Lock Screen Interrupts airplay from youtube ios app to apple tv.

Project_studio99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2020
I have a youtube premium account and i often time airplay videos from my iPhone YouTube app to apple tv.

With YT premium, I can background play the YT videos and airplay it to apple tv.

Since I upgraded to ios14 and tvOS 14, every time I airplay videos to apple tv, the video stops when the iphone goes dark, into lock mode, or when i leave the app. When I tap on the screen I can see the video file and when I tab the play button the video will play but it will start from the very beginning. If i manage to have it back ground play while airplaying it to the apple tv, everytie i switch back to the youtube app, the video will be interrupted and start from beginning again.

Has anyone run into the same problem?

Reactions: MHenr

MHenr

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
Yep same with other subscriptions I have. I don't sub to YT Premium.
But Formula 1 and WEC live broadcasts over airplay is the same.
Phone is unusable if I'm using airplay.

MarcD73

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2020
Same here using my iPhone on iOS 14. I have a couple of other devices on lower than ios 14 (an iPad on the last release of iOS 12 and an iPhone 6 on iOS 13). Both of these work fine when airplaying to my Apple TV which is on TVOS14 and be locked or I can leave the YouTube app and AirPlay will continue. This says to me that it’s not the Apple TV that’s the problem but iOS 14.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.