Living Abroad

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by smallcoffee, May 5, 2018.

1. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Have you ever lived abroad? Where? What was that experience like?

I lived in Korea for a year and I really wish that I had done it at my age now and under different circumstances. I would have enjoyed it quite a bit more and took the opportunity to travel around Asia that I regret almost daily.

How about you all?

2. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

I lived in Germany for about five years. When I moved there, I didn't speak a word of the language apart from being able to say "the grass is green" and some other such sentences. Went to school in a regular class with German kids so I picked up the language fairly quickly just by listening and, well, because I had to. It also helped that I was pretty young at the time.

An all around great experience. Made great friends some of which I'm still in contact with, after more than 20 years.

3. Zenithal macrumors 604

4. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Lived in Italy for two years from 2007-2009. Wife was asked from her job to go work on a project at their Italian site. We were married but didn't have kids yet so we took advantage of the opportunity. It was a great experience.

Oh and the look of people's faces seeing an American car driving in Italy with Pennsylvania license plates was priceless :D

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I am guessing you were in the military? My first time abroad was in Korea in the Army. I am probably one of the few Americans that actually loved it there. I have never been a drinker or club kind of guy. I spent all my weekends sightseeing, camping, hiking, rafting.

I have been to a few other places in the Army as well.

Anyhow, I am married with a couple of kids now, my wife is from Japan and I am looking for a job there.

6. andrewmarich macrumors member

andrewmarich

I was born in Australia, moved to Hawaii for 4 years, back to Sydney, moved to Greece for a year, traveled around 16 countries in Europe, moved to London for a year, back to Australia, moved to New York for 6 months and have currently been in Los Angeles for the past 3.5 years..

It has been a great experience, learning the different cultures etc.. It is hard to leave though and to leave friends behind..
    The older I have gotten the harder it is to uproot from where I am living..

If you're regretting not doing it, then make it happen..! There is always a way..

I think there is definitely something to that saying "Travel is the Only Thing You Buy that Makes You Richer"

7. 0002378 Suspended

Born and raised in India (18 years), been in the US since. Have traveled around Europe and parts of Asia.

Two extreme opposites in terms of culture, it has really given me a broad worldview, and I think I have absorbed the best of both worlds and seen the flaws of each.

So, I'm not sure which of the two is "abroad" :D
    --- Post Merged, May 5, 2018 ---
    I'm jealous ... Germany's great ! Love the language, the food, the cars they make, just everything about it, really :)

8. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

It really is. Fortunately I know so many people around the whole country that there's always a bed and a roof over my head when the mood to visit strikes! And it does strike pretty often; I try to make at least one longer trip there every year.

9. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I moved down the street from where I used to live. Seems like a different world. The people are so different...

10. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I spent several months in Loompaland, nicer than I expected, the Snozzwangers throw some killer BBQs, but the Vermicious Knids are real hardasses about the HOA policies.

11. 0002378 Suspended

That's so cool ! Have you been to the Schwarzwald ? Are you partial to any regions or cities/towns ?

I only got to see a bit of Berlin and Munich while I was there. Would have liked to stay longer and see more.

12. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Schwarzwald not so much, I've been to Karlsruhe plenty of times but that's about it. I'd say my favorite cities are definately Berlin, Frankfurt and the Hessen area in general. Now Munich is also a lovely city, but for some inexplicable reason I've never been there in October. This will be rectified, hopefully soon.

13. RobaxMan Suspended

Ah, my favourite city in ALL of Europe - Berlin. And then there's Hessen - home of the Taunus Hills, Grüne Soße, Handkäse Mit Musik, and Apfelwein.

14. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

It really is something else. The slogan "Das Grösste Dorf Deutschlands" (The biggest village in Germany) is very apt; the different regions of the city have very distinct characteristics and the big park areas are nice if one wants to get away from the hectic atmosphere bigger cities tend to have.

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Lived in China during the reign of Deng Xiao Peng, for 2 years. Went to school in Japan. In apartheid era South Africa for 3. In Israel, prior to the first intifada for 3 years. In Egypt during Mubarak's reign in the mid 80's for almost 3 years. Visited many places. Liked all of them and consider myself fortunate to have lived in them during interesting times.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

We have an office in Karlsruhe. Been there a few times.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

England and Taiwan for several years each. I've spent a lot of time in but never lived in Canada and France.

I still travel as often as possible. There are a few places I still haven't seen.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I've lived and worked abroad quite a bit, for months, or years, at a time.

At present, I am working in Africa, but I have also lived and worked in central Asia, the Caucasus, the Balkans, Germany for a while, when I was a lot younger, and some other places in western Europe, including Ireland and the UK.

I love it - even as a child, I remember I wanted to see the world and travel extensively.

19. niploteksi macrumors regular

The downside is being injected into a society where you have no clues about how things work. Navigating through authorities and everything you take for granted back home can be a real chore. Especially when you don't speak the language. Everything from social security numbers to garbage disposal can present a challenge.

I got reminded of this the other day when I lost my wallet with drivers license, university ID, all my credit cards and various other fun stuff. The following day I get a phone call from some middle eastern man who speaks broken English, explaining he found my wallet but don't know which authorities to contact. It really reminded me how hard it can be moving to countries where your normal safety net doesn't work like you are used to.

Now... when you have an employer who takes care of everything and just chucks you into a place to stay it's another matter :)

20. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Since my childhood I've lived and later worked more abroad than in my mother country.
    Nevertheless, as the wise say "first posting is like the first love", so I intend to go back to Switzerland very soon.

21. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I was born and raised in London. However, I spent 5 years in St. Lucia, West Indies, in my younger years.

Living in St. Lucia was an experience and eye opening. Even more so coming from London, to a financially less fortunate place. But, I learned a lot about life, people and appreciating the simple things.

In 2000 I moved from London to Atlanta, GA. After 17 years, I am still getting used to it. You’d be amazed at the things you miss that you NEVER thought about prior to moving.
    - going to the shops
    - buying you favourite sweets and such
    - getting on the tube (or not since we don’t really have one)
    - going to the local pub
    - walking and not always getting in a bloody car
    - popping over to a friends house
    - going to watch Arsenal play
    ...and the list goes on.

I was in London at Christmas for a week. A Christmas present from the missus. I acted like a right tourist while I was there; albeit I knew the quickest route to my destinations

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I've had that "first love" thing, too, (France as a teenager) but I've also subsequently experienced the very much fall-out-of-love, when you view the place benignly, but not with the avid, and blinkered passion of youth, as you are now alert to its foibles and faults, the ones you have decided you don't like.

Actually, I've thought for years that there is an element of the classic, clichéd "rootless cosmopolitan" in my character, (and yes, I am very aware of the historical meanings tucked away in that term), because, even when I really liked a country, I found I preferred living there as an outsider; these days, of course, that also seems to apply to my own home country as well.

23. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This probably does not count as living there but during a 3 year tour technically living on Guam, I spent 85% of my time split primarily between Tokyo (Atsugi Air Base), and the Phillipines (Subic Bay Naval Station) with side trips all over the Pacific, Asia, South China Sea, and Indian Ocean. I owned a car in Japan, I was there so much. My wife came with me on many deployments. Of the two, we loved Japan the best, but the Phillipines was fun, we were always bringing back lots of rattan. :)

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Like @Zenithal I've lived in Germany for the last 14 years and plan to retire in Spain. I've Traveled all over Europe and look forward to going back in 18 months or so. My wife and I were talking the other day about where to go after my daughter heads off to college and we figured South America would be next. Ideally before I retire I'd like to live and work in Japan so we can see a bit of Asia and Australia. Life is a grand adventure and it's a great big world out there and I want to see it all.

25. daflake macrumors 6502a

Lived in Germany off and on for 10 years since the 90s and now live in Italy. Love every minute of it and really want to stay as long as I can.