Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
you could try your local university, call if they have a apple certified tech dept. I work in my university's tech dept. located in the bookstore. our hourly rate is 70/hr for non-students, 60 for students. we staff apple certified and experienced techs. Depending on when we receive the part needed and what needs to be done our turn around time can be as soon as the same day, or 2 days. within a week at the very latest. This is just to prove small shops can have a faster turn around than the "2 week diagnostic" apple geniuses seem to always say.

There are other small shops. Just look in your phone book and call them up. Do not take it to the large chains like Geek Squad. -_- take it to a well established small shop.

btw, this is the part needed (but this may not be for your specific generation, so don't order it unless it is.). The left i/o board looks like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MACBOOK-PRO-I-O...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

herr rogers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
you could try your local university, call if they have a apple certified tech dept. I work in my university's tech dept. located in the bookstore. our hourly rate is 70/hr for non-students, 60 for students. we staff apple certified and experienced techs. Depending on when we receive the part needed and what needs to be done our turn around time can be as soon as the same day, or 2 days. within a week at the very latest. This is just to prove small shops can have a faster turn around than the "2 week diagnostic" apple geniuses seem to always say.

There are other small shops. Just look in your phone book and call them up. Do not take it to the large chains like Geek Squad. -_- take it to a well established small shop.

btw, this is the part needed (but this may not be for your specific generation, so don't order it unless it is.). The left i/o board looks like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MACBOOK-PRO-I-O...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

thank you very much. I have a 17 inch macbook pro, and I don't think it's that generation either (cause in the pic I only see 1 usb port and my laptop has 2 on the left). I will definately look around though. thanks bud. and yeah, I already knew about geek squad.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
hmm for a 17" i dont know if there is an I/o board..i've only worked on/seen 15" MBPs. We dont get 17"ers much. If you want you can PM me your serial and i can look up the part #.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.