Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Original poster
maybe someone here can help me out...i'm thinking i need a logo for my new business.

i don't have much money but i'm willing to pay a few bucks if i get results...or, maybe put a link to your site on mine or something. anyway, i've registered thee domain MacLessons and have done a quick three page site which will suffice for now. i would love to get a quality logo to design a site around, and to print on business cards, and mousepads for clients etc.

anyone have any ideas? willing to help me out (in return for something) ?

thanks very much!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Keep it simple

A tip: choose a logo that will work in just solid black on white before worrying about colour or gradients within the artwork.

Ideally, the logo should be reproducible and clear at small sizes on a variety of different media from print, web and other surfaces.

See what it's like reversed out from a dark background, try it in different positions on stationery, avoid something that's too wide or long... think about all its possible uses before committing yourself to one design. It's not something which you'll want to change in a hurry.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Original poster
cheers for that one, i kinda knew that already though, maybe should have mentioned it.

i've been in pre-press for years, (oh, thanks to you i found that pre-press forums, great site!) so i realise the importance of keeping it simple...i'm simply using the lucida grande typeface (to match Apple) at the moment. but i need something a little more distinguished shall we say.

i was thinking something close to the whole Apple corporate identity, but then i was thinking how about something organic, not too dissimilar from Adobe's CS logos these days. i live in (the legendary) Woodstock and there's a bunch of writers etc up here, something "earthy, organic, natural" etc could be nice, and (think) different

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
evoluzione said:
hmm...could be interesting....simple enough though d'ya think?

Just an idea...

It was just the organic idea with the Apple association and also with the education thing. After all, don't you usually bring an apple to teacher? :)

Anyway, I'm sure others will come to you with ideas. I'd offer to throw a few ideas together myself for you but I'm deep in other stuff at the mo for work.

Good luck!

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
This is kind of an aside, but if you want to match apples font, you should probably use Myriad instead of Lucida Grande. They seem to have 'Switched' . . .

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 243

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
hmm here's an idea that popped into my head

maybe two hands cuped together with the apple logo in it, possibly an outline apple logo

i do not know if a company already has a logo of this.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Original poster
eva01 ... thanks. i like that, suggests to me that you'll have support with your apple [computer].

i've been thinking about the apple picked from a tree thing, then got thinking about a simple apple drawing on a chalkboard, something along those lines. seeing as it's Mac Lessons, gives it a learning theme perhaps.

anyone have any more ideas? or even feel like drawing something up?

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
eva01 said:
hmm here's an idea that popped into my head

maybe two hands cuped together with the apple logo in it, possibly an outline apple logo

i do not know if a company already has a logo of this.

yes, numerous, one i could think of off hand is allstate insurance. i believe their moto i "you're in good hands with allstate". it is a classic idea though. :rolleyes:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i like the chalkboard idea, you could use the apple logo as a base, and make it seem drawn in chalk with some erasure marks and all, could easily be one color - white or black

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Those are some good ideas guys. I am behind the Apple on the chalkboard idea. Just have 5 lines or so and a black apple laid over them, with a piece of chalk added in or something. Other than that, I cannot think of anything too stellar...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Do you want something similar to the Apple logo or your own version....I don't know if there you're going to need to worry about trademark infringement, I've seen plenty of logos that come close to Apples....

D

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
i could probably design one for you, i really like the apple drawn in chalk or even the classic apple on the teachers desk( with a ruler or a pencil or something).

one thing you really need to keep in mind is copyright infringment, apple is a real shark when it comes to that, especially if you're going to use this logo for
a money making venture.

the other catch is that i will be able to maintain the right to use the logo in my personal porfolio, if you use it that is. i would also need some info from you as i would use it on my resume. if you want to see some samples of other logos ive done please email.

if you agree will the terms, i'll treat you professionally as i do this kind of stuff for a living...isn't it great :D

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
*sigh* i wish i didnt install Tiger so soon. Photoshop has been acting a little weird after the install. Im to lazy right now to recreate the logos i made.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Original poster
thanks for all the replies everyone.

and the offers...

mnstr_trd_sd - i'm fine with those "terms" but how much would you charge, if anything??

ok, so i've had a couple of people throw some ideas and designs at me, none of which i'm like "Yes! that's it!" about. don't think i mentioned it in this thread beofre, but i live in Woodstock, and there's a lot of laid back people here (shocking huh?), and there's a lot of people that care too, about the environment and that buy decent local organic produce and that sort of thing (as do i) so something kinda fluid and organic for a logo would be cool. also, orange is my favourite colour, so that would be nice to work into it all (but still live up to a black and white ad). to give you an idea, a couple of my fave logos right now are the Cingular splat guy thing and a logo for my buddies site moosedesign, borh of which i've included below.....

Attachments

• logos.png
    logos.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 2,137

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Maybe a photo of theacher's table with green apple on it? Maybe make a chalkboard also visible in the scene?

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Critique?

so i've come up with something myself, after all...

i had some temporary business cards which i cut the corners off, so they were rounded, and i liked it..got me thinking about a few things...

the logo below is a first attempt, you have the orange which is good for me personally, the chalkboard style also, and it has the rounded corners that would translate well to a card. it also is the shape of the Mac Mini and the font is recognisable also as the one Apple itself uses. anyone want to critique this for me?? i can take it, don't hold back if you think it sucks! my girlfriend thinks it may look a little too similar to the GeekSquad logo, but is that neccessarily a bad thing? i'm thinking maybe not. so, what do you all think??

Attachments

• MacLessonsLogoSm.png
    MacLessonsLogoSm.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 180

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
evoluzione said:
so i've come up with something myself, after all...

i had some temporary business cards which i cut the corners off, so they were rounded, and i liked it..got me thinking about a few things...

the logo below is a first attempt, you have the orange which is good for me personally, the chalkboard style also, and it has the rounded corners that would translate well to a card. it also is the shape of the Mac Mini and the font is recognisable also as the one Apple itself uses. anyone want to critique this for me?? i can take it, don't hold back if you think it sucks! my girlfriend thinks it may look a little too similar to the GeekSquad logo, but is that neccessarily a bad thing? i'm thinking maybe not. so, what do you all think??

Not bad! :) But one thing though: I think that Apple logo shouldnt overlap with "Mac". Maybe move it a little bit? or scale down? What do you think?

Oh **** I like it!! :D I wouldnt mind having a mousepad with this logo ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.