Logmein free alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Che Castro, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

I just got this email from logmein saying that in 7 days the program will not be free anymore

What's another free alternative program like logmein ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently. Also, TeamViewer doesn't affect audio settings on OS X, as many have reported that LogMeIn does.

3. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

I've been using team viewer for a few years now. No problem connecting to my parents window computers from my Mac's. Even a free app for the iPad that works decently.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say Teamviewer is your only free option at this point. I've long stopped using Logmein, mostly because my company blocked them because of security concerns (I don't have the details on why they think it was a security problem).

5. numlock, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

numlock macrumors 68000

and they allow teamviewer?

i used to use both as i found huge benefit in having access to the computers i most often connected in any browser. but when at home and when i needed to help friends i used teamviewer.

what about google remote desktop isnt that supposed to only require snow leopard on macs?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

they allow gotomypc which is what I use. It has something along the lines of what lands on their servers - tbh, I'm not sure.

7. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

Another vote for TeamViewer. I use it to be able to work on my parents PC's. Works great....

8. Kubaton macrumors member

Kubaton

I used TeamViewer on Windows and loved it. It works fine on Mac when I use it to remotely connect to another computer.

The problem I'm having, and I've searched until my eyes hurt and still haven't found the solution, is that I use dual monitors and when I connect to my MacBook the mouse will only move about two-thirds of the way across the screen. It's as if the screen on the iPad client is shifted to the right because the cursor won't move all the way to the left on my MacBook's 2nd monitor while I'm testing it. It's driving me crazy.

9. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

10. bbbc macrumors newbie

I like TeamViewer, but is anyone else concerned about how long their free service will last? I've also read about people getting "Commercial use detected" during a TeamViewer session.

I need to find a current guide (2014) on using Vine Server 4.01 through SSH. I tried Lion's internal ARD Screen Sharing (VNC), but the lag was too hard to deal with in this day and age.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

TeamViewer has been free for personal use for the 7-8 years I've been using it, so while anything is possible, I don't expect it to change in that regard. I've used it extensively, including days when I'm on it for 5+ hours a day, sometimes connecting to a dozen different computers, including 2 at a time, and I've never received any notice about commercial use.

12. rboy505 macrumors member

Plus, Teamviewer's model is "The World's Most Popular Stock Photo Model" or "The World's Most Over-Exposed Stock Photo Model", depending on your mood.

Google Overly Smiley Girl.

Kind of funny. She's been ALL over the place.

13. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

14. fcomstoc macrumors member

fcomstoc

+1 for Teamviewer, I have been using it for several years, I use it for personal use and for helping people with their computer issues remotely without having to deal with port-forwarding. The new version is awesome, they added some really great features.

15. charlyham, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

Usoris Systems is promoting their site to replace Logmein free

Sorry, this is for Windows machines.
    They say they will always be free.
    http://www.remoteutilities.com/

16. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I wonder if when Team Viewer gets all the LogMeIn expats it too will no longer be "free." ;)

Do be aware that if you have a Mac you already have free screen sharing. You got it when you bought your Mac. And no, I don't man BTMM. It's just built in and you enable it in the Sharing Preference Pane. These services make the process of sharing easier for more inexperienced (and sometimes experienced) users by facilitating the process of finding and routing to your base computer. Eg if you don't have a static IP. Then use a VNC client on any platform.

Another way to go, and a very secure one, is to use a "free" service that does the router/finding thing for you, but you buy the software. That's the model for ShareTool and Sling, for example. I prefer sharing over SSH using ShareTool, for example. And they have many, many other features (which you can also use without using their login services).

Rob

17. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

18. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

Teamviewer is pretty good yea, I'd say it might be better than Logmein for certain types of things.

There is also Google Chrome Remote Desktop which is gonna get an iOS app soon. Beware of the privacy issues though, you'd have to sell your soul:

[​IMG]

19. numlock macrumors 68000

i havent used it but there are quite a few extensions that require all your browser data but could the computer data be needed because it supports file transfer?

20. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Ok I installed teamviewer today

A few things I don't like

Doesn't seem to be as fluid as logmein , I don't know logmein just looks better

After you use the program you get a popup on the screen every time, but beggars can't choosers , hey is free

And last
    I want to keep teamviewer running in the background but having the icon in my dock annoys me , one icon in the menubar is enough
    Is there a way to hide the dock icon ?
    I don't see it in preference

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no way to hide it.

22. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have been a logmein user for a while... mostly for tech support for friends and family. I also used it for remote control of my iMac... but that is a feature that I really do not need anymore.

I suspect that I'll switch to TeamViewer. I have a couple of questions (reply from GGJ would be great).

1) Do I need to have it running continuously... or can I have the person receiving tech support launch it on demand when they request support from me.

2) If I am providing tech support for someone, do we need to be using the same Teamviewer account? If not... what is the procedure to connect.

/Jim

23. PicnicTutorials, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014

PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I figured out how to hide/block/remove all the popups and icons that teamviewer forces on you. Only one on the web! Who is the man? lol. You are right it is not as fluid as logmein. But it is the best free alternative to logmein. Anyone else notice when you tap the mouse moves slightly? That bugs. I can't post links to my own **** on how to remove the popups. My link in my sig below > Forum > Apple section > Mac/OS X category > remove teamviewer popups and etc. All the answers revealed.

For now I use Teamviewer when outside my network and I use Remotix when inside my network. Remotix Is actually even more fluid then logmein. But I am not smart enough apparently to get it working outside my network. I finally gave up. That's like maybe my 2nd time ever.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, they can launch it when needed. There is no need to leave it running, unless you want unattended access.

Each computer has Teamviewer installed, with a unique ID. The Teamviewer website gives simple instructions for setting up a connection.

25. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

They can launch it on demand. two different accounts. They provide you with their id.