Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
interestedabit said:
ok first post and so this might be deemed as trolling - but this paid upgrade doesn't seem to address any bugs
It doesn't look trolly, but it really is too early to draw conclusions. Apple advertising usually doesn't include things like "hey, we fixed bugs!" There may be a vague mention in the release notes, or problems may silently disappear, but no one will know until the stuff ships.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Kernow said:
Also, I have no intention of upgrading to Intel in the near future, but would like access to the other improvements that this upgrade offers. I'll probably end up paying, but it would have been nice to see these in PPC only upgrade (i.e. no universal binary) for less money, or even for free.

Right so when you eventually upgrade to Intel, which you will at some point I'd imagine, then your version of Logic will work on your new Intel machine, as well as your old PPC Mac. Universal meaning that it works on both platforms :)

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
200paul said:
" We appreciate your recent purchase through the online Apple Store.

The following is an update regarding the status of your order
W1XXXXXXX.

Due to an unexpected delay, we were unable to ship your product(s) by
the date originally quoted to you. We now anticipate shipping the
following item(s) as follows:

MA336ZM/A, LOGIC PRO 7.2 CROSSGRADE-ZML
will now ship by Feb 13, 2006
and deliver by Feb 21, 2006

We regret any inconvenience this delay may cause. "

Apple has this thing lately: Announce the product and a ship date. Miss the ship date and provide another but don't update the shipping status until the second you miss the ship date even though you must know it will not make it.

I want to order a MacBook but I don't want them to hold on to my money until April when they will really ship.

I agree. I was a little miffed when I placed my order for a 12" PBG4 right after the MacBookPro was released. I was hoping for a 13" portable; 15" is larger than I want to deal with. It was suppposed to ship within 24 hours. 3 days later, I got an email saying that it would ship within 24 hours. 3 days after that I got an email saying that they missed the shipping time and it would ship within 3 days. 4 days later, it shipped.

I figured they would be busy right after MWSF, but I also thought that the info they gave me would be accurate. :(

Back to topic.

infomatique

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2006
You should check again.

I ordered yesterday from the Irish store (49 Euro) which is really the same but prices are in Euro rather than £ Sterling

Kernow said:
It's not yet available in the UK Store - it will be available by the 'end of February' apparently.

Also, I have no intention of upgrading to Intel in the near future, but would like access to the other improvements that this upgrade offers. I'll probably end up paying, but it would have been nice to see these in PPC only upgrade (i.e. no universal binary) for less money, or even for free.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
MaCaDDiCT21 said:
why would they charge 49.99 for it? If theyve already payed $1,000, I dont think they should have to pay any more to have it run nativley on the intel machines.

Agree 100%. I can understand a small "media/handling" fee of $20 or so, but $50 is crazy. I remember when Apple stopped making OS 9 bootable machines they would send out an OS X bootable version of FCP 3 on request to FCP 3 owners. It seems to me Apple should do the same for those loyal and brave enough to be the first to buy one of their Intel machines.

Moreover, as others have said FCP6 is probably going to be announced in April, so this universal build of FCP5 is going to be worthwhile for what, all of 4 months maybe (assuming they ship in mid-summer).

I'm disappointed in Apple on this one. $50 is a lot for nothing.

starglider

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2006
Includes Academic Versions

For Final Cut Pro 4 (4.5) users and Production Suite owners this is actually a pretty good deal. The previous upgrade price from PS to Final Cut Studio was $499, and on this program it's only $199.

Better, this includes academic versions (says so in the small print), which weren't previously eligible for upgrades at all. So if (like me) you've been stewing on your copy of Production Suite unhappy about springing for Final Cut Studio, now's the time...

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
abrooks said:
Right so when you eventually upgrade to Intel, which you will at some point I'd imagine, then your version of Logic will work on your new Intel machine, as well as your old PPC Mac. Universal meaning that it works on both platforms :)

Oh no - I understand that, and I don't really have a problem in paying the £35, but as I'm not going to be upgrading to Intel for at least a year or two, there could be a whole new version of Logic out by then, so I could be paying money for functionality that I'll never use.

Having said that, when the new Intel PowerMacs are announced (or whatever the accepted terminology is), I could get a huge case of processor envy and 'accidently' buy one. :D

matthiasgoodman

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
Chandler, AZ
200paul said:
" We appreciate your recent purchase through the online Apple Store.

The following is an update regarding the status of your order
W1XXXXXXX.

Due to an unexpected delay, we were unable to ship your product(s) by
the date originally quoted to you. We now anticipate shipping the
following item(s) as follows:

MA336ZM/A, LOGIC PRO 7.2 CROSSGRADE-ZML
will now ship by Feb 13, 2006
and deliver by Feb 21, 2006

We regret any inconvenience this delay may cause. "

Apple has this thing lately: Announce the product and a ship date. Miss the ship date and provide another but don't update the shipping status until the second you miss the ship date even though you must know it will not make it.

I want to order a MacBook but I don't want them to hold on to my money until April when they will really ship.

They don't charge your credit card until it ships anyway, so they aren't holding your money. I agree with you on there policy of not notifying you of the delay until the last minute. I ordred two iMac 20" Duo Cores the minute the store was updated after the key note. They were delayed twice. It endud up being quicker to wait until they showed up in stores and cancel my web order.

lukelukeluke

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2004
Logic Pro universal now REALLY shipping

Just got a message from the Apple store that they just shipped me the Logic Pro universal crossgrade, despite it being "in stock" a week ago.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
i got my 7.2 upgrade last thursday, even though they said it wouldn't ship until the 13th. underpromised and overdelivered!

that $50 includes a rather large loops library, incidentally, along with all the rest of it. had it not been for that, i'd have skipped this one for sure and paid $30 less for one of the remaining 7.1 upgrade discs they're probably sitting on up in cupertino... for us g5 people, there's not a whole lot new in 7.2 to justify the extra $30 if you ask me.

registered

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
anyone get their copy yet? i'm interesting in some logic 7.2 benchmarks. i JUST ordered logic express 7.2 for my macbook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.