Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
First of all just wanted to say that I do not play games, but needed a precise mouse. I figured for $50, I'd rather just get this instead of a Mighty Mouse (Wired). I want a wired mouse, I have 3 bluetooth mice (Logitech, Razer, Microsoft) and they're all terrible. I have tried the Magic Mouse but to no avail. I also have a Wacom Tablet for more precise work.

Well today I bought this mouse, which is touted for gamers (for it's precision) and only support for Windows.

I plugged it in and loved the precision. However, the buttons don't work.

SteerMouse seemed like an option but everytime I installed it, it gave me issues, even if I tried to fine tune it. I removed SteerMouse and am on the default settings.

Is it possible to program the mouse's buttons without SteerMouse/USB Overdrive, etc?

By the way, the mouse is really ugly, but I don't use it in public :D

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I beta tested the G500. it is hideous. that was a topic of discussion on the beta forums. the weights are nice though.

chaseychasem

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
SteerMouse seemed like an option but everytime I installed it, it gave me issues, even if I tried to fine tune it. I removed SteerMouse and am on the default settings.

What sort of issues? Everyone seems to sing the praises of SteerMouse, often with specific reference to Logitech devices. I'm curious to know, though, as I'd planned to pair the two in the near future.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I beta tested the G500. it is hideous. that was a topic of discussion on the beta forums. the weights are nice though.

Indeed! Then again, it's geared towards gamers (hence no Mac support?) and they usually don't have good taste :D (fancy blue LED's etc.)

It is VERY accurate, though. Much more accurate than other corded mice. I haven't put on the weights, kind of like that it's light weight.

Did Logitech ever care about getting Mac drivers for their G series mice?

What sort of issues? Everyone seems to sing the praises of SteerMouse, often with specific reference to Logitech devices. I'm curious to know, though, as I'd planned to pair the two in the near future.

I hate SteerMouse and USB Overdrive. Just spent 6 hours trying to make both of them work. Must have uninstalled/installed them about 10 times already. They seem to screw up the pointer speed (and scroll speed), even if I try to customize it. I found the best setting is to remove any mouse software and just use the default speed.

However, in this case, I lose all the keys except (mission control) which is mapped to the "back" button on the side.

Since the mouse has internal memory, you can connect it to Windows and change things to a certain degree...however, since Windows doesn't have a CMD button, I couldn't assign CMD+[ and ] as back/forward buttons. Anything else, you can.

Besides it being ugly, it is very comfortable and the grip is nice. The stupid DPI light is always on, which is also annoying.

I am debating if I should just return it and opt for a Mighty Mouse (Wired). Apple still sells them. I used to use it and it was ok, better than nothing, but I figured if it's $50 I'd rather get a newer generation mouse with a new generation laser.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
It is VERY accurate, though. Much more accurate than other corded mice. I haven't put on the weights, kind of like that it's light weight.

Did Logitech ever care about getting Mac drivers for their G series.
no Mac drivers I am aware of. I liked he weights especially when working in photoshop. Making it heavier, and the dpi button made it very precise. Eventually I will get around to tying out apples latest Bluetooth mouse.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
no Mac drivers I am aware of. I liked he weights especially when working in photoshop. Making it heavier, and the dpi button made it very precise. Eventually I will get around to tying out apples latest Bluetooth mouse.

I'm a heavy photoshop user and use a Wacom tablet, but when I set type in InDesign, I found that the Magic Mouse and any other Apple mouse is just bad for that too.

I wouldn't get the Magic Mouse. The lack of a tactile left/right click is obtrusive. Bluetooth and Wireless mice in general lack the precision that USB can deliver. And I don't know of any BT mouse that uses BT 4.0, so I'm sure it will get better overtime.

The Apple BT keyboard is great, though. So is the Magic Trackpad, but that's only good for browsing.

I'm probably going to return the G500, but for $50, don't see why I can't keep it and sell later if Apple decides to make a new and more precise wired mouse.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I'm a heavy photoshop user and use a Wacom tablet, but when I set type in InDesign, I found that the Magic Mouse and any other Apple mouse is just bad for that too.

I wouldn't get the Magic Mouse. The lack of a tactile left/right click is obtrusive. Bluetooth and Wireless mice in general lack the precision that USB can deliver. And I don't know of any BT mouse that uses BT 4.0, so I'm sure it will get better overtime.

The Apple BT keyboard is great, though. So is the Magic Trackpad, but that's only good for browsing.

I'm probably going to return the G500, but for $50, don't see why I can't keep it and sell later if Apple decides to make a new and more precise wired mouse.

I remember the g500 working just fine on my G5, I don't remember trying it on my MBP though. I always wanted to try the bamboo pad, but ever ended up getting one.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I remember the g500 working just fine on my G5, I don't remember trying it on my MBP though. I always wanted to try the bamboo pad, but ever ended up getting one.

Bamboo is ok, the Intuos is much better. If you're a heavy PSD user, a tablet is a must.

I wish I could take apart this mouse and paint the top black, at least hahahaha

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Bamboo is ok, the Intuos is much better. If you're a heavy PSD user, a tablet is a must.

I wish I could take apart this mouse and paint the top black, at least hahahaha

if you really hate the color, you can take a light sandpaper to the top and use a paint similar to nail polish to make it your favorite color. I used a sharpie and drew on the DPI light to diffuse it.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
if you really hate the color, you can take a light sandpaper to the top and use a paint similar to nail polish to make it your favorite color. I used a sharpie and drew on the DPI light to diffuse it.

What do you think of the grip? Kind of a weird texture, isn't it?

For a few years now, I've been trying to find a "perfect mouse." It's not going to happen :(

chaseychasem

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
I hate SteerMouse and USB Overdrive. Just spent 6 hours trying to make both of them work. Must have uninstalled/installed them about 10 times already. They seem to screw up the pointer speed (and scroll speed), even if I try to customize it. I found the best setting is to remove any mouse software and just use the default speed.

Hadn't come across such negative criticism of SteerMouse before, but if that's the case, it sounds as though I'll be driven to a wireless Logitech mouse with OS X driver support. I can't see the point of a G series model without functional feature buttons.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Hadn't come across such negative criticism of SteerMouse before, but if that's the case, it sounds as though I'll be driven to a wireless Logitech mouse with OS X driver support. I can't see the point of a G series model without functional feature buttons.

I've read positive things about SteerMouse and was surprised I disliked it.

I guess maybe you can try it yourself, it's a free trial. I think I'm just going to return the mouse and get another wired one (probably a cheap one).

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
One final question to you guys...should I just return this mouse and get the Apple Wired Mouse (old version)? Apple still sells it.

I've been using the G500 for a few days and it's actually a good mouse. However, the weird textured grip, the ugly paint on the top and the lack of having assignable buttons (SteerMouse didn't work well for me) and not being able to use the smooth scrolling without getting weird effects, is a bit of a downer.

I really wish Logitech had drivers for this mouse. Shame.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I never had the G500 but I have the G700 and it worked flawlessly with a Mac Pro via Steermouse. I have since dumped my Mac Pro so I no longer use it in OSX however. The shape is pretty much identical to the G500 but I don't think it has the same texture. If you like a precise mouse I don't think you would like any of the Apple mice. Not only are they not very precise, you can't turn off pointer acceleration.

You can also look into Razer or Logitech non-gaming mice which does offer Mac support. I have a VX Nano on my MBP which I am fine with. There is OSX software support and the tracking is very good.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I never had the G500 but I have the G700 and it worked flawlessly with a Mac Pro via Steermouse. I have since dumped my Mac Pro so I no longer use it in OSX however. The shape is pretty much identical to the G500 but I don't think it has the same texture.

You can also look into Razer mice which does offer Mac support.

Did SteerMouse make the pointer weird? Can you post your sensitivity settings please? I'll give SteerMouse a last shot.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Did SteerMouse make the pointer weird? Can you post your sensitivity settings please? I'll give SteerMouse a last shot.

No. It felt like how a mice "should" feel. I don't have Steermouse anymore since I no longer have my Mac Pro (went Windows for my desktop). One thing though did you turn off the mouse acceleration in OSX? The pointer speed settings in OSX should be on the lowest.

p.s. You should try turning down the polling rate of the mouse. OSX can't handle high polling rate.

Last edited:

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
No. It felt like how a mice "should" feel. I don't have Steermouse anymore since I no longer have my Mac Pro (went Windows for my desktop). One thing though did you turn off the mouse acceleration in OSX? The pointer speed settings in OSX should be on the lowest.

p.s. You should try turning down the polling rate of the mouse. OSX can't handle high polling rate.

Thanks.

I have it at 333 (Polling). It was 125 in the beginning.

Apparently Mountain Lion likes faster polling rates.

I will give SteerMouse a last shot.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
OSX has issues with anything over 125Hz.

Weird, if I don't have SteerMouse installed, the pointer is super super smooth. At 125 it feels like a regular old mouse, though.

Just installed SteerMouse again...I think I can make this work...just have to nitpick the pointer dials.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Weird, if I don't have SteerMouse installed, the pointer is super super smooth. At 125 it feels like a regular old mouse, though.

Just installed SteerMouse again...I think I can make this work...just have to nitpick the pointer dials.

You don't need to use Steermouse if the pointer is fine without it. You can set everything in Windows. I used to use this app called Spark to map shortcuts. That way I can pre-program my mouse buttons with keystrokes in Windows.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
You don't need to use Steermouse if the pointer is fine without it. You can set everything in Windows. I used to use this app called Spark to map shortcuts. That way I can pre-program my mouse buttons with keystrokes in Windows.

How can I get the forward/backward button working? I tried to edit the .xml manually by switching Ctrl+[ and ] to Cmd+[ and ] so it would work under OS X, but it didn't, even after I stored it to the mouse. Will sparky allow me to do that?

I'd like to use the mouse on different Macs, so sometimes don't have the choice to install new applications cuz I don't have admin access.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
How can I get the forward/backward button working? I tried to edit the .xml manually by switching Ctrl+[ and ] to Cmd+[ and ] so it would work under OS X, but it didn't, even after I stored it to the mouse. Will sparky allow me to do that?

Have you tried Windows key + [ ]? That said assuming it doesnt work you can map the button to say CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + [ etc and then use Spark to map that to Back which is by default CMD + [ in OSX (I think). If you have to use it with different computers then you may be SoL.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Have you tried Windows key + [ ]? That said assuming it doesnt work you can map the button to say CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + [ etc and then use Spark to map that to Back which is by default CMD + [ in OSX (I think). If you have to use it with different computers then you may be SoL.

Yeah, tried Win+[ & ], I figured the CMD becomes WIN under Windows.

Shame on Logitech.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Just an update.

Finally configured SteerMouse and the G500 works beautifully under ML. If anyone needs the preferences for my settings, let me know.

I have set the poling rate to 333 under Windows and saved it to the onboard memory.

Probably one of the best/most accurate mice I've ever used. The grip texture and the ugly colors on the top I could live without, but a small price to pay for a great laser mouse.

Why the hell can't Logitech just release proper drivers???

chaseychasem

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
Just an update.

Finally configured SteerMouse and the G500 works beautifully under ML. If anyone needs the preferences for my settings, let me know.

I have set the poling rate to 333 under Windows and saved it to the onboard memory.

Probably one of the best/most accurate mice I've ever used. The grip texture and the ugly colors on the top I could live without, but a small price to pay for a great laser mouse.

Why the hell can't Logitech just release proper drivers???

Great to know, thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.