Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logitech today announced that existing Circle 2 Home Security Cameras are being updated with HomeKit Secure Video support.

HomeKit Secure Video is designed to offer up a more secure way to manage the footage captured by in-home security cameras.

homekitsecurevideo-800x358.jpg

The Logitech Circle 2 camera will leverage the iPad, Apple TV, or HomePod (whichever is set up as a Home Hub) to analyze video on your devices. Video feeds are encrypted end-to-end and uploaded to iCloud where you and you alone can see the footage.

HomeKit Secure Video will send notifications if activity is detected so recordings can be reviewed, and Apple is providing 10 days of iCloud storage for video content that does not count against data plan limits.

Using Apple's HomeKit Secure Video does, however, require a higher-end iCloud storage plan with either 200GB or 2TB of storage. A single camera can be connected with the 200GB plan, while up to five cameras can use HomeKit Secure Video with the 2TB plan.

In the United States, 200GB of storage is priced at $2.99 per month, while 2TB of storage is priced at $9.99 per month.

When HomeKit Secure Video was announced, Apple said that Logitech, Eufy, and Netatmo would be among the first companies to support it. Official support for HomeKit Secure Video came in iOS 13.2, which means companies can now begin rolling out the feature.

HomeKit Secure Video for the Logitech Circle 2 camera requires a beta firmware update that Logitech is rolling out today.

Article Link: Logitech Circle 2 Camera Gains Support for HomeKit Secure Video

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Why does Apple feel my security videos warrant end-to-end encryptions but my iCloud backups do not?

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England

the instructions.
Need to wait for an app update before a “convert to HomeKit secure” button appears in the integration section.
Also I’ve learnt from Reddit that once you go through with this, it’s completely disconnected from the Logitech cloud, which is what Alexa and Google Home skills rely on. So if you use a hub or echo show, you will no longer be able to view it. It’s all in with HomeKit.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightTheFuture

JWD

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
Excellent! Although it has poor night vision, especially for outdoor use, this is my preferred camera to date. I have a couple of them.

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Seems like a lot of reviews complain about Wi-Fi connectivity. Anybody experience this problem? Wondering if going all through HomeKit secure video if reliability is improved because it stopped using the circle app.

also it would be great if somebody did a review showing off the new features.

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Reactions: btrach144

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
The best and safest is for people to run their own cloud server from home and store everything themselves for better privacy. No need today to pay others and store with others when one can store by themselves

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
The best and safest is for people to run their own cloud server from home and store everything themselves for better privacy. No need today to pay others and store with others when one can store by themselves
Secure, offsite storage is it’s own feature. Theft from, damage to, or destruct of my house could potentially reduce the viability of that home based solution you mention.

Reactions: btrach144

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Seems like a lot of reviews complain about Wi-Fi connectivity. Anybody experience this problem? Wondering if going all through HomeKit secure video if reliability is improved because it stopped using the circle app.

also it would be great if somebody did a review showing off the new features.
I have it on 5ghz and have never had an issue. I’d imagine the people complaining are on 2.4 and there’s not enough bandwidth.
[automerge]1573768106[/automerge]

the instructions.
Need to wait for an app update before a “convert to HomeKit secure” button appears in the integration section.
Also I’ve learnt from Reddit that once you go through with this, it’s completely disconnected from the Logitech cloud, which is what Alexa and Google Home skills rely on. So if you use a hub or echo show, you will no longer be able to view it. It’s all in with HomeKit.
I’m actually glad it disconnects from Logitech - I was worried they would still upload everything to them in addition to HomeKit. Good on them.

Still waiting on the App Store update tho.

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin

Until the thief that breaks into your house and steals your cloud server and you have no video of it. I would give up a little privacy for on off-site solution.
[automerge]1573769903[/automerge]
I hope Eufy security cam also have and update in the way ...

One should never buy something on the hopes that they will release what they say they will. Only give companies money when they are actually selling what they promised to. This

Also, don't hold your breath waiting.

Reactions: MLVC and btrach144

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Just appeared for me in the UK.

App update is showing for me. Just installing now

Be interesting to hear how you get on. I imagine you lose the ability to set ‘Motion Zones’ once you enable HomeKit Secure Video? Any updates appreciated.

Reactions: anticipate

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
So once I’ve installed, it makes it very clear you have to choose either Circle online services or iCloud / homekit.

I opted for homekit (what the hell) and I’m now wondering how the hell homekit secure video actually works.

- there seems to be no way to view older recordings
- there appears to be no way to adjust camera settings (such as field of view)
- it is all very opaque and there seems to be precious little in the way of instructions or guides

The interface shown on a few screen shots online seems to show a much more sophisticated interface than that which I’m getting.

I’m kind of feeling / wondering whether this initial implementation is very basic indeed or if I need to do something like remove and re-add to my home app?

Reactions: Keane16

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Thanks for the update.

You definitely lose your history, I got the attached warning.

It certainly feels very Beta.

Also saw this on Twitter:

It seemed clear at the start but later on there was a message about whether I wanted to remove the camera from the circle app or not. It then said that if I did that it would cancel the subscription and I’d lose any saved video.

At this point, there seems to be no way to access historic video stored on iCloud so I guess I have lost my history and no current hope of gaining anything new of use.

EDIT: having dug around in the settings (thanks for the screen shot above) it is possible to set it to record but you have to be very explicit about it. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Keane16
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.