Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zsbradt

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2014
California
I'm going to be living in France later this year from late August through December. I currently have a new iPhone XR that I bought through T-Mobile in the US, so it's locked. Is it possible to get T-Mobile to unlock it for me before then or no? If not, I was looking at the Apple clearance site iPhone SE's as a relatively inexpensive backup that I could get and use with a French carrier SIM card. Is this a good idea? Thanks

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm going to be living in France later this year from late August through December. I currently have a new iPhone XR that I bought through T-Mobile in the US, so it's locked. Is it possible to get T-Mobile to unlock it for me before then or no? If not, I was looking at the Apple clearance site iPhone SE's as a relatively inexpensive backup that I could get and use with a French carrier SIM card. Is this a good idea? Thanks
JUMP, JOD, EIP or did you buy outright?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
EIP for the trade-in deal and the website says it’s supposed to be fully paid off :/
Yep. They won't unlock on EIP until you're done.

You could try a third party-service, but I don't know what the going price is.

Derzkin

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2015
Reach out to them and ask for an International unlock, and let them know when you will be there. Since you will be going in August, you will have more than 40 days of service by the time you leave. They may not allow the phone to be unlocked until late July, but until you reach out to them, you won't know. The best method in my experience is using Twitter DM's to T-Mobile Help.

Reactions: zsbradt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.