Live Apple Event Coverage: 'It's Show Time' [Keynote Ended]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's "It's show time" event at the Steve Jobs Theater on the company's Apple Park campus begins at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time (1 p.m. Eastern Time), and following several hardware announcements last week, we're expecting Apple to focus on services today.

Photo via Carolina Milanesi

The two key services we're expecting to see unveiled today are a news and magazine subscription service and a new streaming television service that will ultimately include not only Apple's own original content but also allow users to easily subscribe to other services such as Starz, Showtime, and perhaps HBO.

Apple may also be planning to unveil several new Apple Pay features, including a rumored Apple-branded credit card issued in partnership with Goldman Sachs. Last-minute rumors have also suggested we could see something about a gaming-related subscription service.

Following the event, we should see the release of iOS 12.2, perhaps adding support for Apple's magazine and news service, as well as bringing Apple News to Canada, new Animoji characters, HomeKit TV support for third-party TVs, and more. Additional updates in the form of macOS 10.14.4, watchOS 5.2, and tvOS 12.2 are likely also coming today.

Apple is providing a live video stream on its website and via the Apple Events app on Apple TV.

In addition to Apple's video stream, we will be updating this article with live blog coverage--no need to refresh--and issuing Twitter updates through our @MacRumorsLive account as the keynote unfolds.

Highlights from the event and separate news stories regarding today's announcements will go out through our @MacRumors account.

Keynote recap is ahead...

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Live Apple Event Coverage: 'It's Show Time' [Keynote Ended]

Reactions: macfacts and saba01

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I love these events as it gives me a semi-valid excuse to play the keynote drinking game. That's good enough for me.

One of these days we'll have to get a rulebook written up, though they're pretty self-evident when you're 20 minutes deep in a demo of AR-moji and how it can turn your household fruit into screaming anime-heads.

There are normally a few others here who do it too. Don't let me down and report in with your bevs of choice, squad! :D

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
According to The Verge, credit card blogger The Points Guy is in attendance.

Huh. Maybe we’re going to see that Goldman Sachs-backed credit card to buy all our subscriptions and TV shows with! :p

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Whatever happens, this is going to be a pivotal event in Apple’s history for better or for worse. If I had to bet, having seen the top tier talent they’re working with and the insane amount of capital Apple has to invest, we might be about to witness the birth of what may end up becoming a media giant on par with The Walt Disney Company and Comcast.

DBA6082E-97D3-4258-A373-3F1190DD164B.jpeg

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
For the first time in 15 years, I won't watch the livestream of an Apple event. Let's see what it brings, but I'm in no way inclined to sit through 2 hours of corporate wanking by the beancounter Tim and Phil 'the shill' Schiller.
Same here.
It's likely that I am not the target audience.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Whatever we see today, I'm hoping Apple TV goes from "hobby" status to full fledged, front-and-center services.

It's always been one of Apple's best products. They just need to treat it so.

Reactions: freedomlinux

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I have a feeling this as well as the news app may be available on all platforms. There's no way Apple can compete with competing services by relying on Apple users only.
Word has already come out that Apple plans to work with Tv manufacturers to include Apple TV in their built in apps. Maybe Apple reserves the portable devices like phones and tablets for Apple hardware users as the incentive to switch but I think that, like Apple Music, Apple TV will be multi platform.

Reactions: abrantes09

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
According to The Verge, credit card blogger The Points Guy is in attendance.

Huh. Maybe we’re going to see that Goldman Sachs-backed credit card to buy all our subscriptions and TV shows with! :p
Apple Pay is also a service with huge potential to generate boatloads of cash. This event will be all about services so I’m fully expecting that they will be talking about more than just the new services (tv and news) but expansions to the existing ones. I have a hunch that Apple Pay Cash in Canada and the UK is one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.