Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the introduction of the new 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, Logitech has announced the launch of the Combo Touch Keyboard for the two tablets, offering a more affordable alternative to the Magic Keyboard that Apple sells.

logitech-combo-touch.jpg

Priced at $199.99 for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $229.99 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the Logitech Combo Touch Keyboard provides a full folio case with attached keyboard and touchpad that can be used with the new iPad models.

The keyboard is detachable and an integrated stand allows it to be used in various typing, viewing, sketching, and reading modes. It connects to an iPad Pro using the Smart Connector, so there's no need for pairing or charging a battery.

The Combo Touch is sized to fit Apple's newest iPads, with separate options available for older tablets. At $199 or $229, it is a good deal more affordable than Apple's Magic Keyboard, though there are sometimes deals available on the Magic Keyboard from third-party retailers.

The Magic Keyboard for the 11-inch iPad Pro is priced at $299, and the version for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is priced at $349. The Magic Keyboard is available both in black and white, with white being a new color option this year.

Logitech's Combo Touch only comes in gray. The 11-inch version can be purchased from the Logitech website, and a version for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is coming soon.

Article Link: Logitech Launches Combo Touch Keyboard and Trackpad Case for Latest iPads

Last edited:

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
Can you connect the keyboard via bluetooth so you can use it when it's detached?

Comment

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
I had a Slim Combo keyboard for my 10.5. It took a while but I became pretty efficient with it. When I moved to my 11 I bought a smart folio keyboard, and I have been missing my Slim Combo every day I have to type on this thing. It feels worse, it lacks function keys, and the up/down arrow keys suck. I can’t wait for the day when these go on sale for $100 or so and it’s a buy for me.

Reactions: Agit21
Comment

willpowern

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
I'm planning of getting the new iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard. I was trying to be clever and buy Magic Keyboard while it was on sale on Amazon. Now, I wonder if last years Magic Keyboard will work on the new iPad. Apple.com is giving mixed messages. Anyone know the skinny?

Comment

satchmo

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Kickstands are just a stupid idea IMHO ... you can't use the damn things on the couch.

Exactly. Nor when lying in bed. They are also so unwieldy to unfold, prop and most of all take up so much desk space.

I will give them marks for a good keyboard feel with media keys.

Reactions: Agit21
Comment

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Exactly. Nor when lying in bed. They are also so unwieldy to unfold, prop and most of all take up so much desk space.

Agree with this - if the Apple version had the top row of extra keys like the Logitech it would be perfect.

Comment

RedTheReader

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2019
It's nice to just be able to fold the keyboard behind the device when I'm holding it. With Apple's Magic Keyboard, you can argue that it's simple to just take the iPad off, but that means you'd have to fold and put the keyboard somewhere else. That can get annoying pretty fast if you like using the keyboard in bursts (comments, for example) and not just for extended laptop-style work.

Having the keyboard right there so that you can quickly use it and then store it whenever you need is nice. I prefer that monolithicity over the modular approach of the Magic Keyboard.

Comment

LogicalApex

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I guess now we see why Apple didn't wrap the sides of the iPad on the Smart Keyboard. No need to buy a new one due to the tiny thickness bump.

Comment

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Looks great! Glad they went back to being able to detach the keyboard. Looks like it only fits the 5th gen 12.9. So is it safe to assume that means it won’t fit the 2018 12.9?

Reactions: shapesinaframe
Comment

victry1

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
NJ
I'm planning of getting the new iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard. I was trying to be clever and buy Magic Keyboard while it was on sale on Amazon. Now, I wonder if last years Magic Keyboard will work on the new iPad. Apple.com is giving mixed messages. Anyone know the skinny?
Unfortunately, I looked at Amaz0n today and they are no longer on sale.😞 My personal opinion is that it will fit the new IPP. I think if it didn’t they would have mentioned a new one. Hope you find the answer to your question.

However, I’m pretty sure Amazon will have them on sale again.

Reactions: amartinez1660
Comment

Antes

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
Returned mine not only Bc of the weight but because of the trackpad. also really wasn’t a fan of the linty grey color.

Comment

shapesinaframe

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2020
Why did they put the lock screen button next to the delete key!? 😣

I was sure they released a version a while back where they stopped doing that.

Comment

amartinez1660

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
Kickstands are just a stupid idea IMHO ... you can't use the damn things on the couch.
Oh, true this, I use a Smart Keyboard folio for 11” (bought it before all the magic keyboard craze) and it has been a no brainer use in couches, slanted comfy chairs (the best position for casual use for me), etc...
Didn’t think that the kickstand will totally not work in the same way.

Comment

bradman83

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
The only reason last year’s model wouldn’t be compatible would be if the camera bump were significantly wider but I don’t see any indicator that’s the case.

Comment

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Basically transforming the iPad to a laptop? Not my thing. Floating keyboard is probably something I would use on some cases when travelling but still would not pay that much.

Comment

kobberrød

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020
Copenhagen
Lovely! Much nicer than Folio Touch due to this detachable keyboard.

Although they could've made the cut-out for Touch ID button to make it compatible with the latest Air...

Comment

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India

And using them when you don't need the keyboard is pretty inconvenient too.

Comment

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Apple's Magic Keyboard for iPad are frequently discounted, $199 for 11" and $249 for 12".
So? These are still nice cases for $199/$229, no sale needed. I've used mine extensively for the last 6 months. How much have you used one?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.