Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
There’s a reason why Apple didn’t want widgets on the lock screen for a long time. They are truly useless. But they look somewhat good on the lock screen. But they should’ve been colorful and more Watch like. But for me.. I don’t use nothing more than calendar and weather. Pretty useless.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
It's because Apple wasn't capable of making an always on display for a long time. They're very useful with an AOD, though I'll give you they're next to useless without one.
And the other thing is that you can’t rely on them displaying fresh information. For example the weather widget shows old info too often. So I open the app everytime anyway.

Reactions: spartan1967

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
There are supposed to be a lot more working from apps that have updated in the last day. But so far, most people are unable to add anything but Apple's defaults.
I haven't had any problems adding 3rd party widgets. I mean I wish I could add more than 2-3 widgets like we can in the rectangular section below the time.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
And the other thing is that you can’t rely on them displaying fresh information. For example the weather widget shows old info too often. So I open the app everytime anyway.
That could be just a bug. I seem to remember that many widgets had the same issue when they were allowed on the home screen for the first time, in iOS 14. Calendar, clock, weather... they worked fine in the widgets screen, but froze on the home screen. They did fix this eventually. I'm sure they'll fix the lock screen issues as well. Give them time.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
There are supposed to be a lot more working from apps that have updated in the last day. But so far, most people are unable to add anything but Apple's defaults.

You’ve got to open the apps once you update them. Then they show up in the list of available widgets.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Yeah I can't see any 3rd party widgets, despite having many apps that were updated the last few days with widget support.

Uber fail.
‪A workaround for 3rd party lockscreen widgets without deleting and reinstalling apps is to change system language to something different and back. ‬

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
For me the only 3rd party widget I’ve come across is for halide which for mobile photographers is kind of a game changer. The closest we’ve got to replacing the camera with a 3rd party app.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
You’ve got to open the apps once you update them. Then they show up in the list of available widgets.

Yeah I saw that suggestion elsewhere and it's not making any difference unfortunately. The other suggestion I saw was to uninstall/reinstall, but I haven't taken that step yet.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
That could be just a bug. I seem to remember that many widgets had the same issue when they were allowed on the home screen for the first time, in iOS 14. Calendar, clock, weather... they worked fine in the widgets screen, but froze on the home screen. They did fix this eventually. I'm sure they'll fix the lock screen issues as well. Give them time.
I’ve been having this problem since the beginning. I don’t think they’ll fix it in the near future.

tgibb80

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Michigan
The only Lock Screen widget I would like to use is the Weather. I don’t like to use my location in order to conserve battery. Does anyone know if there is a way to set a location like you can on the Home Screen weather widget and not share location. Currently it just says ‘Location Services turned off’

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
For such a major new feature, sure sucks that its semi-broken for a lot of people.

What on earth was the beta for?

There were no third party apps updated to iOS 16 during the beta (with some TestFlight exceptions).

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Any idea why the Halide widget for the lock screen isn't showing as an option? Using the latest version that just came out. I'm a paid user.

*Got it to work. Offloaded the app, then reloaded it.

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Why not? I bet Apple was restricting it, otherwise why would developers not want to test it?

Apple was restricting it…as they do with all third party apps. No one can submit an app for public distribution using the new OS version’s SDK until the iOS release candidate is released.

As I mentioned, Developers 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 able to test it: in Xcode, their own devices and on a limited basis via TestFlight.

So no, it was not some conspiracy on Apples’s part to release crappy software.

AppleFanboy1984

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2019
Sweden
Widgets seems useless. How often are they updating? The app "Things" have a widget, but it didnt update with todays todos. And its been like 10 hours in to this day. When pressing the widget, it updated.

Crap :(

Reactions: Feyl

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Yeah I saw that suggestion elsewhere and it's not making any difference unfortunately. The other suggestion I saw was to uninstall/reinstall, but I haven't taken that step yet.
Rather than uninstall\install fully some have said to use the offload app feature which removes the app but not the data so when you reinstall the app its as it was.

Reactions: gwhizkids

hsnsky

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2014
I think Apple needs to include widgets that cater to those deep in the watch, phone, laptop ecosystem. I mean, with an apple watch some of these widgets become useless such as weather, schedule, activity, battery, huge lock screen clock etc. Maybe full sized calendar (month view) like the fantastical app has. I'm sure they can think of a few.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.