Logic X on 12" rMB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DustinGinn, Mar 9, 2015.

1. DustinGinn, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

DustinGinn macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm a working musician and am frequently traveling and so portability is a big deal to me...however...so is power because I need to use heavy music apps like Logic, Reason, Ableton, etc. Also, I'm currently running a 2009 MBP and REALLY would like to move to a retina screen. Do you guys think the new 12" rMB will run those apps well? Or will I need to the power of the 13" rMBP?

Thanks for your thoughts/opinions!

2. ygys macrumors member

go for the rMBP

I think that the new retina macbook is more netbook than anything else ;)

3. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I somehow doubt a CoreM will be able to run anything "heavy". For the same price you can get a better bang for your buck with the rMBP and know for sure that it is completely capable of running what you require. It also has a retina display.

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

my concern is the processor, and the ports (or lack thereof). i'd need a usb hub, going into the usb-c dongle (ie for a keyboard, and an audio interface). and not sure that processor would do it. am running an i5 now, and it's a struggle. i thing the 13" rmbp (the new one) is the way to go. an i7, 16GB ram...and actual ports.

too bad tho, this thing looks beautiful...

5. aquilc macrumors member

I doubt that the new Intel Core M Chips can run heave apps like Logic X and Photoshop.

These chips were designed for more portability and less power consumption.

Although it might handle large files (including loading apps) with ease due to the fact that the 12" rmB will have an SSD and 8GB RAM, it might suffer from processing performance, because of the Core M limitations.

6. aquilc macrumors member

I think this was Apple's current answer to Microsoft's Surface (We have to see what Apple will offer with the rumoured iPad Pro). Although it doesn't include a touchscreen and a detachable keyboard, it has a high resolution screen on a very portable laptop.

A Surface tablet has an ARM CPU meanwhile a Surface Pro has a Core i5, I'm pretty sure that Apple will optimise MAC OS X for a Core M Chip (even though Yosemite has some performance issues.)

A Surface Pro can run all the applications of Windows 8, whilst a Surface can only run a limited number of applications written for the ARM architecture.

The 12" rMB can run all the MAC OS X applications (with its performance limitations).

I think the 12" rMB will be a hit with people always on the go, and do not need a lot of processing power.

----------

If you want processing power, consider a 15" Macbook Pro with Retina Display. The 2014 Model has a Quad-core i7, 16GB and a 512 SSD (Base model). There are also models with an nVidia GPU (ideal if you run Graphics demanding apps like photoshop). Although the 13" rMBP will handle high processing apps like Logic X with moderate ease, a 15" rMBP will run such apps with much more ease, due to the processing power of a Quad-core i7.

I personally own the 15" rMBP and I don't find it too much of a burden to carry it around with me.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Strongest MBP you can afford, the 12" is an ultraportable with weak processor.

Q-6

8. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

but, on the subway? here, a 13" is ideal (altho the air and the new macbook are really appealing...in that respect, anyway).

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You should seriously consider a 15" with a quad core i7 instead.

10. DustinGinn thread starter macrumors newbie

It sounds like the rMBP will obviously run Logic X better but do you think the new rMB will be able to run it fine? Or is it just out of the question? I'd have a hard time thinking that Apple would make a product that can't even handle all of their apps but I could be wrong.

11. DustinGinn thread starter macrumors newbie

It sounds like a rMBP will run Logic X better but do you think the new rMB will be able to run Logic X well at all? I'd really like the portability of the new form factor if possible. I'd have a hard time imagining Apple would manufacture a computer that can't even run all their apps but I could be wrong.

12. aquilc macrumors member

As you said in your previous post, you are struggling with an i5 when it comes to high processing demands which applications like Logic X require. Although the new 5th gen i5 which is being shipped in the new MacBooks, delivers more processing power than the previous generation and the Core M which is powering the new 12" rMB, I do not think that it will surpass an i7.

If he can sacrifice some processing power for the advantage of more portability he can chose a 13" Macbook as this model offers the portability along with some good processing power.

13. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

You should seriously consider how you would connect an audio interface to it, since it only has one port.

14. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

Yes it will run it but will feel like your using a 2010-2011 macbook speed wise

15. DustinGinn thread starter macrumors newbie

I've taken into account that dongles will be required should I go the 12" route.

16. DustinGinn thread starter macrumors newbie

So you think the 12" is just out of the question? Or just a little slower? I won't go 15"...I can't afford it and I don't feel the need to have that big of a screen or THAT much power. If I can run Logic X now on my 2009 15" MBP then the 13" rMBP will still be a huge jump. I just want to make sure I'm going to still experience a jump if I were to pull the trigger on the 12". Thoughts?

17. aquilc, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

aquilc macrumors member

I think it is out of the question, I may be underestimating the new Core M chips, but I am pretty confident that it won't be able to handle high processing tasks. It may handle some basic tasks from Logic X with ease or little struggle, but it won't be able to handle advanced tasks.

With your argument that Apple would not release a hardware product which couldn't handle all of their apps (software products) (which makes sense from a point of view), they wouldn't release a Mac Pro for advanced video editing on Final Cut Pro X, if an iMAC or a macMini could handle the video processing power that a MacPro can deliver.

----------

First wait for expert reviews of the new 12" rMB and see what kind of processing power it can handle. Who knows maybe Apple optimises or do minor tweaks to MAC OS X to win some power back for the new 12" rMB?

But everyone should keep 2 things in mind about the new 12" rMB:
    1. It doesn't come with a fan, so they need to limit the CPUs full potential power, to avoid overheating issues.
    2. The Screen is a retina display, which is integrated with the CPU, which also limits the processing power, especially since the GPU needs to deliver a high resolution display output. If strain is put on the GPU, the overheating issue will get bigger.

A 13" rMBP (which comes with a Core i5) is surely a good upgrade from the 2009 MBP (Core 2 Duo).

18. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I'd worry

about wether you can charge it and use dongles at the same time as the USB C is also the charging port.....

I'd also take a look at the less than impressive performance of the Core M processors and the lack of any cooling means it may well throttle right back with any extended or heavy use.

I really like the look of this laptop but it really is at the stage of the original macbook air in this iteration.

For your use I'd recommend a pro it is a fair bit heavier but the performance boost and connectivity is certainly worth it new processors and force touch not bad either

19. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

altho i am doubtful this can handle logic X, i'll wait for the reviews. and, assuming LX is installed on the new macbook, will play with it a bit at the apple store, see how it feels.

am not in a rush, but was planning a new 13" rmbp...which, considering it's own updates, i may do anyway.

still, i want to see this one...

20. DustinGinn thread starter macrumors newbie

Man, it just doesn't make sense to get the new Macbook. Decision made: rMBP 13" it is.

21. DustinGinn thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I haven't heard a single person say that it'd be a good idea to get the new rMB. Decision is made: 13" rMBP.

22. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

LX needs more power, just the way it is. so, my plan is to get the new 13" rmbp, and have my GF get the new macbook (so i can at least play with it...) :cool:

23. DustinGinn thread starter macrumors newbie

There you go. In a couple years I'll buy one of the cool ones for my wife so I can do the same :cool:

24. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

I can't add much, but I just wanted to say that I have a hard enough time getting Ableton Live 9 to run well on my 15", 2011 MBP. Though mine's a bit older and not running a SSD, I can't imagine that a relatively underpowered Macbook would make the experience a pleasant one.

Not the mention the screen size! Portability is really nice, but wow, I couldn't imagine trying to produce on something that small all of the time...

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member