a while. Meh, it was ok, but the novelty wore off quickly.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
"Me, I don’t want that. One week in and I’m still unsure about the size of the iPhone 6 relative to that of my iPhone 5S, but I’m very sure about the size of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus: it’s too big for my taste."

Even when reviewers are very explicit that something is just their personal taste, we still have to have 25 pages of argument on MacRumors about it, as if people want him to change his opinion to reflect their own. :rolleyes:

ruler22

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
PA
I was always against the larger sizes of phones when I had mi iPhone 5, but then it got stolen and I managed to get a Galaxy S3 to replace it, I initially was leery about the extra size of it. However, since then I've really grown to love the phone, as I don't really do calls on it that much.

However, since I don't have a purse nor really baggy/cargo pants (I don't wear skinny jeans either, I wear stuff that looks good - and that's not anything really baggy and sloppy), I couldn't get over the size of the 6 Plus as I had worries about how it'd fit in my pocket - particularly when sitting down.

Truthfully I'd love a size in between what Apple offers - something such as a 5.1 or 5.2" screen with smaller top and bottom bezels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.