Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logic Pro X for Mac today received its most significant update in the last year and a half, adding a slew of new features to the pro-oriented audio software produced by Apple.

Version 10.1 of the software, which is available for free for existing users, introduces new drummer profiles and more tools to make music creation a simpler task, plus it adds in new sounds with a focus on electronic and hip hop music.

There are 10 new drummer profiles to use in the new version of Logic Pro X, which can be used to produce beats in styles like Techno, House, Trap, and Dubstep, and there's also a new drum machine plug-in for tweaking drum sounds and making mixes. Each drummer has eight preset patterns, but they can be customized and users can create their own patterns as well.

logicproxupdate-800x416.jpg
Logic Pro X screenshot courtesy of CNET
The update introduces 200 synth patches and 10 new Mellotron instruments, and features like the piano roll editor have been improved. The Compressor plug-in now has a Retina-ready interface, and there's a plug-in manager to keep frequently-used plug-ins at hand and organized.

An expanded Logic Remote toolset offers a new plug-in view for use with the iPad, with multi-touch gestures able to manipulate tracks using the Visual Equalizer.

A full list of changes is below:
- 10 new Drummers that produce beats in a variety of electronic and hip hop styles including Techno, House, Trap, Dubstep and more
- Drummer provides specialized sound and performance controls for dialing in electronic or hip hop drum grooves
- New Drum Machine Designer plug-in offers new sounds and features for customizing electronic drum kits in a variety of styles
- Create a sequence of notes with a single mouse gesture using the new Brush Tool in the Piano Roll Editor
- New view options in the Piano Roll Editor let you see more notes in less vertical space and help identify drum sounds by name
- Easily compress or expand the timing of selected notes with new time handles in the Piano Roll Editor
- Note Repeat and Spot Erase modes allow classic drum machine style techniques for creating beats in realtime
- Smart Quantize proportionally corrects the timing and length of notes to preserve the musicality of your original performance
- Redesigned Compressor plug-in features scalable, Retina-ready interface and 7 models including the new Classic VCA
- Retro Synth can now create wavetables from imported audio and is able to stack up to 8 voices
- Expanded sound library includes over 200 new synth patches and 10 classic Mellotron instruments
- Automation can now be part of a region, not just the track, which makes it easier to use effects creatively
- Manage large-scale mixes more easily with the addition of console-style VCA faders
- Relative and Trim Automation modes extend the options for fine-tuning existing automation
- Mixer now allows remote control of microphone and other input settings for compatible audio interfaces
- Realtime rendering of fades allow them to work with Flex Pitch and speeds up project load times
- The Plug-in Manager now allows you to customize the organization of your menu
- Support for Mail Drop and Air Drop in OS X Yosemite makes it even easier to share your Logic projects
More in-depth reviews on the new features in Logic Pro X can be found over at Macworld and CNET, sites that got a hands-on look at the update ahead of its release.

Logic Pro X can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $199.99. [Direct Link]

MainStage 3 for Mac has been updated with minor bug fixes. [Direct Link]

Logic Remote for iOS has been updated new features that integrate with Logic Pro X, including a new plug-in view, multi-touch gestures for manipulating track tone with Visual EQ, remote plug-in controls, and more. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Logic Pro X for Mac Gets Major Update With New Drummers, Tools for Electronic/Hip Hop Music Creation

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
It doesn't seem to be populating everywhere yet. I'm still showing 10.0.7 on the App Store with no updates showing up.

AnsonX10

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
4/20
I could have sworn I just saw the 10.1 update in the MAS. Now it's back 10 10.0.7.

I'm pretty (extremely) sure I read the change notes in the MAS, not just this article.

EDIT: Now it's back to 10.1. No idea. A strange cacheing bug maybe?

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Logic Pro X for Mac today received its most significant update in the last year and a half, adding a slew of new features to the pro-oriented audio software produced by Apple.

Version 10.1 of the software, which is available for free for existing users, introduces new drummer profiles and more tools to make music creation a simpler task, plus it adds in new sounds with a focus on electronic and hip hop music.
Article Link: Logic Pro X for Mac Gets Major Update With New Drummers, Tools for Electronic/Hip Hop Music Creation

Meh. Still see no reason to upgrade. How about updating the audio editing tools? Tighten the integration with FCPX. Lossy editing in 2015?! I'll pass again.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I could have sworn I just saw the 10.1 update in the MAS. Now it's back 10 10.0.7.

I'm pretty (extremely) sure I read the change notes in the MAS, not just this article.

EDIT: Now it's back to 10.1. No idea. A strange cacheing bug maybe?

It's now showing 10.1 on the app page and showing "Update" there for me, but nothing is showing up under updates and it won't update if I click it. I'm sure it'll be an issue that resolves itself in the very near future though. Can't wait to try it and hopefully they'll have knocked out a few odd midi bugs I've been dealing with as well.

Last edited:

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
nice - i dropped protools a while back when they were lagging updating their software to Mavericks. haven't looked back since. logic is unbelievable for the price. for my purposes, anyway.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Yukky screenshot. I still think Logic Pro is the best advertisement for the 5k retina imac. Looking forward to the upgrade, not showing up here yet...

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
nice - i dropped protools a while back when they were lagging updating their software to Mavericks. haven't looked back since. logic is unbelievable for the price. for my purposes, anyway.

Yeah Logic is highly underrated. It's really competitive for the price and the fact you don't have to use an iLok does it for me.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Any particular features that would make switching from Ableton worth it?

No, no, no - apart from sculpture - Ableton Live (with M4L!) is good and needed on it's own. It can do stuff LPX can't and vice versa. I prefer both in my toolbox. :cool:

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Yeah Logic is highly underrated. It's really competitive for the price and the fact you don't have to use an iLok does it for me.

most 'problems' people have with it are usually not reading the Logic manual. most protools features are well represented in slightly different ways.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's somewhat odd that they haven't updated the UI of this to a "flat aesthetic"

That would be a mistake. While I understand why they are trying to go flat everywhere, it also has a downside... making the UI harder to decipher. Buttons should look like pushable buttons!

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
No, no, no - apart from sculpture - Ableton Live (with M4L!) is good and needed on it's own. It can do stuff LPX can't and vice versa. I prefer both in my toolbox. :cool:

How long would it take to be comfortable using both? I know it depends upon the person, but would 6 months, with 5-6 hours a week put in be enough?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.