Logic Pro 7.2.3 and Logic Express 7.2.3 Updates

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logic Pro 7.2.3 is now available in Software Update for affected users, and via direct download:

Logic Pro 7.2.3 addresses performance issues when Logic Pro 7 is used on Mac Pro and G5 Quad computers. Logic Pro 7.2.3 is recommended for all Mac Pro and G5 Quad users. An existing Logic Pro 7.2.1 or Logic Pro 7.2.2 installation is required for this update.

Note: Logic Pro 7.2.3 is optimized for PowerPC G4, G5 and Intel based Macs with up to 2 dual-core processors.
Logic Express was updated to version 7.2.3 (download) with the same description.

Yesterday, Apple released updates to some of its other professional applications.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
twoodcc said:
very interesting. glad to see updates though :cool:
Indeed!

And especially so for those that actually have and use the software! ;)

A group of friends of mine sprung the over $1000 to buy this software for their own private studio. I know they were having issues with their main system running it (a Quad G5), so this will be great news to them if it solves them.

I am texting 2 of them now!

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
The issues were that logic 7.2.1 didn't fully support quad processors (ie it would only utilise 2 cores, or 50% of each core meaning half the power overall), and then 7.2.2 came out and supported all four cores on the mac pros straight away - this pissed quad g5 owners off no end!

It's been over a year they haven't been able to utilise the other 2 cores on their machine, but now finally, it's all good. I only have a dual core 2.0 so it doesn't affect me much, but at least it shows apple didn't completely leave quad g5 owners in the lurch, even if it IS a year late and they supported the intels first :eek:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Macrumors said:
Note: Logic Pro 7.2.3 is optimized for PowerPC G4, G5 and Intel based Macs with up to 2 dual-core processors.
So, in what way will it be crippled for those who purchase and install two Clovertown C2Q processors in their MacPros?

Or, is this merely a refusal to admit to 8-way capabilities not officially endorsed, released, and supported by Apple?

Yes, that was a rhethorical question!!

Rocketman

UPOD

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
According to chatter on apple discussions, it DOES enable use of all four CPUs of the PPC Quad.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Rocketman said:
So, in what way will it be crippled for those who purchase and install two Clovertown C2Q processors in their MacPros?
If they were smart, they silently added support for 8 core machines in this update. Otherwise, they'll probably just release a new update when 8 core machines ship.

I would be curious to see someone try running Logic on a hacked octo machine and see where it maxes out.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
If I don't have multiple processors, will I see any benefit? Have a lonely single g4 processor @ 1.33 ghz in my 17" powerBook (3 y/o first week in October) running Logic Express.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
pimentoLoaf said:
If I don't have multiple processors, will I see any benefit? Have a lonely single g4 processor @ 1.33 ghz in my 17" powerBook (3 y/o first week in October) running Logic Express.
Probably not. If you don't have a quad I wouldn't bother.