MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

With little fanfare, the first of Apple's Pro applications that has been converted to a Universal Binary has been released by Apple.

Logic Pro 7.2 offers native Intel performance and can be purchased for $49.00 by owners of Logic Pro 7. 7.2 also offers a number of other new features including support for Apogee Ensemble, Digidesign Pro Tools HD 7 DAE support, Serato Pitch 'n Time support, Garageband 3 compatibility, and more. CreateDigitalMusic.com offers more details.

The full version is available for $999. The intel-native version of Logic was previously demoed by Apple at NAMM on a MacBook Pro. According to the demonstrator, "None of these sessions would even run on a PowerBook."

A full list of Pro App Crossgrades are provided by Apple. Logic 7.2 is the first shipping version and is available this month. The remainder of the Pro apps will be shipping in March, but will be sold together in the Final Cut Studio Bundle.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
And so it begins. I'd like to see a trickle turn into a torrential downpour by May or June as everyone begins releasing universal binaries.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
It's not yet available in the UK Store - it will be available by the 'end of February' apparently.

Also, I have no intention of upgrading to Intel in the near future, but would like access to the other improvements that this upgrade offers. I'll probably end up paying, but it would have been nice to see these in PPC only upgrade (i.e. no universal binary) for less money, or even for free.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Anyone know when they are going to get round to porting Final Cut Express, since I can't see it mentioned on Apple's site (although they have Logic Express).

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
hvfsl said:
Anyone know when they are going to get round to porting Final Cut Express, since I can't see it mentioned on Apple's site (although they have Logic Express).

There is a note on the Final Cut Express page itself that says:

The next feature release of Final Cut Express will be a Universal application, which will run on both PowerPC- and Intel-based Mac computers.

I.e. if you want a Universal Build you will have to pay the normal $99 upgrade fee to the next version.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
robbieduncan said:
There is a note on the Final Cut Express page itself that says:

The next feature release of Final Cut Express will be a Universal application, which will run on both PowerPC- and Intel-based Mac computers.

I.e. if you want a Universal Build you will have to pay the normal $99 upgrade fee to the next version.

Thanks for the info.

It looks like I am going to have to spend around £200 on software upgrades when I get my Intel Mac then (for Adobe CS 3 Premium upgrade and Final Cut Express 4 upgrade).

MaCaDDiCT21

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2004
Chandler, AZ
why would they charge 49.99 for it? If theyve already payed $1,000, I dont think they should have to pay any more to have it run nativley on the intel machines. ALso, I think they are doing this backward. They should make the pro-software binarys last, or towards the launch of the intel (power?)mac....

testMonkey

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2006
Southern Utah
Universals versus updates

Maybe this is a bit off topic, but April and NAB are just around the corner. Traditionally, Apple releases updates to their Pro apps at NAB. Wouldn't it be worth waiting the extra month to see if that $50 should be put towards the next version, which surely will be Universal from the ground up?

Just a thought.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
MaCaDDiCT21 said:
why would they charge 49.99 for it? If theyve already payed $1,000, I dont think they should have to pay any more to have it run nativley on the intel machines. ALso, I think they are doing this backward. They should make the pro-software binarys last, or towards the launch of the intel (power?)mac....

Well, in the case of Logic it looks like there are some added features as well so just look at it like and small paid upgrade instead of a crossgrade. :p

newwavedave

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2004
Tampa, FL
testMonkey said:
Maybe this is a bit off topic, but April and NAB are just around the corner. Traditionally, Apple releases updates to their Pro apps at NAB. Wouldn't it be worth waiting the extra month to see if that $50 should be put towards the next version, which surely will be Universal from the ground up?

Just a thought.

I was thinking the exact same thing. And I don't think this is off topic at all. The original post includes the link to the Pro Apps page. I for one will be waiting until April before I order a new Intel Mac or a Pro App.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
testMonkey said:

Just a thought.

Next version? This IS the next version of Logic. It just so happens to make your software a universal binary.

And don't just think about the update. If you buy the full version of Logic 7.2, you'll be getting the universal binary, and it'll probably be from "the ground up."

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
good news. glad to see the pro apps are starting to be universalized, hopefully they can all be upgrades/crossgraded before the Towers go Intel

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
MaCaDDiCT21 said:

The pro software binarys ARE going universal last, ilife is already universal. Remember there is already a Pro notebook!

200paul

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Not so fast.......

" We appreciate your recent purchase through the online Apple Store.

The following is an update regarding the status of your order
W1XXXXXXX.

Due to an unexpected delay, we were unable to ship your product(s) by
the date originally quoted to you. We now anticipate shipping the
following item(s) as follows:

MA336ZM/A, LOGIC PRO 7.2 CROSSGRADE-ZML
will now ship by Feb 13, 2006
and deliver by Feb 21, 2006

We regret any inconvenience this delay may cause. "

Apple has this thing lately: Announce the product and a ship date. Miss the ship date and provide another but don't update the shipping status until the second you miss the ship date even though you must know it will not make it.

I want to order a MacBook but I don't want them to hold on to my money until April when they will really ship.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
This is great news. I don't use any of Apple's Pro apps, but we're beginning to see the light at the end of the Universal Binary Tunnel. :p

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
At least for your $49 you're getting some new features too. A mini-upgrade, smaller (but also cheaper) than a normal app upgrade cycle. Many people who don't even HAVE an Intel Mac will still want this version. FREE (like Aperture, since it's so new) would have been nicer of course :)

But the FC Studio bundle deals are looking great to me! For $199 I can upgrade FC 4.5 to 5, and Soundtrack to Soundtrack Pro... and for free they'll throw in the latest DVD Studio and Motion 2! And they'll run great on my PPC Macs AND future Intel Macs.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
robbieduncan said:

How do you know the next feature release of FCX will cost $99? The next feature release of Logic only cost $49, and that's a more expensive app. The $99 currently shown if for people who don't EVEN have the latest FCX HD. People who still have the old FCX 1 or 2. I'd only expect Apple to charge EVERYONE $99 is it's a really big upgrade with a LOT of new features.

When was FCX last updated? Is it in synch with FCP 5, or older and due for a big jump?

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
universal pro apps

im glad to see the first of the pro apps finally going universal. Its been a wait, hopefully its not very long between releases.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
nice to see, for sure, but I still don't like Apple's policy of charging money for minor releases and these "crossgrades" of software you already own. it would be a nice gesture to include installers that support Intel (think StarCraft carbonizer) with all new Intel Macs until the release of FCS 6.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
nagromme said:
How do you know the next feature release of FCX will cost $99? The next feature release of Logic only cost $49, and that's a more expensive app. The $99 currently shown if for people who don't EVEN have the latest FCX HD. People who still have the old FCX 1 or 2. I'd only expect Apple to charge EVERYONE $99 is it's a really big upgrade with a LOT of new features.

When was FCX last updated? Is it in synch with FCP 5, or older and due for a big jump?

I don't know that it will cost $99 to upgrade. It gets one release a year and we are due one around then next 3 months. All previous upgrades have cost $99 so I would expect this one to. They tend to pack quite a lot into each release.

interestedabit

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2006
ok first post and so this might be deemed as trolling - but this paid upgrade doesn't seem to address any bugs - for example, many users are having the well documented, yet not addressed, audio dropout issue which makes Logic unusable (but was ok pre 7.1 or even 7.0 in some cases ) so I think it's slightly shambolic to have to pay for this. There are many other bugs present which you can see from audio forums. I have no evidence that there are no bug fixes in this release, but this seems ridiculous, I know many people that are using pre Logic7 builds just so they can use the application despite having paid for up to date version.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
robbieduncan said:
It gets one release a year and we are due one around then next 3 months. All previous upgrades have cost $99 so I would expect this one to. They tend to pack quite a lot into each release.
I see--makes sense. $99 would be harsh if it wasn't what the annual upgrade cycle usually is.

interestedabit said:
ok first post and so this might be deemed as trolling - but this paid upgrade doesn't seem to address any bugs
Welcome! I don't see any reason to assume Apple added features, ported to Intel, yet fixed zero bugs. I wouldn't get upset without knowing that answer first.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
MaCaDDiCT21 said:
They should make the pro-software binarys last, or towards the launch of the intel (power?)mac....

The apps are all created by different teams. If one team gets the job done, why artificially delay the release? I'm glad apple is just shipping as quick as they can, although it would be nice if this update was free.

interestedabit said:
ok first post and so this might be deemed as trolling - but this paid upgrade doesn't seem to address any bugs

As you say, you have no info on what bugs are fixed. Just because apple hasn't released a bugfix list doesn't mean there are no bugfixes. Hopefully we'll see a list after the software is actually released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.