logic board troubles....about to cry/hang myself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by herr rogers, Sep 5, 2008.

1. herr rogers macrumors newbie

i came back from class and woke my laptop up from sleep. my left USB port is no longer working, my airport wifi is no longer working, my sound is no longer working (although it is still listed in my system profiler and my airport is not).
    When I play a youtube, it will play for 2 seconds and then stop..... All things point to logic board, right? I'm a poor college student and don't have the money to buy a new logic board for my warranty-less MBP!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Tell me you at least restarted the computer before posting? As sometimes temporary errors can occur when waking from sleep.

TEG

3. herr rogers thread starter macrumors newbie

lol yes of course. several times. i even tried that ctrl, command, p, r, thing.... I was thinking it was of course logic board problems, but the youtube playing problem is kinda a OS problem it seems. but the USB on the left side not working is in no way an OS problem.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You should also try resetting the PMU (I believe it is the COPS method, as I don't think the Intel Machines have a reset button).

The YouTube problem sounds like a RAM or CPU problem. I would try to find an Apple Store and have them look at it, as it may be something serious, or something minor, like a dislodged connector.

TEG

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Same, taking it and see how much it would cost to get it fixed.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Have you tried reinstalling or at least booting off the install CD to see if it is not some major OS bug? Though this is sort of grasping at straws.

Otherwise you may want to try ifixit.com for motherboard pricing. If it is too expensive you could always sell for parts on ebay. That can get you a surprising amount of money. A few years ago I sold an 800mhz Powermac G4 with a bad MB and possibly bad CPU.

That netted me enough to build a Windows Gaming rig. This was a 4 year old powermac that netted enough to build a brand new mid range gaming rig at the time.

I don't know current prices but the dead Macbook Pro (depending on model) may get you close to a new or previous revision Macbook at least.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Turn it off and step away for about 15 minutes. Then try again.

The 2 minute flash youtube garbage may be a flash Issue.

Just don't hang yourself in the privacy of your own home/dorm.

Do it at an apple store.

8. m1stake macrumors 68000

9. herr rogers thread starter macrumors newbie

very good idea about selling it for parts. I have the 17" 2.4ghz mbp with 2gb ram. yes expensive. yes now only about as good as a 10 year old toshiba.

i've tried that. not the hanging. :D
    going to try to wake up and get an appointment for the apple store tomorrow.

10. Catch Them macrumors regular

yeah the flash issue, its widespread, so far hasnt affected many of my OSX installs but my bootcamp XP install. i t just happened about 2 months ago out of nowhere.. yay! great.

try booting from an external installation if possible. it may narrow down to something messed up in the system.

goodluck, post back with any results :cool:

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

12. SphericalPear macrumors member

hi, welcome to macrumors.com. thanks for using macrumors.com, and i hope we can be of help!

however, we advise you to make a visit to your nearest apple store and show them your issue. keep in mind that most users here have little idea about hardware issue and in most cases won't be able to solve your issue. from my experience, it sounds like a problem for applecare.

13. California macrumors 68040

California

What are you talking about... and who are you?

14. avingochea macrumors member

LMAO I thought that post only annoyed me.. guess not ahaha

15. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Yesterday I picked up my MacBook Pro from the Apple store after having the logic board replaced.

After I got back from class, I opened my MBP to wake from sleep and the screen was not turning on. I did a hard reboot and then called Apple Care after no response from the screen. Luckily there was a 2 day turn around for the logic board because they had it in stock at the store. Anyone looking to get a MBP, I highly, highly suggest getting Apple Care. The logic board would have cost me $1,300 to replace without Apple Care.

Everything seems fine. Except, my fans are always going and going loud (6000rpm).

Anyone know what is going on and how to fix this? Thanks!

16. tonie macrumors 6502

dude, your post is annoying as hell.

17. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Haha, can't say I disagree.

Anyway, tell us what they say at the Apple Store when you get back

18. AsianGIRLpure macrumors member

A couple of days ago, i had technician in my school replace the bad GPU which cause no response from screen for $300..... :(
    Someone told me it was a bargain :rolleyes:
    BTW I got the exact MBP as yours

19. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

It's not possible to change the GPU.

20. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

all of those symptoms sound like a bad Left I/O board, if it is a hardware issue. Sound, left USB, and airport all reside on that one board.

take it to the apple store. See if i'm right. :)

does the computer still charge from the magsafe? I assume the backlight is functional, so it seems like the I/O board still retains some functionality. Perhaps some of the cables are damaged. I know there are a few different cables connecting the I/O to the logic board (they are separate), but which carries what i'm not sure. worse comes to worse its a logic board problem.

if the computer was under warranty, i'd order the cables and I/O board first.

Running AHT may diagnose the problem, but its a far cry from the full blown ASD. ;)

what a noob. :rolleyes:

edit: looked at the manual and it looks like the left I/O board flex cable carries USB, airport power/data, and other stuff. Does your sound work with headphones plugged in? does the computer have the startup chime after PRAM reset?

21. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

300? Thats extremely low for a logic board replacement. The logic board itself exceeds the cost of the repair. me thinks theres something fishies going on with your repair. Did they give you the exact list of the part(s) they replaced?

22. pellebee macrumors member

hmm

I don't know, I was having problems with my usb port as well, and the youtube issue, but I think they are unrelated. This youtube thing has started quite recently and I personally think it is an issue with flash as well. But definitely sounds like your other problems are logic board, etc.. I hope you have apple care :)

23. herr rogers thread starter macrumors newbie

I have yet to go to the apple store b/c i can't sign up for a spot that fits in my schedule (any time after 3 pm).

to answer a few questions which were asked:
    -yes the power still works
    -no i don't hear any chimes after resetting the PRAM
    -i don't hear sound even while plugging in headphones

im at college and my mac cd is at home, im trying to figure out a way to get the CD now.

even if something is wrong, I don't have applecare, so it seems like I might have to end up selling for parts anyway :(
    damn you mac and your expensive parts!

24. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if it's just the I/O board, its much cheaper and easier to replace...much cheaper than the Logic board that is. Labor is the thing that may kill.

if they will diagnose it for free and give an estimate let them do it. If not, ask if the Left I/O board could be the issue.

no sound after PRAM indicates a faulty I/O board and/or I/O cable. Logic board is still the worst case scenario.

also you dont have to go to an apple store. there are various apple authorized service centers that often have better hourly rates, and are more knowledgeable than your typical Apple genius.

25. herr rogers thread starter macrumors newbie

such as, where?