LMcable Aims to Be World's First USB Charging Cable With 2-in-1 Lightning and Micro USB Connector

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LMcable is a new Kickstarter project aiming to be the world's first cable containing a 2-in-1 connector that can charge both Lightning and Micro USB devices.

One side of the 2.4A charging cable has a Lightning connector for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and other Apple products, while the reverse side has a Micro USB connector for devices like select Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone smartphones.

The stitched leather cable is about 1 meter long and designed with tin-plated copper wires for increased durability. A basic brass buckle is included that allows you to coil the cable neatly so that it remains untangled.

Perhaps the biggest caveat of the LMcable is that it lacks MFi certification. Apple's MFi Program has strict guidelines, so it remains questionable if a custom Lightning-Micro USB connector would ever be approved as an official accessory.

Another design tradeoff is that the cable lacks the reversibility of an official Lightning cable, meaning it can only be plugged into an iPhone in one direction like Apple's old 30-pin docking cable or a traditional USB Type-A connector.

Nevertheless, LMcable is an interesting novelty that has exceeded its $5,000 AUD funding goal by nearly tenfold as of Tuesday morning. Like many other Kickstarter projects, however, there is no guarantee the cable will ever ship to customers.

Those interested can pledge $21 AUD on Kickstarter to receive one cable, or $43 AUD to receive three cables, in Sunlight White, Vintage Brown, Moonlight Black, or Cowboy Blue. LMcable aims to begin shipping in mid-April barring any unforeseen delays.

Article Link: LMcable Aims to Be World's First USB Charging Cable With 2-in-1 Lightning and Micro USB Connector

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
This is great! I hate having to take two chargers for my iDevice and my third party accessories that require a micro usb like a keyboard case or battery pack.

srminton

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
This is great! I hate having to take two chargers for my iDevice and my third party accessories that require a micro usb like a keyboard case or battery pack.
Good point. My first thought was "why do I need this? I only have one phone." But I forgot about those keyboards, portable battery chargers and bluetooth headphones which need a micro usb cable.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
I bought a few of "regular" 2-in-1 cables, which are essentially a microUSB cable with a microUSB-Lightning adapter attached at the end. They are neat, but not nearly as useful as I imagined.

They are most useful at my desk, where I sometimes charge/sync my iPhone with Lightning and also charge my Logitech keyboard/mouse with microUSB, but almost never at the same time.

On the nightstand, they aren't very useful because I need more than one cable as I tend to charge things at the same time overnight (iPhone, Kindle, bluetooth accessories). Thus a dual-purpose cable isn't good there.

I haven't used one in a car, but I expect the situation is similar to the nightstand usecase where charging is done simultaneously to two or more devices, thus there is a need for multiple cables rather than one cable with multiple connectors.

ross.alex.k

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
Great, now I can carry one cable and charge my Samsung and my Apple with one cable. NOT! hahaha...

The solution this cable is trying to offer is silly. Would be better to just put Lightning ports in more stuff instead of USB...

Jamieserg

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
This seems a bit late to the party. Most new android phones are coming out with USB Type C. It's a great idea though even if flawed.

Joe Rossignol

Editor
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Great, now I can carry one cable and charge my Samsung and my Apple with one cable. NOT! hahaha...

The solution this cable is trying to offer is silly. Would be better to just put Lightning ports in more stuff instead of USB...
I would like to see USB-C adopted more widely. Lightning is fine but also proprietary.

I'm glad at least the Retina MacBook has USB-C, and other Macs will follow with Thunderbolt 3.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The idea is good - I have my Bluetooth controller and keyboard I could use it with. But I'm not going to trust a company whose campaign reads the way theirs does - They spell IOS and Iphone like this among other things. Why are we trusting a company who says they're located in Australia, but their website is on a server in China and they don't have their business location publicly listed?

Reactions: Johnny Vegas

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
And then Apple makes the lightning cable thinner....An innovative product that is to be killed even before its launch just for making the iPhones a mm thinner...

iPhone 7 May Feature Flush Camera, Stereo Speakers and Thinner Lightning Port
https://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/01/iphone-7-flush-camera-stereo-speakers/
Did you even read the article you linked to?
The site claims that the Lightning port enclosure may be thinner than it currently is, but that it will still be fully compatible with current Lightning cables.

ReneR

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Awesome idea, Apple's Lighting invention instead of USB-C was really a superfluous money making move :-/ With more than one device we now sit here in a cable mess.

I have the feeling this project may not ship a stable product successfully. And without official MFi Apple may brick it later on anyways :-/

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011

Forget taking two cables. I recently bought one of those 3rd party phone charging battery packs and it came with a USB-to-MicroUSB cable. I bought this: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD820AM/A/lightning-to-micro-usb-adapter, a little 19" adapter, which allows me to use the brick's charging cable to also charge my iPhone 5s and/or iPad.

Oh, word of warning, I bought the little doohickey in a physical Apple Store. I wasn't sure if it would work the way I intended, so after buying it I opened it up in the store to try it out. Turns out I'd bought an EMPTY BOX. There was no doohickey in the box. So, watch for that...

Oh and why does EVERYTHING have to be a Kickstarter campaign?

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I will wait and make sure this cable doesn't explode phones.
Yeah, and I'll also wait to make sure the cables don't fail a month after backers receive them, like the cables from 2 other Kickstarter projects that I've backed.

My advice to everyone - Save your money. Wait for them to be released, and see how the quality is first, or back it but don't expect a quality product. Keep your expectations very low.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
I would be all over this if it was certified. Don't really care about reversibility. We are an Apple family, but my wife uses a Mophie, my daughter has Bluetooth headphones and my point and shoot charges via micro USB, so this would be handy.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hmmm... good looking cable. That's for sure. I almost went on to back the project, and then I realized that I have the same thing in my backpack, except it works via built-in adaptor. The benefit is that it is reversible and MFi certified. I think I'll stick with that.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
So it can't be used with the iPad Pro... I wonder if the new connector will be on the the idevices also?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.