LittleBigPlanet delayed worldwide due to Qur'an reference

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Oct 17, 2008.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Breaking News ...

SCEE statement:

"During the review process prior to the release of LittleBigPlanet, it has been brought to our attention that one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur'an. We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence that this may have caused.

"We will confirm the new launch date shortly."

Total crap. :mad: Apparently, the discs have already shipped to retailers. I would think it would be easier just to fix it with a launch-day patch.

Phrases in question:

"1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish')."

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=littlebigplanet&thread.id=129294

2. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Original Message Board Post

I'm sure Sony will delete it from the European message boards, but here's the original post that brought light to the reference.

----
    To: Sony Computer Entertainment & Media Molecule

While playing your latest game, "LittleBigPlanet" in the first level of the third world in the game (titled "Swinging Safari", I have noticed something strange in the lyrics of the music track of the level. When I listened carefully, I was surprised to hear some very familiar Arabic words from the Quran. You can listen to part of the track here:

mt14.quickshareit.com/share/p...lip22503c0.wav

The words are:

1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').

I asked many of my friends online and offline and they heard the exact same thing that I heard easily when I played that part of the track. Certain Arabic hardcore gaming forums are already discussing this, so we decided to take action by emailing you before this spreads to mainstream attention.

We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online patch, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it.

We would also like to mention that this isn't the first time something like this happened in videogames. Nintendo's 1998 hit "Zelda: Ocarina of Time" contained a musical track with islamic phrases, but it was removed in later shipments of the game after Nintendo was contacted by Muslim organizations. Last year, Capcom's "Zack & Wiki" and Activision's "Call of Duty 4" also contained objectionable material offensive to Muslims that was spotted before the release of the final games, and both companies thankfully removed the content.

We hope you act immediately to avoid any confusion and unnecessary controversy, and we thank you for making such an amazing game.

Regards,
    yasser
    ----

3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Just like the blabbering gibberish doll who was saying "Allah is the light" or some such nonsense...

I mean, the game isnt written IN arabic, so one can argue that its hearing what you want to hear...like clouds and shapes.

...sigh.

actually, i am pretty sure that was merely the use of the crescent symbol on everything...which were removed along with the red blood from Ganon during endgame...I dont recall any actual lyrics in any of the OoT songs, maybe some chanting or whatever...

I mean, are we going to listen to people beatbox and have someone from the tribe in "The Gods Must Be Crazy" saying its offensive because your gibberish sounds like our language sometimes?

When people say "We...XXX" like We Muslims, does he really believe he holds the answer for an entire group of people worldwide? I dont think so, but way to just grab that religious banter and run with it!

4. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Media Molecule Press Release

As some of you may have noticed, LBP has been slightly delayed in some territories. At MM we were as shocked and dismayed by this as anyone - shellshocked and gutted. We can’t wait for you all to get playing and creating!

We learnt yesterday that there is a lyric in one of the licensed tracks which some people may find offensive, and which slipped through the usual screening processes. Obviously MM and Sony together took this very seriously. LBP should be enjoyable by all. So within 12 hours of hearing about this issue involving a lyric (in Somalian, I believe!), we prepared an automatic day 0 patch and had a new disk image ready; however a decision was made within Sony that the right thing to do for quality and support of people with no on-line was to replace existing disks. They assure us that they are doing everything in their power to get things straightened out as fast as possible, and will announce dates soon.

Apologies to everyone excited to play the game and I can assure you that when it arrives, it will be worth the wait! We want everyone to be able to enjoy the game, and this tweak should help - we’re just gutted it couldn’t be sooner. MM continues to work hard to support the game too. We know that LBP will be something that you can enjoy for a long time to come, when all of this is forgotten and all that remains are thousands of incredible levels and creations to play, create and share.

[EDIT Sony are going to announce new dates and information re discs for each territory soon. We’ll keep you posted! The patch is ready from our side and I imagine it will go live at the same time as the game. More info when we get it. ]

http://www.mediamolecule.com/2008/10/17/and-in-other-news/

-----

Story gets better and better ...

"Well, the song is "Tapha Niang" from the 2006 album Boulevard de l'Independance by Grammy award-winning Malian kora player Toumani Diabaté (and it's available on iTunes, both Zune and Amazon marketplaces, and we imagine just about any place popular world music is sold). You can even listen to the track in its entirety on Toumani's MySpace page."

"From the brief research we've done (um ... Wikipedia), we have yet to find evidence to suggest "Tapha Niang" (or any Toumani Diabaté production for that matter) has been criticized for possible religious offenses prior to today's development. In fact, a profile published by Taipei Times describes Toumani Diabaté as 'a devout Muslim, with his own prayer room next to his office.'"

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/17/i...mmy-award-winning-artists-2006-song/#comments

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well I would rather the day 0 patch but hopefully they get this game out before the end of November.

How come the lyrics to this song wasn't noticed earlier and I'm talking about before LBP?

Note: Everything is religious offensive these days..but those are some harsh lyrics.

Bless

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Quite amazing that it got this far before they realised. Surely they had a researcher?

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well at least its only delayed a week.....gives me a little bit of time with Fable II.

Note: People are actually bitching that sony delayed the game because of this.....I don't see it as a big deal but since they were able to stop it in time and save face then why not.

Bless

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

People are too PC, too touchy nowadays.. Next thing you know a church in Manchester will be suing Sony..... :rolleyes:

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

10. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Hey, don't say that! It offends me. ;)

At first I thought it was a joke, but I can respect the culture involved. Its only delayed a week I suppose.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Holy hell I forgot about that, was at that church a few days back too.

But it's what you get here now. "brainstorming" is out, mind-mapping is in. Can't play conkers anymore incase they set on fire and burn your face into 2. Not to mention one of my my old uni's has just renamed their toilets, to accommodate cross-gender folk we no longer have male or female toilets... They're 'urinals' and 'urinals with toilets' :rolleyes: I could go on. But we're becoming a crazy soft country.

12. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Well. I'm dissapointed. Sony probably wasted a ton of money on this when they could have just released a first day patch. But hey... Now I can afford to get socom a little earlier and then play socom, far cry, and resistance beta for a week before lbp on oct 27.

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^ yeah a couple million blu ray discs in the trash, thats a lot of unnecessary environmental damage to appease the few losers who would actually be offended by it.

14. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

This was said on the lbp forum and i believe it rings 100% true;

15. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I think I know how it got so far without being noticed.

Nobody gives a crap short of a few hot headed muslims who don't speak for the whole muslim population just their zenophobic sects.

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^ yeah but those few hotheads can bring a world of bad PR for Sony ala those Dutch cartoons.

17. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Well gosh, i hate ignorant people

Edit: I found another "more colorful" quote on this issue... This one made me smile a bit

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

..oh forget it I just can't be bothered.

Bless

19. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

This is silly, I was so excited, and now all of this

20. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well... it's just one more week ;)

21. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Yup, I made a plan to buy SOCOM tomorrow, Far Cry 2 on Tuesday, and LBP the week later. I'll have enough to do before LBP.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

To add to the excellent quotes above, you can bet your ass if this was something offensive to Chrisitians Sony would've ignored them or politly responded, "too bad." Bin Laden got exactly what he wanted.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

are they reshipping all the games to be "ok"?

if so, what are they doing with the games already made? i wouldnt mind taking one. the stuff in question wouldnt offend me. i wouldnt have even noticed lol

24. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I absolutely agree that this has turned in to such a big deal due to the fact that it's the Muslim religion.

But please don't wrap the entire Muslim religion in to this decision. It is the extremists that have associated terrorism with the muslim religion. There are millions of muslims that denounce terrorism, so don't just automatically associate the two.