iPad Loathe iPad, then Loving it again...iOS 7.1 amazing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Anti-Lucifer, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

Soooooo....

Calling all the ZBoater apologists and apple kool-aiders:

Few months ago, I went on a ranting rampage about how crappy the iPad AIR is and how I returned it. Mainly due to safari crashing, apps crashing, just crap on crap iOS 7.0 dished out.

Anyway, long story short, I gave up recent JB 7.0.4 and installed iOS 7.1B5 and I am amazed at apple how they can optimize this iPad Air like they should've done so when iOS 7.0 was first released.

Not only do I not get crashing again, the iPad Air is just extremely good to use because the interface is so quick and switching between apps does not seem to slow down and literally no lag is left from iOS 7.0.4; All in all, I'm extremely happy the performance has returned back to the same level it was and better from iOS 6.X days. The iPad Air with ios 7.1B5 also has incredible battery life to boot. I thought it was a fluke (uncalibrated battery) but after having recharged and discharged completely, I get the same battery performance the 2nd time around.

I am extremely happy with the ipad AIR and man, anyone who is questioning if a software revision can fix all the iPad Air problems you have now? YES. When the final build comes, you guys with iPad Air on ios 7.0.x will love the ipad all over again.

1GB RAM on iOS 7.1B5 doesn't even matter because I have not had a single issue like I did back on ios 7.0.4

Battery life:
    [​IMG]

Batter life 2nd time around:
    [​IMG]

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

That's good to know. I've got an Air and I've been getting 16-18 hours from a charge for months. Safari and mail crash about once a month. Before it was constantly. I look forward to 7.1.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

Thanks for the update and that's the problem I hate the most which is crappy/choppy UI performance from their top of the line tablet. If they can smooth out the performance then yay. I've been tempted to return the Air back to Best Buy as I have less than 2 weeks but i'm gambling that 7.1 will smooth things out on the Air.

4. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's no need to gamble on anything - trust me when I say I will not hesistate to return a product to the store if it fails to meet my usage expectations. iOS 7.1B5 proves the ipad AIR really works wonderfully. As for ipad 4, I have not installed yet because I am preserving that JB for now.

On the AIR, it's excellent!

----------

as you can seen, I installed it last month and the ipad AIR has been used thru today and I've yet to have one single crash/app closing like I did frequently in iOS 7.0.4!

It's just been superb with iOS 7.1B5

[​IMG]

5. bpbatch, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

bpbatch macrumors member

••this post has been deleted by the author***

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Impossible. Everyone knows that iOS 7.0 has been as smooth and responsive as 6.x... except for those who are anti-Apple shills.

Of course the apologists fail to reconcile the awesome perfectness of 7.0 with Apple's repeated updates to it. (How can perfection be improved upon? ;) :p )

All kidding aside, I'm relieved to hear that. Having been forced to update my iPad 4 to 7.0.6 (due to the SSL issue), I'm hoping that 7.1 will restore my iPad to the awesome perfection I had with 6.1.3 (seriously, not sarcasm)

7. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Actually yes, I have iOS 7.1 beta 5 on the first gen Mini in our house and it runs so so much smoother than 7.0.X. You will see a good improvement for sure.

8. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

My experience thus far has been positive as is so any upgrades or improvements to the OS are just ducky with me.

There is a thread over in the OS section and the reports about 7.1 have been mostly positive so this is just more good news about it. Excellent.

9. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wanted to add something: I always did a clean install; that is I had a JB on iOS 7.0.4; i did a full reset all network and settings; then I did an option install of 7.1B5. Then I did another reset all network and settings once I setup the iPad as a new iPad just to super cleaned (redundant for sure).

After that it's a new iPad not restored and my performance is optimum. Btw, I just experienced my first crash in safari! But it was due to a massive javascript messaging system that I came across but then again, it also lagged my laptop on the same exact site!

So for nearly 6 days on iOS 7.1B5, I've witnessed one single crash in safari - this is having opened numerous other apps, games, and just using my iPad AIR as a consumption device it was meant to be used. on iOS 7.0.4, I had to actually be careful I don't use any payment websites because the damn thing would crash on me while making a transaction! I was just sick of the constant issues with iOS 7.0

Too bad even in iOS 7.1B5, the ugliness of this UI is still here. It's a shame, something that works so greatly has to look like sh!!

10. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

So when is 7.1 actually going to get formally released? Been hearing about it for what seems like ages. I want it!

11. Anti-Lucifer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could be TOMORROW, could be next week, could be end of month. With all the resources at apple and their cash hoard, I don't understand why all of these initial iOS 7.0 issues aren't quickly fixed with a 7.1 update released weeks after iOS 7 went public. They take too long to fix these bugs when they should've fixed these issues BEFORE they release iOS 7!

Sure they are new 64bit processors in the iPad air and rMini/iPhone 5S but come on, you are apple - virtually unlimited resources and yet this entire iOS 7.0 is so ugly and even if it's ugly, it should work right but it's ugly and it's broken!

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

The company operates differently post Steve. I do agree that iOS 7 has been a buggy mess. I wouldn't say it's ugly, I would rather say it's not Apple's best effort. The parallax idea is not bad but it doesn't add to a functional experience other than, ooh that's cool. I prefer to turn it off.

13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I find it disappointing that it takes apple 6 month to come up with a decent version of iOS for their top of the line product. That is half it's product cycle with sub-par OS. There should have been a way to fix at least the worst problems in the meantime. I only can imagine that they did a rebuilt of everything under the hood and therefore need some time.

14. thadoggfather, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

x.1 releases always are SO much better than x.0 historically for the past few iOS releases I can recall.

4.0 to 4.1 you got HDR features and added performance smoothness.

5.0 to 5.1 seemed a lot better but I don't remember specifics. I think battery was a big one, 5.0 was a dog on 4s and on 5.1 still a dog but less of one. FWIW, I think 5.0 was the least problematic iOS x.0 that I can recall, I was even happily on 5.0 the last beta before GM on iPhone 4, because I was so eager to be 'PC-less' and have iMessage even though none of my friends had it at that point.

6.0 to 6.1 was staggering (no more camera slide up from lock screen respring crashes on my iPhone 5--reproducible on stock iOS, I thought it was a hardware defect at first it was so appalling. With 7.0, I'd imagine anything's fair game on wonkiness)

7.0 to 7.1 I suspect will be similar. 7.1 beta 2 has proven to be infinitely more promising than 7.0.4 was for the 3 hours I had it on my rMini. 64-bit and 7.0 seems like oil and vinegar. I was ready to go back to iPad 3 on 6.1.2 if there was no resolution for the constant Safari crashing. I am happy to report 7.1 was the resolution. Didn't bother to play the 7.0 game on my iPhone5 when I snatched up another one so i went straight onto 7.1b2.

can't remember "iPhone OS 1-3" specifically, but I was on those too. Since I'm on this nostalgic trip, I remember going to jailbreakme.com 2 minutes after pulling my first gen out of the box, and hactivating too to avoid that 2 year contract. I ended up activating it because hactivating was problematic battery wise, etc. But still, even pre-App store, Cydia (and Installer, I think it was just installer) were godsends... Oh wait, they still are.

Just as soon as the OS gets mature and relatively usable, its onto the next buggy x.0 iteration. Wash, rinse, repeat.

If ever in doubt, the "point one" releases are the safest bet. YMMV, but this was my experience.

15. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

What's up with the circles and lines on the on/off switches in Settings?

16. cababah macrumors 68000

Awesome...only took :apple: 6 months to release something that should have been on the device at launch = lazy, rushed, and pathetic.

17. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Do you want to try giving it a shot yourself?

Anyway, if true, I'm looking forward to 7.1. My ipad and iphone have both frequently been doing soft reboots at an alarming rate.

18. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

OP, did you send an apology and flowers to Apple?

19. cababah macrumors 68000

Can I do it better myself? Gee, I should settle for a lot of things in life by applying that logic.

Anyway, I have slightly higher expectations for a multi-billion dollar hardware/software company.

20. joshisaboss macrumors member

joshisaboss

It's a new accessibility setting that came out with 7.0.3(I think)

21. Rodster macrumors 68040

Turn off labels in settings to get rid of that.

22. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

I can't wait for this update.

I agree that the OS shouldn't have been released in its buggy state. I'm talking about constant crashing (happens several times per evening for me). It really is subpar, and a fix for at least that should have been released by now.

This is, of course, is my opinion as a consumer.

23. AppleRobert macrumors 603

From what I've read, CarPlay is reliant on 7.1 so it should not be too much longer.

24. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

This is great to hear. My recently purcahsed ipad air is completely UNUSABLE when browsing any kind of website with safari. Everything else seems great though, but as others have pointed out, this is really not acceptable for one of Apple's flagship products... I mean I bought my ipad very recently, but both it and the OS have been out for a while now... boggles the mind, I mean it's not like they pay a bunch of engineers full time to do their jobs or something. Maybe they're understaffed in that department (shouldn't be, of course), but either way they need to run a tighter ship with respect to their software... :/

25. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Guess you got a bad one perhaps. If that were the case and they were unusable browsing, there would be thousands returned to Apple, Best Buy etc.

Did you set it up as a new Ipad? Are you jailbroken?