Live Photos as lock screens?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GrumpyTrucker, Sep 16, 2015.

1. GrumpyTrucker macrumors 6502a

In the Keynote it was mentioned that you can use a live photo on the Watch face and have it come to "life" when you raise the watch. Will this also be the case with the phone on the lockscreen, or even as a home screen wallpaper? I probably missed the info somewhere so just point me in the right direction if you know.

2. JerryCooke macrumors regular

JerryCooke

Yes, one of the things they showed during the Live Photos segment of the keynot was the picture of the girl blowing bubbles used as an iOS lock screen image. It remains to be seen if this will activate upon the display waking or if they'll require hard press to start them running, because that's all they showed us.

3. Yellowbean12 macrumors member

Yellowbean12

Yeah you'll have to do a force touch on the lock screen to get the image to animate, I saw it in some hands on demos.

4. JerryCooke macrumors regular

JerryCooke

Ah, that's a shame. Would be nice to have it as a toggle-able option, I can understand that you might not always want something animating on your lockscreen, but if you get a small motion transition when you swipe between photos in the app, I see no reason there couldn't be a little movement as you turn the display on :)

5. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Agreed, I'd prefer if it motioned every time you wake the screen - else what's the point? It's not significant enough for me to want to hard press the lock screen every time I unlock it or even occasionally. I'd want it to motion a bit every time and if I didn't, I'd set a static wallpaper. :confused:

6. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

They're saving that as a iPhone 7 only feature.

7. recoil80 macrumors 68000

This is something that can be done with a software upgrade and it would be fine to have a toggle in settings to enable it.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

But this will only be good for a couple of times to demo. Who is going to spend time 3D touching the lock screen before unlocking the iPhone. It needs to be just on.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This was brought up years ago and Apple cited battery concerns (as to why there are no live lock screens or wallpapers).

Having had the option in android virtually since the beginning, I can say it has lost its luster. While it would be a nice addition, I won't be too sad to not have it. I'm sure there will be a jailbreak tweak coming too, for those who must have this.

I do agree, it makes little sense to require force
    Touch though.

10. GrumpyTrucker thread starter macrumors 6502a

Battery concerns can't be an issue this time since the watch will have it each time you raise the thing to look at it. I'm not saying I'd like it all the time, but occasionally if I have a really nice live photo it might be nice for at least the same preview you can get when scrolling through them played when I picked the phone up. Have the screen come to life on lifting / waking the phone, and the short clip plays.

I'd laugh at that but with their history you're probably right :(

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Apologies for not being clear. I don't think it's a battery concern, I was just stating Apple was cited as saying it was in the past. Not sure how they "got around" it this time, but that's a classic Apple response to "why don't we have this feature yet?" Questions.

Regardless, I agree with the sentiment that holding to see the video on the lock screen is basically pointless. I will likely enable the feature as a "why not?" decision, but I will almost certainly never use it.

For what it's worth, I like the idea of love photos, though maybe not for EVERY photo (hoping there is an easy way to delete the "live part" when going through my photo album), as I think it gives photos a bit of character. I've already been doing some burst mode photos which upload to google plus and google plus takes those and makes something similar to these live photos to review within the app or through your desktop browser. I don't do it ALL the time, but I've gotten some pretty cool burst "moments" that I enjoy going back and looking at from time to time.

12. GrumpyTrucker thread starter macrumors 6502a

Didn't know Google did that. Might have a look before launch day. For some reason, maybe I'm just cynical, I have a feeling that you'd have to take the photo in the first place without "live" active rather than convert back later. Although, you're supposed to be able to send just the photo to people without a 6S so maybe there's hope.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I use Flickr as photo backup. I can't imagine that will be accepting "live photos", but I could be wrong about that. I wouldn't be surprised if you're right though.

14. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Flickr is owned by Yahoo, and I'd say they might be very interested in creating some additional goodwill with Apple. I would not be surprised at all if Flickr integrate the LP tech (and Photobucket for that matter).

15. allprologue macrumors regular

I hope that moving fish from all the demo phones is preloaded onto all the phones that ship because I want it.

16. lordofthereef, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2015

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This wouldn't excite me lol

I can't imagine it would be hard to find online even if not included

17. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I think it's pretty cool, especially since: 1) it's automatic, 2) appears to be getting support outside of original vendor (Apple), and 3) is easily turned off.

I've been in the tech sector a _long_ time and seen a lot of gimmicks, come ... and go ... but this is super interesting to me. We shoot a ton of photos (~200GB according to our backup) - especially of a our little G - and I'm always thinking, "Dang, wish I should've gotten that as quick video". Clearly this isn't the same complete experience, but I think it will be a neat hybrid solution.

That being said, I'm mostly stoked for the camera improvements outside of the LPs :)

18. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Live Photos, I would never use it, and many will for a limited time than get tired of it except the children, just like some using Siri, than not using this as much. I would like to turn it off if that is even possible when I take pictures.

Lock Screen I would like it in the On Position, but sadly it a no as I see it

19. noobinator macrumors 601

You can turn it off when you take pictures.

20. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

Seeing a
    As the liv
    Willing to bet that "Live Photos" are nothing more than animated GIFs so should be widely supported by Flicker and the likes.

21. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I'm willing to bet it's not (due to rights and technical concerns) :)

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Fair enough. I was just saying I don't care either way. 1tb of free storage is enough that I don't mind the change. At the same time, unless my tastes change, I already know it's not something I'm going to be doing a whole lot with. If people are excited for an addition like this don't let my apathy ruin their day. :)

23. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I thought it would be cool to have the animation play when using Touch ID to unlock the phone. 3D Touch to make it Happen seems pointless.

24. AppleChic76 macrumors 6502

AppleChic76

LOL!

*more funny because you're probably right.