Logitech vs. Microsoft

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Burtonsnow9, May 20, 2008.

1. Burtonsnow9 macrumors regular

hey guys, i'm about to buy an entire setup as soon as i get my MBP and i was wondering which mouse to get. I was looking at either a Logitech MX Revolution or a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000. They're both about the same price so that's not an issue.

What do you guys think about these two or is there another one you would recommend? I really need one that is wireless and rechargeable.

2. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I really depends on how many buttons you want.

Logitech makes nice mice but there drivers kinda suck on the mac. Microsoft also makes nice mice although i have never used one for an extended period of time.

I currently have the Logitech S530 setup and like it very much. Like i said the drivers kinda suck (they kill growl) but other then that the keyboard and mouse is great.

Given all that, if i was using a MBP i would go for the Microsoft product in this case. It is bluetooth and does not require any dongle/usb stick to be plugged in to work.

3. chapmac macrumors member

Hi - I have a Ms Bluetooth mouse that i use with my Macbook, and I wouldn't recommend it.

I got it as I don't like the Mighty Mouse (trackball is a pain and breaks too easily) but wanted bluetooth. The biggest problme with the MS mouse it that the drivers aren't great you can't cutomise the buttons using the drivers or OSX. It works OK, though the click isn't very positive, but I can't reconfigure it for tracking speed or to reassign the buttons.

Logitechs have a very good reputation, but I discounted it as there are no bluetooth mice avilable (in the UK at least) only wireless. I didn't want a 'dongle' sticking out of a USB on a permanent basis as the machine gets a hard life in an out of bags/desk etc several times a day.

Hope this helps.

4. Burtonsnow9 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys for your input.

I wont mind the dongle because i'll have it connected to a usb hub.
    and what exactly sucks about the drivers for the logitech or microsoft?

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Logitech VX Nano. Smallest dongle in the world, and I bring my laptop to uni every single day. It goes in and out of my bag 3-5 times per day, and nothing bad has happened. There are a total of 7 buttons on this mouse, and you can program the buttons to do whatever you want.

I really wanted a bluetooth mouse, and was willing to get something that wasn't perfect, as all the good mice seem to be IR or wired. However, this mouse is phenomenal.

6. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

7. Wiredrawn macrumors regular

I have the Logitech v470 in white, and it's great.

It's bluetooth for one, so no dongle or usb port taken up, and it works great.

It is true that the logitech drivers aren't great, but you can just leave it out and let the OSX drivers sort it out, and the buttons are customisable if you so wish.

Great product, great price.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Tough call.

Both companies make good mice and keyboards. If both were equal and I had to choose between companies, I would lean slightly towards Microsoft. Their stuff works well and seems to last. But it would be difficult call for me. Probably would need to go to the store and check them out.

Drivers might be an issues. You might want to do some research in that area as well before purchasing.

9. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

If you get a logitech mouse you basically have to buy steermouse or an equivalent. Logitech's mac drivers are a joke.

10. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Just to clarify, the Logitech Set Point software doesn't play well with Mac's, but the mouse will still work. Some of the buttons may not function properly without installing a 3rd party software, but it'll still have at least the basic functions.

The Logitech VX Nano totally rocks, but just so you know, it's the smaller sized, laptop mouse. If you've never seen the smaller mice, go to a local store and check one out to make sure it'll work for you before buying. It's on sale right now on newegg.com.

I've had a lot of Microsoft mice, and have loved every one of them. I agree it's a tough call between that and a Logitech! Good luck on your decision. :)

11. brandonzar macrumors regular

Go with Logitech

I have the VX Nano and as a previous poster said, it is great. When I first got my MBP the drivers didn't work right, but after the 10.5.2 update it started working perfectly. All of the buttons are programmable and they work well for spaces and expose. I don't personally have the MX Revolution, but from what I know it is fairly similar to the VX Nano (other than sizes), I think it uses the same drivers so I don't think that is a big deal anymore. The best feature is the hyper scroll wheel and I know that the MX Revolution has that. Good luck with what ever you choose. If you do go with the Bluetooth Microsoft please post about it because I have been wondering how it works, my USB ports are always full so that would be a nice option.

12. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I've had the MX Revolution for about nine months. The drivers were stable for me with 10.4.9, had some quirks 10.5.0, and have been stable since Logitech's LCC refresh for 10.5.2.

The only quirk I've had consistently is that the side-scroll button sometimes "sticks" in the software -- causing my volume to crank up. It's a software issue, since this doesn't happen in Windows.

I've been pleased with my MX and have no need to buy third-party mouse drivers.

13. jmdilley macrumors newbie

I have the Microsoft Notebook Mouse 5000. While not perfect, I think it works great. It's bluetooth, so no dongle, small enough in size to easily be mobile, and has good feedback.

I was disappointed, as were other posters, that I couldn't customize the buttons in OS X, but found that SteerMouse will take care of that for me. While not great that I had to license a 3rd Party app to get full functionality out of my mouse, it's a great app and now lets me use any mouse and customize it the way I want.

14. Chafka macrumors member

I have the MX Revolution and it is a very nice mouse to use (my first cordless). I have had zero problems with it and my macbook pro (driver issues included). I am guessing that when they went away from APE, they cleared up a lot of issues (just my guess). I try to steer clear of Microsoft since the mice that I have owned from them had tracking (trackball) issues or quality issues instead. Overall I have had better luck with Logitech.

15. akm3 macrumors 68020

To be fair, Logitech's windows drivers pretty much suck too, although the Mac ones are much worse/less featured.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i prefer logitech mice myself.

their drivers were horrible, but afaik they've been updated to not cause kernal panics at least.

17. eMace macrumors member

I've had a Microsoft Intellimouse for Bluetooth for a few years now and its quickly become my favorite peripheral. It has a tilt wheel for horizontal scrolling, wheel click (which I use for expose), and forward and back thumb buttons. Very comfortable to use.

When I switched to a Mac recently I was worried I wouldn't be able use the full functionality but with the latest Intellipoint driver it works exactly like it did on the PC.

The only complaints I have about it is that its battery powered so I gotta replace the batteries every couple months, and the scroll wheel is too smooth for me (I prefer the clicky turn wheels).

But the Lasermouse 8000 you're looking at seems to be rechargeable so that's a major plus right there. The only thing about the 8000 is that the forward back buttons are one on each side, instead of both being near the thumb (which may or may not be a problem for you. Just takes some getting used to I guess if your accustomed to both being at the thumb).

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I would only get the 8000 if you are left handed, the 7000 is a lot cooler for right handers.

The best deal is probably a refurb MX Revolution though.

19. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I have been using Logitech devices (keyboard, 3 mice, and recently a joystick) for almost 5 years now, and I won't even consider looking at any other brands. Their drivers/software sometimes has to be updated from their website vs. the CD with the device to make it work perfectly with my Mac, but I can live with that.

20. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, they aren't reliant on APE anymore. Who knows why they did that rather just write real drivers.

21. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The MX Revo is a fantastic mouse with OK drivers. They work. They could be better. Steermouse is a good alternative.

I dunno how nice the MS's 8000 is, but I do know their drivers are very nice (based on USB Overdrive I think?). Problem I've had with all MS mice is that the scroll wheels gunk up easily and stop working well after a while.

22. Burtonsnow9 thread starter macrumors regular

that's definitely good to know and I would definitely be fine downloading a couple of drivers from their website.

the scroll wheel could be a big problem as I constantly use it.

The MX revolution does have a clickable scroll wheel right? On my mouse right now i mainly use it to open links up in new windows which i've found to be real helpful

23. Snowbound macrumors regular

I've been very happy with my VX revolution most recently, and with most of my logitech products to date. I switch between that and a logitech S530 Keyboard and mouse combo and I will say my logitech drivers get confused occasionally when I switch between the two. I'm not sure if that matters for you though.

24. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I love my MX Revolution. It is hands down the best mouse I've ever owned and I primarily used Microsoft in the past.

That said, the Logitech drivers DO suck, killing both Growl and Mail.Appetizer which was a no-go for me. So I shelled out $20 for the awesome Steermouse drivers and now all is bliss. :)