Lockscreen UI still needs tweaking

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Armen, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Armen, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The slide to unlock mechanism on the lockscreen is too sensitive I think.

Sometimes when I'm trying to pause a music track or press the next track button if I don't touch the screen dead on it goes into a bouncy slide mode as if it thinks I'm trying to unlock the screen.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Update: both of these issues are resolved in Beta 5. The headphone controls and the bouncy lockscreen.

2. MrGimper macrumors 68040

MrGimper

The fact that you can swipe any part of the screen, and you only have to swipe it across about 50%, make it far too sensitive.

3. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

It's worse when trying to use the scrubber on the media controls (which is a nightmare to use anyway!). At least exclude the area where the media controls are.

4. Osullivan1 macrumors 6502

I agree, but this will defo be fixed before the GM. They've changed the lock screen in every beta so far, so they'll probably fine tune it once they've reached their final design.

5. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I wholeheartedly agree, also when trying to skip within the song with the elapsed time bar it is just too clunky and laggy for Apple standards, I'm kind of scared because that bug or performance hasn't been sorted out since beta 1

and the carrier name and status bar look gigantic and olverlap with the arrows it drives me nuts!

6. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Yeah the lock screen's music controls are way too buggy. I often find myself making the screen bounce many times before I actually can skip a song. Scrubbing on the lock screen is awful as well. Also, I wish the default would be switched back to the clock instead of having the music controls as the default when waking up the screen.

7. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

the frustrating part is that the headphone controls are broken as well in beta 4 so you cant even play/pause or skip songs with the mic controls on the headphones either :mad:

8. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Thats a known issue in beta 4.

9. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

I completely agree with you. You shouldn't be able to slide to unlock from the region up top that is used by the music controls.

----------

I know it is. I reported it :p

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I hope you are right, but the original version had so many obvious flaws that I'm not terribly confident. I feel that they tried to reinvent the wheel a bit too much in order to make it as "cool looking" and minimal as possible. But the iOS 6 version still works better and is more intuitive to use, even if it does look old-fashioned now.

I think they should just go back to having a UI element that you drag across. I have no photoshop skills, but it could still be minimal. In place of the > they could add the draggable arrow button back but with appropriate iOS 7 styling. It could be transparent, with only the outline of the button/arrow. If they wanted to ramp up the coolness factor, they could add some sort of fun animation. Perhaps a "ripple" effect that makes the slide to unlock text go away as you drag the arrow over it.

11. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Depends what app you're using. They work for me.

12. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

I'm talking about the native music app and the Apple earpods with the controls on the mic. Try it. it doesn't work

13. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Ok. But like I said, depending on the app they work perfectly.

14. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

I was at the MLS All Star game on Wednesday, missed 4-5 shots I would normally get with the camera lock screen. Instead of the camera app, I got the control center. Very aggravating. :mad:

15. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

I think the camera button should be tapable instead of swipable so CC won't come up unintended.

16. johnseattle macrumors member

The music controls are nearly unusable on the ls. Trying to skip forward and all the screen does is bounce like a partial unlock. :mad:

17. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

I know! :mad:

what makes me even more mad is I can't use headphone controls either. It's irritating me at work when I listen to music the most. I have to stop what I'm doing and pick up my phone, unlock it so I can skip a track :mad:

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Why are you using beta software on your main device? And if you're not, why wouldn't you have your main device with you?

----------

Are you using this on your main device? I could never do that because no way would I deal with bugs on something I use every day.

19. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Yes, I WAS using it on my main device. Well not anymore, I rolled back to 6.1.4 after these stupid little annoyances and the panic plist in my diagnostics logs.

20. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Also, I think they should remove the NC & CC lines so long carrier names don't overlap as well as offering a cleaner look.

21. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I've had that happen too. Maybe they should make it so that if you swipe up where the camera icon is, it always activates the camera, even if you begin your swipe off the screen.

In other words, on the lock screen you could only activate CC by swiping up on the left-most 95% of the screen. Any farther to the right would activate the camera.

22. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

In Lock screen, when playing music the whole screen swipe to unlock should not be enabled from the scrub bar to the volume bar, when done playing music the whole screen gesture will come back to that area.

23. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

You guys can always use the control center in the lockscreen to control the music if you guys are afraid of accidentally swiping to unlock...

24. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

As well as the camera.