iPad Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by riv3r, Nov 7, 2013.

1. riv3r macrumors newbie

Just picked this up at BestBuy (sold out on Amazon last time I looked). Enjoying it so far, especially the ease with which the case converts from "laptop" style to "magazine" style (photo 3 --> photo 4). Nice grippy texture on the case. More details to come shortly:

Attached Files:

2. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

I'd be all over that if I:

A: Wouldn't have to take it off every time for work.
    B: Didn't have a Surface Pro 2 to play with.

That looks really nice.

3. eg2007, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

eg2007 macrumors 6502

I just picked this up too. I had it for the iPad Mini and the sleep/wake function worked great.

Sadly, the sleep/wake function does not work on this version for the Air.

Does it work on yours? If so, maybe I just have a defective unit.

That said, it does not say it has a sleep/wake feature on the Logitech website, so maybe they didn't put it in this iPad Air version.

4. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Is it easy to take it in and out of the case?

5. eg2007 macrumors 6502

IMO, yes.

6. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

The first batch of name brand iPad Mini cases didn't have the sleep/wake function built in either. It wasn't until later when the manufacturers released updated versions with it.

7. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Odd, because the Logitech folio only case that is at Bet Buy has a working sleep/wake yet the Ultrathin Keyboard Case I picked up as well from Best Buy does not.

8. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I actually JUST read that. I think the sleep/wake function works there because the case is reliant on the magnets for it to close. It's not an advertised feature of the case however, so it could be a side effect.

9. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Well, looks like i randomly figured out that the case I have is defective. When I shift the cover and make it off-centered, it triggers the sleep/wake. Ugh. Looks like this case has to be exchanged :(

----------

Yes, you're right. What a bummer.

Oh well, I think I can live with just having my iPad auto-sleep. The keyboard
    Is one of the best quality IMO.

Hopefully, another batch adds the feature.

----------

Now that I recall, the iPad mini version of this case didn't magnetically hold shut like this Air version does (could be wrong). Probably why they went with one magnet over the other as to no interfere. Spitballing here ;)

10. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

11. amps macrumors member

Anyone able to compare this Logitech to the Zaggkeys? I have the Zaggkeys folio but there are a few things which bug me about it, like the fact that it can't fold back to lay flat. The ios "pull up" screen is almost impossible to activate because the hinge covers some part of the bottom of the screen. Also when closing the lid, only the hinge is what keeps lid shut, no snap to hold it shut.

12. eg2007 macrumors 6502

$99 at Best Buy

----------

I had the Zagg iPad mini version. The build quality was horrible. I kept having to exchange it because it had cracks in the shell. It was a really nice keyboard, but you're right, it didn't have many viewing angles.

I switched to the Logitech Ultrathin and haven looked back. But I see there are a few other cases coming out, most notably, a Belkin one that is on their site.

For now, I think the Logitech is more ergonomic than the Zagg.

13. riv3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Eg2007,

The sleep/auto wake function is working for my case. No issues with it. Looks like you're right about yours being defective and needing to be exchanged.

My main issue right now is whether or not I want to keep my iPad air. I'm often finding myself resorting back to my MacBook Air to complete tasks, especially with Pages and Numbers. I'll give it several more days before I decide.

That said, this is the best case I tested out at best buy for the iPad air. Although, the upcoming Belkin Qode Ultimate keyboard case looks enticing as well, assuming I keep my iPad.

14. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Huge bummer. I'll have to exchange it. Odd that it doesn't even list the feature on the packaging and the Logitech site.

I use a MBA and my iPad Air all the time. Use the same apps you do. Mostly, writing apps. For me, it's easier to carry the iPad around. I've been doing it for years. Thought the Mini was for me, but the Air screen size is much better for my tasks.

Thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

15. amps macrumors member

@eg2007

thanks for the feedback. I'll probably try out the logitech or wait for something else to come along.

16. Aaplipad macrumors newbie

Trying to decide

I bought both zagg and Logitech. Having a hard time deciding which to keep. I like the keyboard of the zagg but like the folding option on the Logitech. Would like better all around protection like the shell case of the zagg. The Logitech does not have multiple viewing angles like zagg. Wish it were easier to make a decision.

17. eg2007 macrumors 6502

@Aaplipad

Does YOUR sleep/wake function work on the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard for iPad Air?

18. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

I have the zagg and hate it. I've been waiting on returning it until the belkin qode comes out. The only feature I like on the zagg is the multiple viewing angles. The build quality is terrible.

19. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Completely agree!

20. riv3r thread starter macrumors newbie

I change my mind quickly....

So, after a short time with the Logitech, and after decided that I would keep my Ipad Air, I returned the keyboard case for the following reasons:

1) added too much weight to the iPad Air, especially noticeable when trying to read with it in magazine style

2) I missed having the ability to keep my iPad standing on its own in Portrait mode

3) If I really needed to use a physical keyboard, then I would just use my Macbook Air. I've become more adept at using the onscreen Ipad keyboard.

4) I saved about $90 and decreased overall weight by switching to this case I found on Amazon:

The Khomo leather case

Attached Files:

21. Epiphron macrumors regular

Just wondering, does your Best Buy sell the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover? Thinking about picking that up instead of a bulky folio

22. Aaplipad macrumors newbie

Actually, I haven't tried that. I was more concerned with fit, finish and usability. I will have to try it and see.

23. Aaplipad macrumors newbie

No! no matter what I try there appears to be no magnetic sleep/wake function. All of the instructions as well as the online site do not specify that this even exists.:mad:

24. Aaplipad macrumors newbie

Last observation on both Zagg & Logitech..I'm returning both. Here's why:

Zagg: After multiple try-outs the lid begins to loosen and will not stay firmly closed. It does have magnets to turn it off when closed, but if stored sideways, as I do in my Tumi briefcase, the lid opens enough to turn on the ipad. Battery drain should be expected! I like the keyboard key placement far better than Logitech, but not enough to keep this one

Logitech: There seems to be no magnetic turn off when the case is closed. It is possible to have the top and bottom of the case not mate correctly with the magnets. Scratches on the glass? maybe but cant say if it would happen. After trying to type using Pages, I found myself hitting the wrong keys because the key spacing and their key placement is a bit strange. I'm not a trained keyboard typist and still use a modified hunt and peck, but i'm very fast and I consistently found myself hitting the wrong keys. Also, do not like the fact that the iPad is so exposed. None of the sides are protected like a smart case.

So, I'm returning both units to Best Buy and will wait for alternatives. Maybe the Belkin product will be better. For now I think I will just pack my iMac bluetooth keyboard for biz trips when needed. It probably weighs just as much as these keyboard cases anyway. I'll prop up my iPad using the smartcase and be happy until a better solution is available. Not as elegant, but it will do for now.:(

25. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I actually went back to BB and tried a few others. They all didn't have the feature. Although, if I leave the Bluetooth keyboard on, then let my iPad auto sleep after 2-5 mins, then when I open the case I can just hit a key and it wakes. I believe the keyboard sleeps after a while, so it may not drain.

Fortunately, I love this case. The keyboard has great action.