LogMeIn

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by bigwayne3000, May 11, 2010.

1. bigwayne3000 macrumors regular

ok so have any of you guys used this app called LogMeIn? this app allows you to control your home pc/laptop from your iphone/ipad. the app is $30 but what it doesnt say on their website is whether or not there is a yearly membership you need to pay for or if oyu need to pay for another program which would install on your comp in order for the app to use it. does anyone know? have any of you used this for the iphone or currently on your ipad? if so how is it? what are its limitations?

2. acrafton macrumors 6502

I have been using TeamViewer

I have been using TeamViewer - it is free and so far works great. I have not been able to see any comparison between the two. What I needed - to be able to log in an run apps from my IPad it does very well.

3. Skystar macrumors 6502

I use this for many of my computers, and the free account is all you really need for basic remote control. Works great actually. You don't have to pay for the program you install on your comp.

4. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

can you use flash on your ipad than by going to either IE or Safari whatever your comp runs and do it that way? also you dont have to pay anything to use this neither for the app or the service? why would a company do this for free? lol

5. Skystar macrumors 6502

Well you pay for the app, the company has many paid services that I'm sure some power users may need. Flash over remote is kind of slow but you will be able to view it.

6. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

We use LogMeIn here at the office for a few of the partners. It's easy to use and we have fewer issues than with just a straight VPN connection.

Probably the two LogMeIn options you would want to consider are LogMeIn Free and LogMeIn Pro. LogMeIn Pro runs like $30 a year.

Basically the difference between the two is Pro will give you file sharing between PC's, sound, printing and screen sharing. If you just want VPN access to a local PC, LogMeIn Free is just fine.

My boss has the iPad app for LogMeIn and it does the job. The only annoying thing about it is that you have to navigate the mouse cursor around with your finger.

7. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

ok great guys thanks for the help. i had noticed that no sound was a gripe with the reviews on the App Store but it makes sense now that its only available for the paid $30 version. i dont really have that much stuff on my comp so i prolly would never need this and if i did itd be to view videos or do something in flash that i cant normally but its not worth the $30/yr subscription. ill prolly sitll get the free one just in case someday i do need to use it. thanks again!

8. Skystar macrumors 6502

Definitely not fast enough for flash video. It's really just good for remote control and point and click type applications. Also good for remote troubleshooting.

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I use Logmein a lot and enjoy it. The iPad version makes it a truly functional version on the iPhone OS platform. The $30 app and a Logmein Free account is an excellent value.

There is a huge thread about remote desktop apps in this section and Logmein comes up many times:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=900457

10. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

You won't really have the frame rate for video. I've not used the pro version as the free version does everything I need and let's me connect to a dozen or so computers in a few taps.

For remote video streaming you should look at AirVideo. It's really amazing what it does with automatic encoding on the fly conversion of multiple formats and streaming them to your iphone or iPad. They have a service to connect over the internet or local network.

11. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

If you're just wanting to control your home computer via your iPad, even if you're away from home, then the app is all you need and it's a one off payment. They do offer other services for business users. I bought the app for the iPhone (which is now universal so works on iPad too) and it's been great. I can check into my home computer when I'm out and I can also work other people's computers if I install LogMeIn on their computers too. Good for old relatives who constantly run into problems on their computers. ;)

12. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

+1 for LogMeIn

We use it here in our office and it works great. I have the app on my iPhone and iPad. The iPhone app was cool, but really small. The iPad app is ideal. I was actually using it last night accessing a server to do stuff and it was great to be using my iPad instead of a laptop!

13. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I have it and like it but this week, I'm on the road and my desktop iMac keep a showing unavailable. Yet I can use my MacBook to screen share, no issues.

I want to be able to leave the MacBook home but will not until I can troubleshoot why this is happening.

14. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I am interested in Logmein as well. Can anyone comment of 3G usability? I am a little worried about lag. I suppose if you turn down the colours and maybe the resolution it should be okay, but I hope someone can comment on their experience over 3G on the iPad.

P.S. Do you ever get those annoying "Low on Memory" popups that Mocha gives me?

15. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Mine works fine over 3g.

I don't try to stream video with it or anything though.

16. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

From their FAQ section:

https://secure.logmein.com/US/support/pro2/

17. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the input all. so the $30 one off payment does that version include sound support or is that in the other models or not at all?

18. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Does logmein handle getting past firewalls automatically without having to port forward?

19. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

$30 does not include sound support. That's part of the annual subscription plan.

However, if you're thinking of using it to watch video (for example, to keep your video collection on your computer hard drive, and remotely access and view the videos on the iPad), be aware that it basically won't work even with the subscription. You'll be dealing with seconds per frame, not frames per second.

20. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Yes - it's almost the whole point of the service...

21. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I use Logmein Free and it's great. With the iPad app it's even better! I can use it to remote into my office PC too. Great product.

22. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

How much bandwidth does this app take? If I use this on 3g, will it just gobble up all 250mb?

23. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

I don't think the data use would be much heavier than typical Web browsing (like using this message board) but not positive. The data would primarily be used by receiving frames of the screen you're controlling every couple of seconds.

24. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

not sure if people really answered the question...

I have it - works great.

The app for the iPad is $30 - one time payment.

You can upgrade to a "pro" service, which includes audio, and some other features like file transfer. There is a regular subscription fee.
    The $30 iPad app "comes with" the Pro features for the first month... and they'll send you regular e-mails begging you to upgrade permanently so you don't lose those features...

You do need to install an application on any PC or Mac which you'll be "logging-into". This is free... so you can install on as many computers as you want.

Anyway, they really did a good job with the interface IMHO... two fingers does a "right-click", click-n-drag is supported, zooming in/out works well... It's hard to explain in words how the mouse pointer is controlled, but basically your iPad becomes a big track pad, so you use it to move the mouse pointer around - you don't directly "touch" the items on your remote PC/Mac (which wouldn't work anyway). Have fun with it... best app I have on my iPad, and well-worth the $30.

25. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

LogMeIn on iPad is worlds better than the desktop client!