locking when off the wrist

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by deany, Jul 24, 2015.

1. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi

I'm looking for some help on this one please. I understand when taking the watch off your wrist, it locks. Thats fine and understandable with apple pay and security etc.

However, when I charge my watch at night on its stand if I check the time its locked even after entering the code once. So I miss phone calls etc.

Is there any way around this so entering code once when off wrist unlocks it until putting it back on wrist, or am I missing something?

thanks in advance.

2. IllusionEntity macrumors 6502

IllusionEntity

The watch will always lock itself after a particular period of time after it is not worn. Much like your phone locks itself. I do understand that you can choose for the phone lock timer but that functionality does not carry over. Obviously things like Apple Pay need to be protected and it's not as secure as it is with the iPhone with TouchID.

For example: if someone stole the watch from you outside of your home. You wouldn't want them to also be using your Apple Pay.

3. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

In Apple Watch app, My Watch > General > turn off Wrist Detection. Note that you won't be able to use Apple Pay with Wrist Detection turned off.

4. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

No, there is no way to get it to behave the way you're asking it to. And you shouldn't be missing calls if you have your phone on you or otherwise not on silent while you're without your Watch (which I'm guessing is strictly during the time you're in bed and nearly asleep, anyway).

5. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

thank you for everyones speedy reply. I guess I'll use testcards recommendation (thank you) for now and turn the wrist detection off at night and on in the morning.
    Maybe I'll setup a geofence reminder 'turn on/off wrist detection' for when I leave home and then get home.

omgitscro, I have my iphone 6 switched to permanent silent as I dont like both iphone and apple watch ringing at the same time when calls come in.

thanks again

6. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Thats strange, the turn off 'Wrist detection' still locks apple watch when on charge.

Yet when off charge it doesn't lock. So I still have the same issue.

Any ideas?

Cheers

7. Mac2me, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Can you call Apple Support and ask the technical team? I know you can call for up to so many days with a new product. Not sure what the Watch timeframe is.

I wonder with the OS Watch2 update and the sleep mode setting if that will enable calls.

8. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Yes I'll phone them in the morning and leave a message here with there reply.

Cheers

9. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Just spoken to apple support and the apple watch is not ment to ring when its on charge.

So if like me you dont like the watch and phone ringing on in coming calls then-

Set a geofence for 'turn silent mode on' when arriving home.

and 'turn silent mode off' when leaving home.

10. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

How do you acomplish this?

11. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

It has to be done manually, by setting a geofence in the iphone Reminders app.

Hopefully Apple will come up with something better in the future, but in the meantime this is a work around.

Cheers

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

All you really need to do is get your phone off of silent when you charge your watch. That is it.

13. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

well yes Newtons apple but what if I forget to switch to normal when watch is charging?

On Friday first thing I missed an important alarm for a Doctors appointment, I dont want the possibility of that happening again.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm not sure if I quite understand your situation. When the Watch is off your wrist and locked, you're supposed to rely on your iPhone for notifications. Why aren't you listening for calls/alarms on your iPhone?

15. Roller macrumors 68020

That would be my question as well. The only time I rely on the watch for notifications is when I'm wearing it. At night, I get notifications on my phone, which is charging next to my watch. During the day, I keep the watch and phone on silent so as not to disturb people at work. That's when the watch's taps are most useful.

16. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

jaylenochinimac and Roller- I prefer not to have both iphone and apple watch ringing during the day. So I use the 'silent mode' on the side of the iphone.

When I get home the silent mode is still on and while charging apple watch I miss calls etc.
    So I do rely on iphone while watch is charging.... but I now have set a geofencce reminder to switch iphone silent mode back to off so call etc come through at home.

If I forgot to do this I miss calls etc when watch is charging.

Hope I explained my situation better.

Cheers

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wouldn't a better solution be to put the Watch permanently on silent? You'll still feel the taps for notifications and it's less intrusive that way. A number of members do this.

18. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just do it when you put the watch on charge. It is quick and easy to do and will become a habit quickly. Us humans have been known to learn all kind of tricks.

19. deany, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015

deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Unfortunately where I live I cant get landline broadband so I tether my iphone to a 3g router when I get home. So my phone is not near the apple watch stand by my bed.

I guess most people have their phone & watch by their bed, I dont. and yes being in my fifties now I do know a little bit about human evolution.

thanks jaylenochinimac I'll give that a try, but I do like the watch sound as well as the taps.

20. Recognition macrumors 6502

Recognition

I have my phone on silent all the time.
    I have my watch on charge at night and my phone on charge next to it.
    My alarms ring on both phone and watch in the morning despite the phone being on silent and the watch not on my wrist.

Not sure how you missed your alarm?

21. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Thanks for your reply Recognition. I'm using an iphone 6 with ios 8.4 and apple watch 1.0.1.

I put apple watch on its stand to charge and turned iphone to silent. I created a 'test' calendar alarm for 10.15pm with alarm to go off 'At time of event'.

At 10.15pm nothing from apple watch no sound or notification. On iphone no sound but a notification came up on the screen.

So not sure whats different there, but I do appreciate your reply, thanks.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Perhaps the difference is you're using a calendar item alert rather than the actual alarm in the Clock app. Mute is supposed to not silence alarms and timers when the Watch is charging, but maybe it doesn't work for calendar alerts?

23. Recognition macrumors 6502

Recognition

Yea I think you're right, just tried a test calendar alarm and no alarm when the phone is on silent, just a notification on screen. Nothing from the watch when off the wrist.

OP, it would seem you will have to set a clock alarm rather than a calendar alarm when your not wearing the watch and have the phone on silent.
    Seems a bit of an inconvenience when you already have the calendar alarm set, but at least you won't miss important events. :)

24. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

What did you do before the Apple watch came in the market?

Geofence is a bit overkill? How difficult is it to remember to move the mechanical silent switch when you mechanically plugin the watch and phone at night?

25. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

Have you tried Do Not Disturb? You can set it to turn on and off automatically at set times. So if you don't want your phone to make any noise during say 8am and 6pm, you can set it like that. Then just change your Watch's settings so that it doesn't mirror phone's Do Not Disturb if you still want notifications on your wrist during that time.