Logitech Ultra Thin or ZAGG Folio?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Meltdownblitz, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I'm having a huge hard time deciding between the Logitech ultra thin or the zagg folio. I currently have both but obviously 1 has to go back to the store. I'm trying to decide between both, if I go with the ultra thin I will be using some sort of sleeve/bag.

I usually use my iPad without a case, but with only a full body invisible shield and a smart cover around the house. I am leaning towards the ultra thin because of this setup I use and I feel that it's easier to just pull the ultra thin out and click it onto my iPad and go when I travel vs sliding the iPad in the folio all the time, not to mention the ultra thin is a bit more classy.

However, the only big con I have about the ultra thin is that I feel the magnets are not very strong however as I said I will be using a bag if I decide on this product. The other gripe I have is that it gets scratched quite easily, but that can be solved with some sort of skin.

Given these circumstances, which would you choose? What do you think is a better product?

I really appreciate all the opinions, thank you!

2. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

I had the folio and although I liked it there was a problem because I use a screen protector and the fact that it had to be slid into "rails" that covered a small part of the front, it pealed off the screen protector.

Second thing is that it was in there really really tight and getting it out was a lot of work. That could have been partly the screen protector adding a little thickness, but I don't know. I took it back after a day because of those issues, otherwise I liked it.

I have no experience with the other case so can't say anything there.

Have a good day,
    HiddenPuppy

3. mortenandersen, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Hard decision...

I have had experience with both, and these are my main points: A) In a carrying-situation. the ZAGG covers the iPad (and the keyboard) in a satisfying way, although you may still feel the need to put it in a big enough sleeve or etui if you are carrying it in a bag (a bit dependent of the other content of the bag). The UltraThin I would put in a sleeve, originally meant for an old small notebook. B) In a situation when you are using the iPad and writing with the keyboard, i) the difference of the very keyboard layout may give you a clue about what product you prefer, and ii) the back of the keyboard is exposed directly to the table (or what you have put it on), and that may cause scratches, if you don't buy a protective sheet or put some "pads" on the back of the keyboard. C) In the trasition situation, when you need to take the iPad out of the combo-unit: I have found it easy to draw the iPad out of the ZAGG, so that's not a problem for me (but I am not using an invisible shield on the iPad). Likewise, it is obviously very easy to take the iPad out of the Ultra's magnetic "groove" and then to put the two units together and keep them together as one unit with the magnet.

Finally, which combo is the most elegant? Of course it's a matter of taste, but many will, I think, mean that the Ultrathin may turn out to be seen as more "classy" and adding just a minimum to the iPad itself. And on the other hand, I have heard others say that the ZAGG solution looks very nice and stylish.

Of the above mentioned factors, I will say that the differences of the keyboard layout may get more attention, and this is a subjective point, but a point worth to take into the consideration.

4. Lenow macrumors member

Logitech Ultra Slim My Favorite

It is a matter of personal preference, but I love the Ultra Slim. I tried the three, what I consider, top bluetooth keyboard cases, Zagg, Adonit and Logitech Ultrathin. I think the ultratrhin is the lightest and most elegant and keeps the feel of the iPad that I love most. Also, I find the keyboard is easier to use, less mistakes and much easier to use or not use as the mood hits you. The two shift keys are full size and the Adonit has a small shift key on the right side that made me keep hitting the return key. The Zagg is the clunkiest, but solid, secure and reliable. I turned mine back but it worked pretty well. The Adonit took three returns to get one that worked right and then the key thing drove me away. I also have a great Gelskin cover with my dogs and I like to see it all the time rather than it being covered up. My two cents.

5. Meltdownblitz thread starter macrumors 65816

After weighing out the factors and my needs, I've decided I'm going to keep the Logitech Ultra Thin and return the Zagg Folio. My reasons for this is because I use my iPad as stated above, naked with just an invisible shield and I feel like it would be quick to just snap the keyboard on and go. I have ordered a carbon skin for the back of my Ultra thin as well as a sleeve for both my iPad and ultra thin.

Thanks again for the responses, I really appreciate it.

6. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

What sleeve did you end up getting ?

7. Meltdownblitz thread starter macrumors 65816

8. asksho macrumors newbie

I liked it there was a problem because I use a screen protector and the fact that it had to be slid into "rails" that covered a small part of the front, it pealed off the screen protector.

9. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

just bought the logitech today at costco for $79...

...and I don't kow what i think about it. The keys themselves feel very nice when typing (I am using it now) but the magnet that attaches the keyboard to the ipad ala smart cover is not very good at all. I feel that if the magnet was stronger i would give this a perfect review, but i am not sure if I am going to keep or return this.

I see myself using this quite a bit but i don't know if I will be able to get past the weak magnets. It is almost as if there is no magnet in there at all. At first I thought it was the fact that I have a zagg invisishield on the back but when I put this on my wifes iPad (Naked) it was still very weak.

Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe I got a defect, but I am thinking they all must be like this.

10. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

11. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Do you find it anywhere near as strong as an apple smart cover? I am very close to putting my back in the Box and returning it tomorrow. I hate that feeling when you buy a product and WANT to love it so bad but you can't seem to bring yourself to keeping it. That's my feeling now with this keyboard case.

I should take a video of what I am experiencing. I can slide the case up and down along the front screen of the iPad and the magnet barley catches. It doesn't even come close to holding tight. If I take 1 hand and old my iPad I can slide my thumb and index/middle finger together (like rubbing your thumb and fingers together on the same hand) and the keyboard hinge will come right off the iPad. I feel it should be better then that. It's as if there isn't a magnet there at all and I would just be keeping it as a keyboard and not as a smart cover case + keyboard.

I am sure you can tell I really want to like this. I think the design is elegant and I LOVE the way it looks. Damn it!! LOL :p

12. Meltdownblitz thread starter macrumors 65816

Well it's hard to tell. That is probably the only flaw I don't like about this as well is the magnet. The way it sounds is that yours may be a little defective. The magnet should be strong but not like the smart cover strong. The magnet on this keyboard is not strong enough IMO and also as many others have said. I think the way to test yours to put it on the keyboard like your going to use it, and you should be able to lift your iPad and the 2 should stay connected while docked in the keyboard. If that is strong and it doesn't move like it wants to fall then you got the same product probably all of us got in which we don't think the magnet is strong enough. If you wanted you could just claim that one you got is defective and get another, if it feels the same then it's just the weak magnet on the keyboard. :/

13. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

My Ultra Thin sticks as strong as my Smartcover and when my iPad is in the slot, I can pick the combo up with zero feeling they keyboard is going to fall off.

14. Meltdownblitz thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes same for me. It's just when it's snapped onto the side of the iPad is when the magnet is not strong enough. With the push of your thumb you can disconnect the magnet. Also check out larrygreenburg's video.

15. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

I may not have been been as descriptive as I should have, or maybe I was lol let's find out.

The magnet I am referring to is the magnet that connects the keyboard to the iPad JUST LIKE THE SMART COVER. When the iPad is docked into the keyboard in landscape mode there are ZERO issues with that magnet. The issues I am having are with the magnet that connects the case as a "smart cover". When I hold the iPad with 1 hand the two separate very easily.

Make sense? Just want to make sure I am explaining myself correctly.

Thank you all.

----------

Is what I'm talking about. Glad I'm not alone. I'll be returning. Thanks everyone.

16. Scottyee macrumors regular

I think It's important to differentiate between the two different magnets on the Logitech Ultrathin different keyboard:

1) Magnet that secures the Logitech Ultrathin cover to the iPad during transport and storage
    2) Magnet that secures the iPad in the Logitech KB's slot when the keyboard is in use.

My experience with my Logitech Ultrathin and iPad is that the 1st referenced magnet needs to be a bit stronger (to better secure the Ultrathin unit to the iPad) than the one used on the Apple Smart Cover because the Logitech Ultrathin is substantially thicker and heavier than the smart cover leather/poly cover material alone. On the other hand, I feel the magnetic slot on the Ultrathin used to secure the iPad when typing is more than adequately strong as I'm easily able to lift the two units up together in the air, holding the iPad alone. That said, a stronger magnet here would afford better magnetic strength for people that want to use the Ultrathin with their iPad in a back shell type case..

17. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Agree

I agree that the magnet that holds the iPad while in typing mode is more then adequate...in fact I think that it was perfect for its use. The other magnet however that acts just like the smart cover hinge is o where near as strong as it needs to be.

18. Meltdownblitz thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly, I second this.

19. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

20. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

You win the Most Irrelevant Post of the Week Award.:rolleyes:

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

Returning my ultrathin today.

Issues:

1. Magnet will not hold cover closed. Not even close on this. All it does is trigger the on/off screen
    2. 60 degree angle is fine for type but little else. Really need a wider range in angles
    3. While pretty, the logitech back should be more rugged so that skins are not needed. I can see this scrathing quick.

I bought at costco, so perhaps this is why something new like this is so cheap there?....they got the back stock (magnet wise)?

22. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I returned mine for the exact same reasons. Nice unit by thought and quality, but just found it lacking in the execution department.

23. Meltdownblitz thread starter macrumors 65816

Which keyboard did you guys end up going with?

24. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

I wonder if it is a Costco related issue regarding Item 1. I bought my Ultrathin directly from Logitech and I do not have this problem.

25. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

I returned mines, for different reasons.. it was missing stuff in the box (pre-opened unit).

an alternative? Thought about this. Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K760
    its not out yet though, and not sure which compromise to make
    the solar keyboard that's cheaper, bulkier, heavier, but offers a full sized keyboard (but still light for a portable full sized keyboard).
    or the ultrathin which has a smaller keyboard and more expensive.

i have a 20% off coupon for both.