Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdwdivx

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
Map F12 to Eject

Just got a MBPr and I wanted a solution to lock the screen that's similar to the native one (CTRL+SHIFT+EJECT to turn of display). Here's the best solution I came up with, assuming you don't mind remapping your F12 key.

Install KeyRemap4MacBook. Select option to remap F12 to Eject.

This will sleep the display all in 1 key combo (for me, CTRL+SHIFT+FN+F12) which I think is the simplest/fastest solution. You can also setup a key combo to disable the remap temporarily if you need the F12 key.

stockinvestor

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
The best solution i have found so far is to use Alfred.app - open it with shorkeys and write "lock" then it locks the machine!

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
i just use the display sleep keyboard shortcut already mentioned and it works wonderfully for me. it takes a split second to press. no need to mess with scripts or apps and much faster than calling up spotlight and launching an app/script.

hot corners works too. you can set it to require password after 5 seconds instead of immediately so you dont have to enter your password if you accidentally trigger it.

prashaantt

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents to this old thread.

I suspect those that couldn't get Ctrl+Shift+Power to work need to ensure that "Require password _immediately_ after sleep..." in Security settings is checked.

subpop

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
For me on my 15-inch retina, ctrl+shift+power (instead of eject) did the exact same thing as ctrl+shift+eject does (display sleep, no screensaver or computer sleep). \o/

danglefoot

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
I initially thought ctrl+shift+power wasn't working, in the same way that ctrl+shift+eject works on my external keyboard, but have since realised that i need to hold down the power key, for a fraction of a second, rather than just tapping it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.